• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
There's really no way to tell when the Duke's going to duck back in and when it isn't with Wheeler there. It's a natural variation that didn't often come to the fore in his spells in the Georgie Pie Super Smash.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I had assumed this Edgar quitting thing was a bit of a beat-up but having read the articles am now fairly disappointed. Whether the world cup seating problem was a petty squabble or not, our selections have been quite good for a wee while now and our identification and promotion of young talented players probably even better. Edgar must have been responsible for a lot of that. No direct quotes but the following (from here) sounds well, competent and professional.

Nothing unusual but it doesn't take much to recall past eras with bizarre selections and numerous players with nose out of joint as a result.

There's quotes from him in the other article on man of the moment Wheeler:
B.L. Cairns was also a fan of Wheeler, tbf. No links for that, but trust me on this.

Howsie

International Captain
If he didn't pick up an injury at the time Wheeler would've made his test debut before Trent Boult.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If he didn't pick up an injury at the time Wheeler would've made his test debut before Trent Boult.
Based on what, precisely? Boult had a better season than Wheeler in 2010/11 and was taking wickets for fun in 2011/12. As far as I'm aware, this warm-up series is the first time Wheeler has been anywhere near the selector's thoughts.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm interested to know what will happen if Henry and Wheeler play in the same team. Is the world ready for so much ***iness in one lineup?
People will get disorientated as they're basically a mirror image of each other, action-wise. Relentless.

Howsie

International Captain
Based on what, precisely? Boult had a better season than Wheeler in 2010/11 and was taking wickets for fun in 2011/12. As far as I'm aware, this warm-up series is the first time Wheeler has been anywhere near the selector's thoughts.
Boult, Bracewell and Wheeler all made the Emerging players squad back in June 2011. John Wright was a massive fan of Doug Bracewell but he really liked Wheeler as a prospect who had just come of a breakthrough first class season. Talked to Grant Bradburn who was the coach of that team and he thought had Wheeler not gotten injured at the beginning of that tournament he thought he would've gone to Zimbabwae (instead of Bracewell).

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
So why exactly has Williamson not been given an early release from his IPL team? He hasn't been used since the second game ffs.
I am surprised Kane has not pushed hard for a release, probably could have forced his was out if he needed to.
Really he is giving up 10k (5% of his annual income probably) for a chance of a century at lords.
The whole IPL thing has been a failure for Kane, he ripped up his three year contract with yorkshire to go there and has played one game and earned probably less money than he would have at yorkshire.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Hopefully KW and Corey get back in time for the second warmup. A chance to adjust to local conditions is probably more important for the batsman than it is for Southee and Boult.
I just worry about the length they bowl when they come back, could be abit short and it wont be as easy to fix on the fly without bond there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised Kane has not pushed hard for a release, probably could have forced his was out if he needed to.
Really he is giving up 10k (5% of his annual income probably) for a chance of a century at lords.
The whole IPL thing has been a failure for Kane, he ripped up his three year contract with yorkshire to go there and has played one game and earned probably less money than he would have at yorkshire.
He's their reserve batsman. If one of their other internationals goes down with an injury he'll likely be called upon, so I can understand SRH's hesitancy to let him go - especially given how they're on the cusp of a semi-final place. It's annoying from an NZ perspective, but not really surprising.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I just worry about the length they bowl when they come back, could be abit short and it wont be as easy to fix on the fly without bond there.
Eh, really not that worried about it. Bowlers have to be used to switch between T20 and test match lengths on the fly, a couple of experienced pro's like Southee and Boult really shouldn't have a problem with it. Southee has also been hitting a great test match length with his new ball spells at RR anyway.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else think this whole KP thing is going to make England more vulnerable? Going to be massive pressure on them to not lose now.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else think this whole KP thing is going to make England more vulnerable? Going to be massive pressure on them to not lose now.
Yeah, I definitely do. The whole series is going to be a 'Where's KP' sideshow in pressers and newspapers. New Zealand should welcome it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think there should be a "Like" and a "Super Like". Would click the latter for this post. I assumed when Kane went to the IPL it was part of some master plan he had rather than a cash grab. I presumed he wanted to play in front of very large crowds. If that was his goal then he didn't achieve it.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I don't know if kane had a specific plan but tbh why the **** wouldn't you try it? You've only got 10, maybe 15 years as a pro cricketer might as well try all the **** you can.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if kane had a specific plan but tbh why the **** wouldn't you try it? You've only got 10, maybe 15 years as a pro cricketer might as well try all the **** you can.
If being an experientialist is a goal of his then I expect to see him on a reality show shortly bungee jumping off the Auckland Harbour bridge.

I am winding you up.

Look everything that Kane has done in the past 5 years appears to have been single minded. He even took up table tennis as his hobby to help his hand eye coordination for batting. Who actually picks their hobbies to help with their cricket game. Well Kane does.

I guess it is out of keeping not for him to have a master plan for each move he makes. There is a reason why he is one of the finest batsman in the world for his age.

If the logic you have presented is what has gone through his mind then someone has influenced Kane to be more open to trying things just for the sake of trying them. And I am not sure who that would be.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I definitely do. The whole series is going to be a 'Where's KP' sideshow in pressers and newspapers. New Zealand should welcome it.
Not now, he is injured so would have missed this series anyway. Maybe the ashes will but for now ECB have a reprieve. If only they had waited a few days before the Strauss statement.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
People tend to put the KP sideshow behind when the actual cricket starts tbf. There might be complaining from disgruntled fans but the media won't focus on it.

Squad announced today. Guess it'll be the XI who played in Barbados, with Lyth in for Trott, and maybe Plunkett and Wood to make 13. I'd consider playing them both at the expense of Jordan and Stokes.