• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wait why? Because it's Pakistan?
The no balls, and the fact that it was somewhat of a meaningless game for Pakistan, and the Amir/Asif revelation came a few months later I believe. Could obviously be a case of pressure getting to the fielding side and I'm sure there was some of that going on.

No evidence whatsoever which is why I'm saying it on a forum...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The no balls, and the fact that it was somewhat of a meaningless game for Pakistan, and the Amir/Asif revelation came a few months later I believe. Could obviously be a case of pressure getting to the fielding side and I'm sure there was some of that going on.

The spot fixing stuff came a year before in 2010.

Skyliner

International 12th Man

New Zealand's top scorer could have been out for nought, had Akmal not missed a regulation edge from Taylor in paceman Shoaib Akhtar's second spell.

He also dropped Taylor in the same Akhtar over when he had made just eight.

Was Ross's 27th birthday.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The bowling and fielding from Pakistan in that game were farcical.

Kamran also dropped Scott Styris off the bowling of Shahid Afridi in 31st over.

I also remember Younis shelling a simple one in the outfield in the same match.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@merido
I have had a bit of experience with captaincy, and feel being an extrovert is an advantage but is not the be all end all as you say. Nonetheless it is an advantage as extroverts are often better socially and people skills are a big part of it. That comment is a bit of an exaggeration but all the best salespeople are extroverts and I regard sales skills as a good proxy for raw people skills.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I wouldn't have ever classed Fleming as an 'extrovert' but then I never experienced the NZ changing rooms, so I'm not an expert on his personality.

Niall

International Coach
The bowling and fielding from Pakistan in that game were farcical.

Kamran also dropped Scott Styris off the bowling of Shahid Afridi in 31st over.

I also remember Younis shelling a simple one in the outfield in the same match.
Kamran Akmal has always struck me as one of the more honourable men in cricket though. :)

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
@merido
I have had a bit of experience with captaincy, and feel being an extrovert is an advantage but is not the be all end all as you say. Nonetheless it is an advantage as extroverts are often better socially and people skills are a big part of it. That comment is a bit of an exaggeration but all the best salespeople are extroverts and I regard sales skills as a good proxy for raw people skills.
to me it's mostly about consistency in personality. You want your captain to be a guy who's gonna act more or less the same no matter what time of day, and who will always be open for a chat with a team member. He doesn't have to be the most outgoing guy.

Meridio

International Regular
@merido
Well, again I don't entirely agree - 'being an extrovert' and 'people skills' are not the same thing, and nor does the former necessarily lead to the latter; I could for example say (making a big generalisation) that extroverts don't tend to have great listening skills, which I would say is critical to leadership. And I completely disagree that the best salesmen are extroverts; in my line of work in particular overly flashy salesmen types tend to get viewed quite suspiciously, and the best sales reps I've dealt with have been pretty undemonstrative chaps. But hey, I'm a cynic.

Anyway, this is all very speculative and the subjects of leadership and personality are far more complex than simply 'extroverts' and 'introverts', particularly when it comes to judging people solely by their apparent persona that we pick up courtesy of media interviews and things. But I would say that Kaneh has probably captained every team he's ever played in (or close to), and I don't think I've ever heard any complaints about him from a man-management point of view, and he's well-respected within the team, so I wouldn't have any concerns about his suitability for captaincy from that point of view.