• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Skyliner

International 12th Man
He's much, much smarter than you'll probably ever give him credit for, which is not your fault as you don't know the guy. But he owns a sharp cricket brain and would end up a bowling coach if he didn't have bigger fish to fry. Over one series or 2 you might get lucky, but not fastest to 50 poles in NZ history (2nd overall from memory) and only last month played a massive part in Mumbai winning the IPL. If he's not nicking guys out it doesn't mean he's a pie thrower.
You're not Arthur Green by any chance?

cmon guys what ???? are you an apologist for the bowling performance last night ?
Mitchell McClenaghan divides public opinion. He has fans. They strongly believe in his 45-50 over wickets as game changing.

JediNudist, can you update that previous post already? Please. I have asked nicely.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I don't think it is coincidence every third seamer we pick becomes suddenly obsessed with the middle of the pitch.
Baz's insidious influence? The pint sized Napoleon. If he wants to bowl he should have a crack.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Henry was talked up something chronic, but he is better than Mitch - I'll give you that.
Dissenting voices not toeing the company line. Henry's bowling is pure *** and all that.
Look it's ok to say that he bowled crap, and I'm sure that he did. But he's what, 23? He bowls late 130s outswing with a nice change-up and a bit of seam occasionally. Works for Ryan Harris. It's pretty easy to see why we like him. Wheeler also has some nice attributes. Even McCleneghan can bowl some good balls and has some skills that suit limited overs.

Remember when Boult first tried limited overs? He was carted. Thank god we didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater then.

Look it's ok to say that he bowled crap, and I'm sure that he did. But he's what, 23? He bowls late 130s outswing with a nice change-up and a bit of seam occasionally. Works for Ryan Harris. It's pretty easy to see why we like him. Wheeler also has some nice attributes. Even McCleneghan can bowl some good balls and has some skills that suit limited overs.

Remember when Boult first tried limited overs? He was carted. Thank god we didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater then.
Rhyno bowls mid 140's plus even on one leg in test cricket.

Everyone underestimates his pace.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Mitchell McClenaghan divides public opinion. He has fans. They strongly believe in his 45-50 over wickets as game changing.

JediNudist, can you update that previous post already? Please. I have asked nicely.
Heading out now. Ask an admin to do it or I'll be back in 2hrs

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Rhyno bowls mid 140's plus even on one leg in test cricket.

Everyone underestimates his pace.
Henry gets it up around there too.
Look I'm not saying he's Ryan ****ing Harris here, just that he has some good attributes for a young bowler.
They fast-tracked him into the test side for a reason. They rate him in ODIs too. These guys are going to be good.

Skyliner

International 12th Man

I agree with everything you say. The nature of fans is that 'the team' is the manifestation of our invested hopes and dreams. It is an entity that supersedes any individual playing for it. It is the nature of things that fans will praise individuals when they do well, and criticise them when they do poorly. That does mean that I am a fair weather fan. It means that I am a fan of the entity before anything else. My opinion in the now is that Henry is not all he was cracked up to be. I would be delighted if future evidence gives me a reason to amend my opinion.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with everything you say. The nature of fans is that 'the team' is the manifestation of our invested hopes and dreams. It is an entity that supersedes any individual playing for it. It is the nature of things that fans will praise individuals when they do well, and criticise them when they do poorly. That does mean that I am a fair weather fan. It means that I am a fan of the entity before anything else. My opinion in the now is that Henry is not all he was cracked up to be. I would be delighted if future evidence gives me a reason to amend my opinion.
ok. Well I have seen plenty to suggest that he's a good bowler having a tough series.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I hate the culture where people that double back and attack anyone that criticised certain players.
Brendon McCullum came in for a lot of perfectly valid criticism for a long time, and I think was losing some moral authority as leader at about the time Ross Taylor was scoring heavily, culminating in a double hundred against the Windies. I think this competition spurred McCullum into knuckling down, and he went on purple patch of run scoring resulting in his triple century.
As soon as he scored the triple century, the airwaves were full of people out for blood for anyone who criticised McCullum in the past.
This doesn't invalidate the criticism: the purpose of criticism is to voice the fact that something needs to change. Something changed: McCullum knuckled down and didn't throw his wicket away.
No matter what he's done in the past, if he throws his wicket away and it hurts the teams cause, I think it's fine to criticise him.