• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's a damn good fightback. There were balls going past the edge the whole innings so it's great that batsmen finally edged a couple. Still a lot of work to do to get through this partnership and Moeen, preferably while the ball is still new.

After that it's time for Yorkshire's favourite son (Kaneh) to give us a defendable target and the rain to stay away.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Forecast for tonight doesn't look too bad - might be a delayed start, but looks like it'll clear up from midday onwards, so fingers crossed we get close to a full days play.

As ever the first half hour is crucial. It's going to be murky and damp, so things will be in the bowler's favour. Strike early and we could get get a handy 50ish lead, which looked unthinkable about half an hour before stumps.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully for England Lyth doesn't go down the Compton and Robson avenue.

Looked nicely sorted in between the rippers during that short ball spell from Southee and Henry early in the day too. A taste of what's to come no doubt.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bloody hell I checked the score in between ****tails at about 11 last night here and England was 1/200 odd. Now it's shaping up as a cracking match.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great last hour for NZ. Obviously the 2nd new ball was a huge factor, but I never felt we were far away from a momentum shift like this.

As well as Cook & Lyth played (and they did play well), NZ couldn't buy wicket for most of the day in spite of going past the bat enough times and forcing enough false strokes for 2-3 wickets before tea.

I know Henry received a lot of criticism for his pitch map and he was loose at times (although he was asked to bowl short), but honestly thought he could have had 2-3 wickets on his own on another day during his first 10 overs or so.

Just once again illustrates what a momentum game cricket can be. When it rains, it pours.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyth is perfectly poised to be dropped halfway through the Ashes.

The Wheel is forever.
Yeah, that's the feeling I get too. You know when you just have a gut feel about a player? My instinct is telling me he doesn't have the game for the heat of an Ashes contest. Which is probably incredibly unfair on him since he has just scored a ton against a very good attack and I know nothing of his FC career.

Hope I'm wrong.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah, that's the feeling I get too. You know when you just have a gut feel about a player? My instinct is telling me he doesn't have the game for the heat of an Ashes contest. Which is probably incredibly unfair on him since he has just scored a ton against a very good attack and I know nothing of his FC career.

Hope I'm wrong.
He's definitely got a good technique again fast-medium swing. Plays late, generally under the eyes, knows where his off-stump is. Decent pull once he got going. The australian attack is a totally different style, and no amount of county cricket can prepare you if Johnson is in form

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see (thanks to Andrew Alderson) that we haven't had a test 100 at Headingley (Fleming's 97 in 2004 is the highest). I hope that stat changes today (or early tomorrow)

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah look I'm your number one fan but this is too far. Don't be a **** you're better than this post.
Yes, because in New Zealand it's always seen as incredibly mean and unnecessary to call out a dull and stale-witted bore for dragging down the whole mood of a room, isn't it Phlegm. There's always been a curious safety in numbers there that the generators of original content and original thoughts don't enjoy. You can besmirch the latter with tinfoil hats to your heart's content; they're expected to just self-deprecate and roll with the punches, time and time again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, because in New Zealand it's always seen as incredibly mean and unnecessary to call out a dull and stale-witted bore for dragging down the whole mood of a room, isn't it Phlegm. There's always been a curious safety in numbers there that the generators of original content and original thoughts don't enjoy. You can besmirch the latter with tinfoil hats to your heart's content; they're expected to just self-deprecate and roll with the punches, time and time again.
I definitely take your point, and I'm sure you're not surprised that I sympathise slightly, but you're basically channelling Blocky and benchmark00 right now and that's obviously not cool. You cant play the genius oppressed by the tyrannical majority and the people's champion at the same time, which is basically what you've tried to do by both deriding CricketWeb's groupthink and boasting about the calls for you to post more in your last two posts.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think his success as a batsman has got more factors involved than just "he has decided to say **** it and attack".

First, giving up the gloves would have had a positive impact on his batting.

Second, this may be the prime batting period of his life, regardless of his approach, in terms of how his technique and temperament have come together with his hand-eye coordination. For example, Shiv Chanderpaul had his batting prime in mid to late 30s without having to change his approach. Sometimes it all comes together.

I think Baz might be wasting his peak a little with his approach right now.
Comments...?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that's the feeling I get too (about Lythe). You know when you just have a gut feel about a player? My instinct is telling me he doesn't have the game for the heat of an Ashes contest. Which is probably incredibly unfair on him since he has just scored a ton against a very good attack and I know nothing of his FC career.

Hope I'm wrong.
Short of a Trott-like meltdown, I'd hate to see him jettisoned mid-Ashes, simply because I couldn't conceive of anyone being a significantly better bet at this stage and we need to be sticking with someone in that position. tbh any opener we pick could very easily fail against the Aus attack, so we may as well grit our teeth and put up with it for the longer gain.

Bell, otoh, may well be inviting the axe if he doesn't get his arse into gear. Which is just about the only scenario where I'd be happy to see KP in the side this summer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I definitely take your point, and I'm sure you're not surprised that I sympathise slightly, but you're basically channelling Blocky and benchmark00 right now and that's obviously not cool. You cant play the genius oppressed by the tyrannical majority and the people's champion at the same time, which is basically what you've tried to do by both deriding CricketWeb's groupthink and boasting about the calls for you to post more in your last two posts.