• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think McCullum needs to stop taking liberties. I think he should play himself in a tad more. Sure, hit bad balls but try to take into account the quality of bowler, pitch, ball moving around, etc, unless is a very flat surface, I really do think he needs to show a bit more respect. He is the type of guy who will approach a hundred if he stays 50-60 balls anyway. NZ will be in a great position if he stays until the 15th-20th over, but too often, just recently, he has gone well before the 10th.

Frost

U19 Debutant
He's the captain so he's going to play the way he thinks best suits the team plan, you don't hear much complaining when he comes of.
If u take the smooth you gota take the rough.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Yes well done JB. Fantastic innings on a pitch that was a lot harder to play on than some of the others in the series.

He gets maligned for being the guy they effectively dumped Compo for which wasn't really his fault. He just wasn't good enough in test cricket.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yes well done JB. Fantastic innings on a pitch that was a lot harder to play on than some of the others in the series.

He gets maligned for being the guy they effectively dumped Compo for which wasn't really his fault. He just wasn't good enough in test cricket.
pretty much.

with the exception of that one knock against the saffers i thought he looked horribly out of his depth in test cricket and still don't wanna see him back in the team anytime soon.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
He's the captain so he's going to play the way he thinks best suits the team plan, you don't hear much complaining when he comes of.
If u take the smooth you gota take the rough.
I just think what he does is totally overstated. Fleming's myth as the great captain was that he was harnessing a team of non-stars and honest triers and making them better than the sum of their parts.
Here we have 2 of NZs best 3 batsmen of all time in the same team at the same time, plus pocket-battleship Baz, plus Boult / Southee.
Let's not be modest fellow kiwi's, it's our best team ever. A team half of which are genuine stars.
Maybe a Captain who can adopt 'plan B' as the situation dictates is what is required, rather than the gung-ho, damn the torpedoes stuff.
It's flashy and eye catching, but the likes of Williamson and Boult are the true reasons we are doing comparatively well.

Last edited:

Frost

U19 Debutant
I just think what he does is totally overstated. Fleming's myth as the great captain was that he was harnessing a team of non-stars and honest triers and making them better than the sum of their parts.
Here we have 2 of NZs best 3 batsmen of all time in the same team at the same time, plus pocket-battleship Baz, plus Boult / Southee.
Let's not be modest fellow kiwi's, it's our best team ever. A team half of which are genuine stars.
Maybe a Captain who can adopt 'plan B' as the situation dictates is what is required, rather than the gung-ho, damn the torpedoes stuff.
It's flashy and eye catching, but the likes of Williamson and Boult are the true reasons we are doing comparatively well.
Mcullum is a team man and I think the plan is for him to go out hard early knowing he has such quality to come after,the whole team are aware of this. I don't think anyone would deny Williamson's and boults importance

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Mcullum is a team man and I think the plan is for him to go out hard early knowing he has such quality to come after,the whole team are aware of this. I don't think anyone would deny Williamson's and boults importance
I'm talking about the overall strategy, as regards the whole tour - tests and ODIs - and referring also to McCullums entire tenure as captain.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bairstow looks a far better wicketkeeper than Buttler and I would suggest a better batsman as well, the latter at least for now. Let Buttler play as a batsman and get the best out of himself. Is he good enough to play as batsman only in the test side? His FC record isn't anything to write home about, but I get the impression it's taken him a few years to really mature as cricketer and is actually a far better bat than his record shows. Trescothick had a very average average when he got called up to the England squad. Maybe Buttler is another case who flourishes in greater limelight of international cricket compared to the relive obscurity of FC cricket.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Bairstow has had a try at Test Cricket and failed. He's play 14 matches averaging 26 whilst showing off some pretty bad technical flaws. He may get another go at some point in the future but he is nowhere near taking Buttler's place right now.

Buttler could play as a number 6 without the gloves but if he's getting dropped for a better gloveman it won't be for someone like JB.

And there is just no way right now that JB is a better batsman than Buttler currently.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bairstow has had a try at Test Cricket and failed. He's play 14 matches averaging 26 whilst showing off some pretty bad technical flaws. He may get another go at some point in the future but he is nowhere near taking Buttler's place right now.

Buttler could play as a number 6 without the gloves but if he's getting dropped for a better gloveman it won't be for someone like JB.

And there is just no way right now that JB is a better batsman than Buttler currently.
Agree with this, gives us a steady option if Buttler gets an injury though and we don't have to blood an untried player. Also a player we can use in shorter formats to give Buttler the rest he will inevitably need now and then.

If he had to play in the upcoming ashes for any reason he'd be the number 8 behind Stokes and Ali at 6 and 7. No problem with that.

Last edited:

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not suggesting Bairstow is ready for tests or anything but he looked much better than he did two years ago today. Played a lot straighter, looked less vulnerable to full straight bowling. He's had a very good season so far not just in scoring heavily but in scoring runs in difficult circumstances and I wouldn't write him off completely

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So much for "we can't play Bairstow"

Ginger Haters = Comprehensively **** the **** out