• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Look the main benefit that Kane got from his 2014 county cricket stint was an opportunity to play a lot of long form cricket in testing conditions. NZ doesn't play nearly as much test cricket as India and Australia, and so their players are at an immediate disadvantage during their developmental phase. Going and playing competitive first class cricket non-stop for 6 months is exactly what a talented young player like Kane needed. Somebody like Smith would probably benefit from it substantially less, because he plays a massive amount of high quality long form cricket already. Kohli would probably improve as a batsman in English conditions, but in terms of his overall record as a player I doubt it would have a huge impact.

Someone like Bravo would absolutely benefit immensely from a season of county cricket, and if he did then maybe he could hope to achieve the kind of sustained excellence that Williamson has. Given how obviously naturally talented he is, I'm sure any county would welcome him, so there's really nobody stopping him but himself.
It's interesting you speak about who would benefit and who wouldn't because a kid like Kraigg is 22 and has scored four tons in four series and averages 36 but will he be afforded the same chance? I have my doubts. And this is where NZ are benefiting because several of the NZ test players have either played county cricket or second eleven matches for a county side.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Maybe there's, uhh, a reason for that

Yes, yes, poor little Windies being passed over for mediocre Kiwi hacks. Damn Bracewell coaching Gloucestershire!

That said, Fidel Edwards is on a county stint atm and can't help but tweet how bored he is in Southampton.
Come on Dan you're better than that...the fact is it's been years since we had young talent picked up by county's even though they are doing well at international level. Yet as i mentioned in my last post NZ's players are getting a crack and fair play to them.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's interesting you speak about who would benefit and who wouldn't because a kid like Kraigg is 22 and has scored four tons in four series and averages 36 but will he be afforded the same chance? I have my doubts. And this is where NZ are benefiting because several of the NZ test players have either played county cricket or second eleven matches for a county side.
Unfortunately no tons on seamers or dust bowls though.

Howsie

International Captain
Damn New Zealand cricket think the own the game

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
you just used lots of words for no gain

join the dark side and see the sense WW talks. i used to hate him but now i think he's got good points.
Lol, what a Bravo-esque attitude. WW's posts are the county cricket of CW. Yeah the standard isn't always the highest, but it's the sheer weight of practice in frequently unforgiving circumstances that is critical to helping the development of my posting. Talented, flighty ****s like yourself would be far superior posters if you were to set aside your pride, take time off hobnobbing with marquee posters like Spark and GIMP and engage in the mud with WW for 6 months or so.

Flem274*

123/5
you had me until "marquee posters like GIMP"

let's not get carried away now. GIMP is a true four star champion aka **** and that's why we love him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd certainly like to see Brathwaite over there, yes. He's the kind of guy I think would learn a lot from a full-season county stint.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to say PEWS, but then I thought giving two Aussie posters such a public thumbs up in the middle of the BOTM sent the wrong kind of message.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Lol, what a Bravo-esque attitude. WW's posts are the county cricket of CW. Yeah the standard isn't always the highest, but it's the sheer weight of practice in frequently unforgiving circumstances that is critical to helping the development of my posting. Talented, flighty ****s like yourself would be far superior posters if you were to set aside your pride, take time off hobnobbing with marquee posters like Spark and GIMP and engage in the mud with WW for 6 months or so.
Flem loves my style really...And deep down I'm sure he appreciates my words of wisdom.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'd certainly like to see Brathwaite over there, yes. He's the kind of guy I think would learn a lot from a full-season county stint.
100% agree and the funny thing is we've got Jimmy Adams as the coach of Kent and Toby Radford, who has vast links to WI cricket and is coach of Glamorgan yet neither are even looking at our players 8-) .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Right we are finished with the WW discussion (by royal decree) the game is starting

Post in here plox when the CW commentary is on.