• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
B
1) Virender Sehwag
2) Rahul Dravid
3) Bradman
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) Viv Richards
6) Garry Sobers (5)
7) Imran Khan (3) (c)
8) Adam Gilchrist (wk)
9) Malcolm Marshall (1)
10) Wasim Akram (2)
11) Muralitharan (4)
Why Sehwag and Dravid?

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
My All Time World 11

01> Sunil Gavaskar
02> Sir Vivian Richards
03> Sir Donald Bradman (C)
04> Sachin Tendulkar
05> Brian Lara
06> Sir Gary Sobers
07> Adam Gilchrist (+)
08> Malcolm Marshall
09> Wasim Akram / Dennis Lillee
10> Shane Warne
11> Glenn McGrath

12th Man - Dennis Lillee / Wasim Akram

To begin with

Gavaskar - I wanted to pick Hobbs but then he played like a 100 years ago and I am not sure of his skills a lot since never seen him even on any footage. Hard to pick him based on what wisden/cardus/fry say but then I don't think Gavaskar would be too bad a replacement either.

Viv @ 2 - Sure to raise eyebrows. I wanted someone like Sehwag to open the innings but not Sehwag since he is so unreliable - Viv the destroyer fits the bill. He used to bat at 3 and has 12 tons, even has a ton while opening and avges most at opening and 3 .... Who are we to argue if the great man can open or not ? .... He can do anything and will play the role of an aggressive opener. Gavaskar and Richards would compliment perfectly.

Bradman @ 3 - No doubt he was the best....

Sachin @ 4 - Superb player who was good at defense and could play smooth aggressive too if required.... the sheer weight of his runs and he is tried and tested played who has played 3-4 generations of bowlers....

Lara - 5 might be a little low for Lara but then with so many great batsmen in the side he can play freely and would be a dangerous asset for the team here. Lara at his best - no better sight

Gary @ 6 - No explanation needed.... an extra spinning option he provides which is so good...

Gilchrist - 400 dismissals as keeper and destroyer .... no explanation needed

Bowlers :

McGrath, Marshall and Warne for all conditions .... These 3 bowlers are fixed ..... !

Outside Asia -> Lillee becomes an automatic choice in the 11 and Akram becomes the 12th man.
Inside Asia -> Akram will play in the 11 and Lillee will be the 12th man.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
B

Why Sehwag and Dravid?
I figure ATG teams put a premium on icing players because there's already so much cake in the team. I don't really need Hobbs if I can have Sehwag to score almost as many runs at a strike rate that leaves me more time to bowl the opposition out.

Dravid's in there because I reckon modern openers are simply better than the really old guys on account of having to face more professional bowling. I'm sure many will disagree. He's also in there to tire the bowlers with Bradman for all the hitters that come in from 5-10.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Len Hutton
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Donald Bradman*
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Wally Hammond
6. Garry Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist+
8. Imran Khan
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
I always find it funny when guys who were not even born during the times of legends like Trumper/Hobbs/Hammond/Hutton and most probably even haven't seen their footage pick them in their squad ahead of Sachin, Gavaskar, Lara, Richards whom at least we have seen live or have tons and tons of footage to decide how good they were. With Bradman he has a genuine case which is too compelling in his favour but others? doubtful... Same with Syd Barnes. No one has ever seen him bowl and yet lot of people actually put in their all time ahead of tried and tested bowlers. Astonishing!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always find it funny when guys who were not even born during the times of legends like Trumper/Hobbs/Hammond/Hutton and most probably even haven't seen their footage pick them in their squad ahead of Sachin, Gavaskar, Lara, Richards whom at least we have seen live or have tons and tons of footage to decide how good they were. With Bradman he has a genuine case which is too compelling in his favour but others? doubtful... Same with Syd Barnes. No one has ever seen him bowl and yet lot of people actually put in their all time ahead of tried and tested bowlers. Astonishing!
If you refuse to rate cricketers whom you haven't seen then don't ****ing call it an all time XI.

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
1 Gavaskar
2 Hobbs
3 Bradman
4 Lara
5 Tendulkar
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist
8 Imran
9 Procter
10 Hadlee
11 O'Reilly

Last edited:

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
Didn't you check the thread title?

It is
'Live and Footages seen by KINGOFKINGS IX + Viv Opening + Bradman because Bradman'
Ha Ha .... Ok but seriously.... I am clueless on how to compare someone like Syd Barnes with someone like say McGrath. What should I take into consideration ?

Maybe I should take a good look at his stats and figure out that he picked 6 out of his 7 10W hauls against minnows SA? But then people have still picked him in their all time 11 ..... I wonder what criteria they used to declare him that good ? .... Honest query that is from my side ... not mocking anyone's choice.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
let's hear first what were those criteria upon which bradman got selected in that xi

01> Footage of Bradman is available.
02> 99.94 is way too big an average while legends in his time like Hutton/Hammond/Headley all avged 55-60% of him. If someone says he would avg 50 today it would be as ridiculous as saying Hammond/Headley would average 30 today and if you say they both would average same then it again wouldn't make sense which means Bradman was special.
03> Moreover what we know of Bradman isn't just about what we read here and there by old writers. People like Richie Benaud, Davidson etc etc have seen him and judged how good he was even with the modern day players. If they say he was that damn good then he really was and he has the numbers to back him too with footages.

Bradman surely has these things in his favour compared to Syd Barnes / Hobbs who don't match with any of these criterias. You don't have footage of them, and no one alive in our time has seen them to rate them with current blokes and say yes they were better ...... !

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
I'm pretty sure I have seen footage of Hobbs at least somewhere, and yes, people who were still alive in the 70's and that, rated him higher than Gavaskar. Former players who saw/played with him and lived through the following decades still spoke of their brilliance. Barnes, yes nobody has footage of him, but literally every single player who saw him or played against him rated him the best, til their deaths. I do recall a story of a touring team finding Barnes their toughest bowler on the tour, despite him having retired from international and first class cricket for some years, maybe in the 30's or late 20's?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
01> Footage of Bradman is available.
02> 99.94 is way too big an average while legends in his time like Hutton/Hammond/Headley all avged 55-60% of him. If someone says he would avg 50 today it would be as ridiculous as saying Hammond/Headley would average 30 today and if you say they both would average same then it again wouldn't make sense which means Bradman was special.
03> Moreover what we know of Bradman isn't just about what we read here and there by old writers. People like Richie Benaud, Davidson etc etc have seen him and judged how good he was even with the modern day players. If they say he was that damn good then he really was and he has the numbers to back him too with footages.

Bradman surely has these things in his favour compared to Syd Barnes / Hobbs who don't match with any of these criterias. You don't have footage of them, and no one alive in our time has seen them to rate them with current blokes and say yes they were better ...... !
wait so what is this about? are we comparing those old era players with modern era players or how someone is selecting players in ATG XI by not watching them play?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There's heaps of footage of Hutton. There's a bit of Hobbs.

Footage isn't the only thing. Read old bios and cricket books. Cricket history is meditative for me, I'm sentimental, and there's always more to learn.

Chrish

International Debutant
There's heaps of footage of Hutton. There's a bit of Hobbs.

Footage isn't the only thing. Read old bios and cricket books. Cricket history is meditative for me, I'm sentimental, and there's always more to learn.
Where can one find the footage? I can barely find 2-3 clips of Bradman and even Sobers on YouTube! Especially sobers one is surprising since logically there has to be some highlights from 60s and even 50s available but there isn't