• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Short of a Trott-like meltdown, I'd hate to see him jettisoned mid-Ashes, simply because I couldn't conceive of anyone being a significantly better bet at this stage and we need to be sticking with someone in that position. tbh any opener we pick could very easily fail against the Aus attack, so we may as well grit our teeth and put up with it for the longer gain.

Bell, otoh, may well be inviting the axe if he doesn't get his arse into gear. Which is just about the only scenario where I'd be happy to see KP in the side this summer.
Bell would have to be **** sticks through the whole ashes to get dropped imo.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Anyway Yorkshire CCC tweeting that the rain has stopped and the covers are coming off so we might start at 11.

NZ have a great chance to skittle England under the cloud and then make hay when the sun shines late.

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
Yeah, that's the feeling I get too. You know when you just have a gut feel about a player? My instinct is telling me he doesn't have the game for the heat of an Ashes contest. Which is probably incredibly unfair on him since he has just scored a ton against a very good attack and I know nothing of his FC career.

Hope I'm wrong.
Short of a Trott-like meltdown, I'd hate to see him jettisoned mid-Ashes, simply because I couldn't conceive of anyone being a significantly better bet at this stage and we need to be sticking with someone in that position. tbh any opener we pick could very easily fail against the Aus attack, so we may as well grit our teeth and put up with it for the longer gain.

Bell, otoh, may well be inviting the axe if he doesn't get his arse into gear. Which is just about the only scenario where I'd be happy to see KP in the side this summer.
Last year, both Lythe and Hales had very good FC seasons. I think you're both wrong :D :
-Lythe is more than you think he is
-There is an alternative.

Stapel

International Regular
Yeah, that's the feeling I get too. You know when you just have a gut feel about a player? My instinct is telling me he doesn't have the game for the heat of an Ashes contest. Which is probably incredibly unfair on him since he has just scored a ton against a very good attack and I know nothing of his FC career.

Hope I'm wrong.
Bell would have to be **** sticks through the whole ashes to get dropped imo.
Agreed. I am worried about his fielding though. Probably just a coincidence.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, because in New Zealand it's always seen as incredibly mean and unnecessary to call out a dull and stale-witted bore for dragging down the whole mood of a room, isn't it Phlegm. There's always been a curious safety in numbers there that the generators of original content and original thoughts don't enjoy. You can besmirch the latter with tinfoil hats to your heart's content; they're expected to just self-deprecate and roll with the punches, time and time again.
Nah, fair cop. There's no defense for a straight-out character assassination on a perfectly good poster such as Mike5181.

It's the old adage; attack the post. not the poster. As Flem said, you're normally better than that.

Zinzan

I understand the reasons....but how good would it be if this was a damn 3 match series with the way the cricket's been to date.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
no one bothered for a reason.
But a lot of people are claiming that his batting records have improved because of this new attitude. What if that is just correlation, and not causation? What if he is going through his career peak, but actually not getting the best out of said peak by employing this method.

social

Just been watching the highlights of the first 2 days and seems obvious that the Kiwis are in with a real shout here

Tbh, they deserve to be as they have played very positive cricket and seem have bowled immeasurably better than the Poms but without much luck

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
But a lot of people are claiming that his batting records have improved because of this new attitude. What if that is just correlation, and not causation? What if he is going through his career peak, but actually not getting the best out of said peak by employing this method.
I don't know and don't care because it's entertaining as **** and gets results

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Just been watching the highlights of the first 2 days and seems obvious that the Kiwis are in with a real shout here

Tbh, they deserve to be as they have played very positive cricket and seem have bowled immeasurably better than the Poms but without much luck
It's probably hard to see from the highlights but there was a good two hour period yesterday when the Kiwi's were bowling absolute tripe.

Stapel

International Regular
I don't know. If Lyth bags 2 pairs or gets injured i think they might just gamble on Hales as an aggressive option. Especially if we're getting beat and looking timid.
Lees will be the next opener we use. Hales won't open in a test match.
Well, I can't tell what selectors think about Hales. It's my opinion he should open for England. And he isn't an aggresive batsman as FC cricketer.

social

It's probably hard to see from the highlights but there was a good two hour period yesterday when the Kiwi's were bowling absolute tripe.
Must've been for England to get away on this pitch but I cant believe that they served up the same amount of rubbish as Broad plus there were a huge amount of false shots from the Englishmen

Last edited:

Zinzan

There was some tripe for sure, but let's not pretend NZ weren't unlucky not to pick up 1-2 wickets prior to that last hour either.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Must've been for England to get away on this pitch but I cant believe that they served up the same amount of rubbish as Broad plus there were a huge amount of false shots from the Englishmen
Cook batted very well in the first session and Lyth was alright too albeit a bit luckier. Boult and Henry bowled pretty well early on, Southee bowled a couple good overs but it was a pretty poor couple of spells by his usual new ball standards. Didn't see any of the last session.

Flem274*

123/5
it's not really unlucky if the opposition play well. it's not a crime to be beaten, it's a crime to nick it or get castled. hit it properly or miss it.