• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As a passionate crows supporter, the death of Phil Walsh has absolutely shot me to pieces and killed any buzz there might have been for the Ashes. I'd trade every ashes victory in the country's history to have Phil back. This week has been utter hell.

I was so hoping we would get sporting pitches for this series, to have something fun, positive and engaging to watch. Something approaching a distraction from the most horrifyingly bleak time that this has been. Instead, we've been greeted with another doctored, slow, turgid piece of gutter slop. Uninspiring conditions. Uninspiring dismissals. Garbage. Negative, needlessly attritional garbage. I watched two sessions on day 1 and maybe one and a half today. I have never been so *bored* of the brand being displayed.

I don't care who's winning. Give us something worth turning on the television for. PLEASE stop doctoring wickets. You are making this **** less fun.
I dont know who you are talking about but im sorry for your loss........but this is an shockingly dire post.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have looked quite scratchy/lucky with the bat during this innings IMO, been an abnormal amount of edges plus plays and misses outside off. Johnson has definitely bowled better this his figures suggest overall but he was quite underwhelming in the 1st innings nonetheless.

Broad and Anderson bowled superbly this morning.
Might have something to do with the fact the pitch isn't easy to bat on. We have had some luck yes but we have been playing positively and now have a huge lead. This pitch will only get worse to bat on so once we go past a 350 lead that should be enough, should be looking at 450+ from here though with the batting we have left.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dont know who you are talking about but im sorry for your loss........but this is an shockingly dire post.
Don't you live in Adelaide? How have you not heard about the Adelaide Crows coach?

BTW, I've quite liked this pitch, don't see the problem with it - there has been something in it for everyone as far as I can tell.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Kinda overstating it here. He's made pressure runs, sure, who hasn't? But he's done so much skiiing it's kind of laughable.

And he's gone. Piss off, Bell. No pumping your average today.
More so than any middle order player when his side is doing well? Honestly I could name loads of instances of him getting important runs since 09. Who hasn't got loads of runs when their side is on top? You'd kind of expect most runs to be in such situations. 09 ashes at the Oval, Durban 09 (might be skiing, up for debate), Brisbane and Perth 2010/11 Ashes, Trent Bridge 2011, Auckland 2013, all three Ashes tons, Adelaide 2013, 1st test of the Windies series.

Maybe if he was better at downhill skiing his average over the last three years would actually be good.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Don't you live in Adelaide? How have you not heard about the Adelaide Crows coach?

BTW, I've quite like this pitch, don't see the problem with it - there has been something in it for everyone, hasn't it?
Yeah, it has been lambasted but batsmen can score and if you put the ball in the right areas you get rewarded. A bit slow but not as bad as has been made out by some.

Howe_zat

Audio File

BTW, I've quite like this pitch, don't see the problem with it - there has been something in it for everyone, hasn't it?
As I said yesterday it's made for quite an even contest. But the lack of pace/bounce has led to good shots getting stopped in the deep for two and thick edges dropping well short of the catchers. Doesn't really reward good cricket as much as you'd like.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

BTW, I've quite liked this pitch, don't see the problem with it - there has been something in it for everyone as far as I can tell.
Nah, Vic......and I just got back from the UK for a month yesterday so am not up to speed with local news.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the pitch has been really fair in that it hasn't really advantaged or disadvantaged any type of cricketer in a massive way (other than perhaps not being great for short, fast bowling) and hasn't changed in character much, but it's not made for attractive cricket due to its slowness. Not easy to get batsmen out but not easy to score quickly either.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Y'know, even if we lose this test I'll be happy seeing that Starc finally replaced sledging people with looking really annoyed at them.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Its not an ideal wicket I agree, but anyone that thinks it's doctored hasn't seen any cricket in Cardiff before.

Uppercut

Australia have bowled quite well this innings imo. Maybe a little unlucky to be in such bad shape. Root playing so so well though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah the pitch has been really fair in that it hasn't really advantaged or disadvantaged any type of cricketer in a massive way (other than perhaps not being great for short, fast bowling) and hasn't changed in character much, but it's not made for attractive cricket due to its slowness. Not easy to get batsmen out but not easy to score quickly either.
Run rate suggests otherwise. The teams have probably made it look better than it is but it has been a pretty entertaining test.