• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
And while I'm on my hobby horse, why waste all those minutes checking no-balls and hitting bat - how about you look to see if it can be given out based on where it hits and where it's going. if those are out, check for the bat and the no-ball. I know if it's a no-ball or he's hit it you don't have to carry on, but I'd say 9 times out of 10 the issue is line or height, not bat. If the umpire gives it not out because he thinks he's hit it you could check for that first.... Just of many many things that might speed the game up.
Isn't that because it takes a while to calculate the hawkeye portion of it?

Antihippy

International Debutant
Missed the first session due to Masterchef but it seems like it's going to be a cracking match. Good counterattack by root and stokes.

How does lyth look before he nicked off? I know there's not much to go off.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Missed the first session due to Masterchef but it seems like it's going to be a cracking match. Good counterattack by root and stokes.

How does lyth look before he nicked off? I know there's not much to go off.
Oh you don't want a Rob Quiney "that was a pretty good 9" do you?

Antihippy

International Debutant
Mate, it's the only good TV show on australian TV, though that's not saying much. :P

Oh you don't want a Rob Quiney "that was a pretty good 9" do you?
Yeah true, though I'm mostly just fascinated if england can get one opener to stick around with cook any time soon.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah I rate it. He's no Graeme Swann, but he's not far off in terms of how he looks, I reckon. I suppose it's not exactly the classical offie's action but I'm a big fan. Watching him on TV also does no justice to how effortless his action looks in person imo. You get a better sense of it when you see him bowling in the nets alongside other guys.
Yeah, it had a very different look even from the front on camera that they showed.

Just feel like he opens up a little bit, and that there's more energy to be had out of his action, especially the front after going past rib height. I guess that's a side effect of making it look so "effortless" but I think it takes away from the drop out of the sky. Even the cut shots that Root played earlier, the balls weren't that short but he was easy to read without that extra bit of drop.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It's going to be a really interesting second session, as both sides so far have shown the potential to totally dominate.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, it's the only good TV show on australian TV, though that's not saying much. :P

Yeah true, though I'm mostly just fascinated if england can get one opener to stick around with cook any time soon.
I will do a tum tum and give you a review based on the 12 or 13 balls he faced for the lols
He understands the job of an opener and even if Warne was pissed with him he did the right thing by being defensive.
His balance and footwork at the crease are good. He suffered by newboyitis and looked like he was expecting the bowling to be FC standard and got surprised by some world class bowling instead. He will learn and grow from it, Cook looked the better opener and managed to suck his bat inside the line of some gems while Lyth nicked off eventually.
Disclaimer I need to see more of him to know how good he is or isn't

Last edited:

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Root is world class,but some of the others have been poor today. Lyth you can't really fault, but cooks shot was bad, and ballance was absolutely piss poor. Bells was a beauty so you can't really call him out on it. Unfortunately for Lyth it seems a lot of England 'fans' have already written him off.
As an England fan I don't think we're in that bad of a position. One of the best players in world cricket at the crease looking on form, and as we know from perth stokes can fight when hes in a tough position. Definitely glad Ali didn't come out at 6. These 2 to push past 180, Buttler to carry it on, and the lower order and we can get 300. Absolutely ridiculous having Wood at 10 though.
Am I overthinking this or was it a **** move by Cook to send Lyth down to face the first ball on debut, knowing the bowling is quality?

Antihippy

International Debutant
I will do a tum tum and give you a review based on the 12 or 13 balls he faced for the lols
He understands the job of an opener and even if Warner was pissed with him he did the right thing by being defensive.
His balance and footwork at the crease are good. He suffered by newboyitis and looked like he was expecting the bowling to be FC standard and got surprised by some world class bowling instead. He will learn and grow from it, Cook looked the better opener and managed to suck his bat inside the line of some gems while Lyth nicked off eventually.
Disclaimer I need to see more of him to know how good he is or isn't
Haha, alright, thanks for that. Certainly hope I get to see more of him.