• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I guess what surprises me is the fact that they don't think the public will be absolutely gagging for Tests against Australia.

I still think there's a lot of commercial viability in not only the ticketing but also the broadcasting rights for a Test series between the current number 2 vs number 4 ranked sides. Particularly if the away series goes decently.
While tests are still quite popular in NZ, I think it's pretty undeniable that ODI's have broader public appeal, especially following the world cup. And yeah, day-night ODI's will be a lot more lucrative for the NZC, especially given the Aussie-NZ time difference.

NZ's biggest problem is its time zone. Outside a few die-hard cricket fans in the West Indies, most people will be either in bed or at work during the time of the games. That's why the NZC is so keen to make day-night tests work.

Last edited:
While tests are still quite popular in NZ, I think it's pretty undeniable that ODI's have broader public appeal, especially following the world cup. And yeah, day-night ODI's will be a lot more lucrative for the NZC, especially given the Aussie-NZ time difference.

NZ's biggest problem is its time zone. Outside a few die-hard cricket fans in the West Indies, most people will be either in bed or at work during the time of the games. That's why the NZC is so keen to make day-night tests work.
The work component is ubiquitous. Get fans after work for the final two sessions on week days and improved tv audiences at home.

Day night tests in May in England would be a tad nippy.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ are a good team but I think people are over hyping them slightly.

Let's look at their results objectively:

A 0-0 away draw with Bangladesh - so so result
Beating the WIndies twice (home and away) - yeah good but the WIndies are undoubtedly the weakest test team at the moment even if they do have some promising youngsters coming through.
Home wins against India and Sri Lanka - neither of whom are particularly good touring sides. And really had Kohli not dropped a dolly of Mccullum, NZ would almost certainly have lost that wellington test.
Away draw against England - a decent result but let's not get carried away. England aren't that strong - I would have been more impressed has NZ actually won the series. The way they were unable to force the issue in that first test from a position of strength is telling.
Away draw with Pakistan - probably their best result but again it was hardly a vintage Pakistan side. The fact that Pakistan spanked the Aussies 2-0 just before is more a reflection of how overrated Australia really are.

So in short, while I think they've played well I still don't think they've achieved anything really special. If they can beat OZ away later this year or even draw in Oz and maybe win or get a draw in India next year I'd start getting more excited.
Yeah you're absolutely right, if you take away all those games we are probably 8th on the rankings. Good eye.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Does anyone think we wouldn't be strong favourites against any Asian team in home conditions right now? I really think only South Africa or Australia would be more likely against us in NZ.

Spark

Global Moderator
Does anyone think we wouldn't be strong favourites against any Asian team in home conditions right now? I really think only South Africa or Australia would be more likely against us in NZ.
Don't think that's primarily to do with the conditions tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't think that's primarily to do with the conditions tbh.
I don't think we would definitely be favourites in India or the UAE but you'd probably be close to putting it at evens if not.

I mean we still don't really have a spinner.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I'm less happy about converting a Test to 3 ODIs for Australia when we're already going to have faced down an OD only tour from Pakistan during January (5 ODIs, 2 T20s) plus 3 ODIs versus Sri Lanka in December. To me, across one summer 8 ODIs sounds like a reasonable return. As it is, we will now have an unsatisfactory 2 Test tour from Sri Lanka followed by another unsatisfactory 2 Test tour from Australia in February. It's all well and good for White and McCullum to be saying that we want to be playing more Tests and minimum 3 Test tours, but it isn't a good look when within a week you're downgrading the 3 Test tour you had booked to a 2 Tester. In fact, it smacks of more newspeak from the cretinous White.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm less happy about converting a Test to 3 ODIs for Australia when we're already going to have faced down an OD only tour from Pakistan during January (5 ODIs, 2 T20s) plus 3 ODIs versus Sri Lanka in December. To me, across one summer 8 ODIs sounds like a reasonable return. As it is, we will now have an unsatisfactory 2 Test tour from Sri Lanka followed by another unsatisfactory 2 Test tour from Australia in February. It's all well and good for White and McCullum to be saying that we want to be playing more Tests and minimum 3 Test tours, but it isn't a good look when within a week you're downgrading the 3 Test tour you had booked to a 2 Tester. In fact, it smacks of more newspeak from the cretinous White.
Why is the SL tour only two tests, i know it has always been this way but it is fundamentaly wrong. We really dont have much of a soap box to stand on if we whinge about only getting two match series vs the big 3 but we only play two tests against SL & Ban.
Maybe they are not commercially viable but that is once again the same argument that is used by the big 3 against playing NZ in 3-4 test series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are a good team but I think people are over hyping them slightly.

Let's look at their results objectively:

A 0-0 away draw with Bangladesh - so so result
Beating the WIndies twice (home and away) - yeah good but the WIndies are undoubtedly the weakest test team at the moment even if they do have some promising youngsters coming through.
Home wins against India and Sri Lanka - neither of whom are particularly good touring sides. And really had Kohli not dropped a dolly of Mccullum, NZ would almost certainly have lost that wellington test.
Away draw against England - a decent result but let's not get carried away. England aren't that strong - I would have been more impressed has NZ actually won the series. The way they were unable to force the issue in that first test from a position of strength is telling.
Away draw with Pakistan - probably their best result but again it was hardly a vintage Pakistan side. The fact that Pakistan spanked the Aussies 2-0 just before is more a reflection of how overrated Australia really are.

So in short, while I think they've played well I still don't think they've achieved anything really special. If they can beat OZ away later this year or even draw in Oz and maybe win or get a draw in India next year I'd start getting more excited.
But what you've just described places us exactly where we are in the rankings. No one's saying we're the best in the world. We're an attacking cricket side that deserves to be 4th in the world (possibly third) and with series' against Australia and SA to come, are placed as well as we ever have been to compete well. No one's saying we'll beat em. So no one's overhyping them at all unless you think 3rd/4th isn't a fair ranking?

It's hard to take you serious when you throw something as flippant and erroneous as Kohli 'not dropped a dolly'. For a start, it was a one-handed left-handed catch that didn't stick. If we're to readdress every Test in history that could've changed on a flashpoint like that, it'd be a complete nonsense. Stuff like 'Had McGrath not stood on a ball, it would've been 5-0' is horse ****. That's sport. If he'd been shot by an Englisman on the grassy noll, fair enough. But he wasn't. And Kohli dropped a catch, which happens throughout every Test in history. So you're probably actually underhyping us. We've not lost a series in how long? 2-3 years? That is seriously impressive.

Spark

Global Moderator
?

I was sure that the Aus tour to NZ would be three Tests.

edit: I just saw the article. If that goes through you instantly forfeit your right to complain about short Test series.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Oh FFS, that belongs in the doom and gloom thread under a sub heading of "David White: I just don't get it".
My thoughts exactly. I suppose White has to spin it due to commercial imperatives, but losing a test against Australia is awful news.

HeathDavisSpeed

What really irks me about this Test downgrade is that Australia have always treated NZ cricket like poor cousins and thrown us a few scraps when they're bored. Now, they schedule 3 Tests home and away and we say, "Nah, we don't want 3 Tests thanks mate." That's bull****. Look at cramming in some ODIs before or after the Test series if you really want them but don't spurn the scraps that are sent in our direction FFS.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What really irks me about this Test downgrade is that Australia have always treated NZ cricket like poor cousins and thrown us a few scraps when they're bored. Now, they schedule 3 Tests home and away and we say, "Nah, we don't want 3 Tests thanks mate." That's bull****. Look at cramming in some ODIs before or after the Test series if you really want them but don't spurn the scraps that are sent in our direction FFS.
If you look at the schedules for the two teams, it's clear that there's really no time to do this. It's a real whistle-stop tour squeezed in between NZ's obligations with Pakistan and Australia's obligations with South Africa.

HeathDavisSpeed

If you look at the schedules for the two teams, it's clear that there's really no time to do this. It's a real whistle-stop tour squeezed in between NZ's obligations with Pakistan and Australia's obligations with South Africa.
Well, save the ODIs for another time. Pakistan are coming over for a one day only jolly, so I'm sure Australia are capable.