• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Any reason you left Root off that list with Amla, AB and Kane?

To me when he scores it looks effortless.
I really rate Root. I would have him between Kohli type and Amla Williamson type.

Root reminds me of Ponting and potentially just as good. Forceful and smart. But Williamson and Amla just look like they're scoring slowly. But they're not.

My test and ODI line ups right now would be the same players to a very large degree.

Amla
Williamson
Sanga (retired ODI I know)
Root
Smith
Kohli
De Villiers +

Just put them in an order that works. Someone has to open with Amla. Smith is lucky to make the ODI team ahead of Dilshan and other established stars but I am making a point. He would walk into my current test XI and I have faith he will learn to regularly excel in ODI cricket as well.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
So is rashid considered a serious contender? I've seen people calling him to be in the ashes. He just looks too slow and doesn't do enough with the ball though. The kind of spin bowler that steve smith and clarke eats up.

So is rashid considered a serious contender? I've seen people calling him to be in the ashes. He just looks too slow and doesn't do enough with the ball though. The kind of spin bowler that steve smith and clarke eats up.
I think Moeen or Rashid is going to have a tough time against Australia, in tests or otherwise.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Oh no doubt, though for moeen it's mostly if he can actually get his rhythm back, because he look out of sorts recently. For rashid it's mostly me wondering if he has the right ingredients in the first place. If moeen bowls the way he did in the indian series I think he could at least reasonably tie an end down when he started to bowl faster. With rashid he just looks really easy to milk.

Oh no doubt, though for moeen it's mostly if he can actually get his rhythm back, because he look out of sorts recently. For rashid it's mostly me wondering if he has the right ingredients in the first place. If moeen bowls the way he did in the indian series I think he could at least reasonably tie an end down when he started to bowl faster. With rashid he just looks really easy to milk.
If Jeets Patel is the best spinner in county cricket, you got problems.

I mean you produce a turning track, Lyon is better than anything England has. Produce a seaming wicket and you're worried about Rhyno, Hazlewood and Mitch. If you play in swinging conditions, Mitchell Starc then gets a call up.

On the plus side, you may well have a better batting line up that Aussie. Buttler looks better than Haddin. Cook could be back in great form. Root is a real doozy. Prepare some lively pitches and shoot out Australian's batters and back your batting line up to get more runs than Australia? Australias seam bowlers are excellent - but their batting bar Warner, Smith and Clarke is fragile.

#SceneIsSetForSpectacularAshesRecallOfPietersonToPlayWinningAshesRole. Can see him hugging Broad in victory celebration. #matesagain

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taylor possibly more deserving of an ATG ODI spot than Martin Crowe.

Better slip, better runner, and better batsman in that format. The whole package.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Taylor possibly more deserving of an ATG ODI spot than Martin Crowe.

Better slip, better runner, and better batsman in that format. The whole package.
Not to mention an ODI average of 43 compared to Crowe's 36 (different eras of course, but still, Ross = the Boss)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Fair enough.

For what it's worth, here's what our ODI top 4 average over the past 2 years:

Guptill 37
McCullum 28 (at strike rate close to 200)
Williamson 60
Taylor 58

In good news, NZ has moved ahead of India and taken its rightful spot on the podium in test cricket.

NZ is also on the podium for ODI cricket, possibly building the future Aus NZ series' as a contest for the best overall team in international cricket.
(If you think that is a daft statement, ask yourself whether you think the phrase "international centuries" is daft as well.)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Ross Taylor is the best ODI batsman we have ever produced.

There I said it.

That ND bastard will take his mantle but until then Ross is Boss.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not to mention an ODI average of 43 compared to Crowe's 36 (different eras of course, but still, Ross = the Boss)
Ross Taylor is the best ODI batsman we have ever produced.

There I said it.

That ND bastard will take his mantle but until then Ross is Boss.
Dammit my plan I hatched at 12pm was to come into the thread and be the first person to post "Ross is Boss" but I have been gezumpted twice.