• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Harrier

Cricket Spectator
This doesn't look like a 398 pitch, think NZ were about 20 or 30 short. Let's see if their slow start comes back to bite them!

That doesn't have a lot to do with England tbh, that happens in the overwhelming majority of matches with massive first dig scores like this. Without question the biggest problem with these sorts of matches. Unless you have someone like Virat Kohli in your team (okay, unless you have Kohli full stop), these just tend to peter out into a brief nothingness.
Yes, but he's playing now, unlike Gibbs, hence why he's actually relevant to this discussion.
So emperically according to you only Kohli can chase these scores but only Gibbs has significantly contributed to a succesful chase of a score this large, but that is not relevant because Gibbs no longer plays, and Kohli does, but not for a team that is playing this match, but that is relevant?

I am not convinced only Kohli can chase these scores.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
So emperically according to you only Kohli can chase these scores but only Gibbs has chased a score this large, but that is not relevant because Gibbs no longer plays, and Kohli does, but not for a team that is playing the game, but that is relevant?

I am not convinced only Kohli can chase these scores.
Yes, because we are talking about cricket now. In 2015. With cricketers who are playing now. Otherwise you might as well pick Viv Richards and Don Bradman for all I care.

Kohli has chased enormous scores regularly in the recent past (multiple 50 ball 100s, including one absurd 330 run chase in about 38 overs), so I'm pretty comfortable in thinking that he'd be a good shout at one day to chase down 400, if he ever has to (which I don't think he ever has)

Yes, because we are talking about cricket now. In 2015. With cricketers who are playing now. Otherwise you might as well pick Viv Richards and Don Bradman for all I care.

Kohli has chased enormous scores regularly in the recent past (multiple 50 ball 100s, including one absurd 330 run chase in about 38 overs), so I'm pretty comfortable in thinking that he'd be a good shout at one day to chase down 400, if he ever has to (which I don't think he ever has)
Amla De Villiers and Miller with Faf.

Warner Smith Maxwell and Faulkner.

Those are two combinations that wouldnt give up at half time.

Plus I think NZ would try with Williamson Anderson McCullum and Guptill firing with Elliot and Ronchi.

The more these ridiculous scores get posted, the greater chances of a succesful chase.

Last edited:

Shortodds

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
McClenaghan on a hiding to nothing here. just doesnt have the pace to bowl where he seems to want to.

What is his success built on, variable bounce pitches?

Spark

Global Moderator
Amla De Villiers and Miller with Faf.

Warner Smith Maxwell and Faulkner.

Those are two combinations that wouldnt give up at half time.

Plus I think NZ would try withWilliamson Anderson McCullum and Guptill firing.
Kohli is just well, well above them though. Warner is a myth in ODIs, Smith has the right feel for tempo but hasn't been proven in making those absurd chases look trivial, Maxwell would (and has) just hit one in the air after hitting a few sixes and Faulkner is your last 15 overs man, not your bat-through, get 120* man. SA are an atrocious chasing team, one of the worst amongst decent sides.

As for NZ: I'll believe it when I see it. Like Australia they'd prefer to not have to chase that many in the first place.

Niall

International Coach
Also, times are changing, teams can score massively these days and unless its an associate or Pakistan chasing, you should never prioritise personal milestones over the team, Taylor played well today, but he slowed down towards the end and the innings stalled somewhat as he approached his century.

A few years ago, it wouldn't have been a huge issue as you'd fancy the chasing side to fall in a heap with any sort of target, but these days every few runs count.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, times are changing, teams can score massively these days and unless its an associate or Pakistan chasing, you should never prioritise personal milestones over the team, Taylor played well today, but he slowed down towards the end and the innings stalled somewhat as he approached his century.

A few years ago, it wouldn't have been a huge issue as you'd fancy the chasing side to fall in a heap with any sort of target, but these days every few runs count.
They bowled okay to him tbf and he got tired. It happens.

Harrier

Cricket Spectator
Was nice of England to be sporting and slow down a bit, giving New Zealand that maiden in the fourth over to repay the favour from the first over of the NZ innings. All square now though. Game on!

Skyliner

International 12th Man
McClenaghan just bowls pies....his success was often against sides like the West Indies in NZ where they seemed all at sea against all bowling, and he just cashed in. We should have given Wheeler a crack today.

Shortodds

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lovng mat Priors comments about doing the math about where to take the ball as a WK. Wonder if all teams have that level of analysis, seems like a very english 2012 trait.