• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Yeah but I found his endless sequence of half volleys a little concerning too.
TBH I think apart from Boult (who is showing he will be one of our best ever bowlers since Hadlee) and a few from Santner the bowling has been absolute dribble from both sides. Complaining about the field restrictions leading to huge scores just masks the facts.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The bowling and fielding, that is. The current regulations reward teams who can take wickets. If you're dropping catches then no **** you're going to be looking at a big score.

If they want to even the balance just don't make the pitches so flat.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
The bowling and fielding, that is. The current regulations reward teams who can take wickets. If you're dropping catches then no **** you're going to be looking at a big score.

If they want to even the balance just don't make the pitches so flat.
Yeah NZ dropped a few in the second ODI aye 'catches win matches'

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The issue here is that D/L doesn't take into account momentum. England may have lost two wickets in two balls right before the rain break and then we would say NZ were favorites at that point. But D/L only sees runs, balls, and wickets in hand.
I don't know if that's really an issue. Momentum can completely change in the space of a single ball.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Just watched the highlights. Yeah it's getting to the point where sides are employing death batting throughout the whole innings.
I think the difference is that the better a side is, the more aggressively they will be able to play for longer. The better sides can afford to be. McCullum can hit out because he knows he's got Williamson and Taylor coming after him. Warner can hit out because he's got Smith and Clarke after him. The weaker sides have to try and keep wickets in hand still.

In any case, the better bowling sides must adapt to death batting throughout the innings. The Black Caps' run at the last CWC was mostly based around getting 10 wickets so that run rate over 50 overs doesn't become a factor.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southee has everything going for him today. Be interesting if he can get his radar right.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't believe Brendon McCullum called the first two pitches "outstanding cricket wickets". Err no that would imply there was a genuine contest between bat and ball.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Injuries happen, cotton wool etc etc
This type of injury MAY be due to wear and tear (or admittedly a number of other reasons) if so then resting him may have been preventative.

Personally I would like to see a whole different bowling attack for limited overs cricket (except at world cup time).