• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Niall

International Coach
So is Taylor going to be fit for the third test? If not, they need another bowling option, these 4 won't win you a test. It seems very harsh on Blackwood as he is young and only got a century the other day, but he may have to be the one to miss out or they get him to open or do something leftfield to get rid of Devon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think if you asked them before the series started what they would've done should they find themselves 1-0 down after two Tests with a tiring/injured attack, they would've been reasonably comfortable dropping Samuels or Blackwood for a one-off game to fit in an extra bowler, but given they've both hit tons in the series it's much tougher. The middle order batsmen who were more or less entrencged -- Chanderpaul and Bravo -- have been the ones failing to contribute.

Perhaps Ramdin will open just as a one-off or something.

Niall

International Coach
I think if you asked them before the series started what they would've done should they find themselves 1-0 down after two Tests with a tiring/injured attack, they would've been reasonably comfortable dropping Samuels or Blackwood for a one-off game to fit in an extra bowler, but given they've both hit tons in the series it's much tougher. The middle order batsmen who were more or less entrencged -- Chanderpaul and Bravo -- have been the ones failing to contribute.

Perhaps Ramdin will open just as a one-off or something.
Its a very tough one really and it is where selectors earn their money.:)

After this collapse, I'd understand them been reluctant about dropping a batsman, but ultimately they need to win the next test and they have to take a risk. They won't beat England with this attack, its just not good enough. They need more fire power. Ramdin opening is an interesting idea, but its very hard to captain, keep wicket and open in test cricket, I doubt he would be keen. Blackwood opening could work for a one off, he may not go massive, heck he may only get 20 or 30, but would that be any worse than Devon Smith?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ramdin opening long-term would obviously be a terrible idea but it might be something they decide he can manage in a one-off capacity, given they're probably only looking at changing the balance short-term.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Really good win for England. Earned it on a tough wicket after not bowling so well for a large portion of the game. Will be keen to see what changes both sides make for the last one. It hasn't been the best series so far in terms of cricket, but I have still liked it. Love test cricket.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Holder being out kind of nixes that strategy, doesn't it?

Bringing back Taylor for him shortens the batting enough already but at least makes the attack more aggressive.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh I didn't realise Holder was actually out of the third Test. There's just no way they can go with Carlos at seven and Roach at eight IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, will go with four bowlers.. Should England bring in a different seamer for Jordan? I reckon they should but after the test win, they might not.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Their batting should be ok, 6 batsmen and Ramdin should do them.

They need a win, Taylor, Roach, Gabriel, Bishoo should be a decent enough attack. If they don't win it's hardly going to be because their number 8 was pish.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Their batting should be ok, 6 batsmen and Ramdin should do them.

They need a win, Taylor, Roach, Gabriel, Bishoo should be a decent enough attack. If they don't win it's hardly going to be because their number 8 was pish.
Yeah that's obviously fine, but if Holder is out they can't go with five bowlers as was being suggested.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Damnit, that was the first days play I couldn't watch most of. More evidence that I should give up work and just watch cricket for a living,

This I can't really comment on today, though England clearly completely outplayed us today. Can't believe shiv failed again, I'm getting seriously worried.

Holder being injured is a big shame, it will be interesting to see what they do. I thick this series has shown that our youngsters can do us proud and I would like to see them dump Devon smith and give hope a game as a result.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
They were really good back then tbf. Were brilliant at Lords in reasonably helpful conditions. Headingley was flat and sunny though.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This I can't really comment on today, though England clearly completely outplayed us today. Can't believe shiv failed again, I'm getting seriously worried.
Still one more test to pull through for Shiv, would probably be unfair to say his time is nigh but his reflexes seem to be and no doubt are waning. Which is unfortunate for a man so busy in his technique.

Even more unfortunate given who's coming to dinner after this tour

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
They were really good back then tbf. Were brilliant at Lords in reasonably helpful conditions. Headingley was flat and sunny though.

There'll be less of a Dougeh and Wagner buffet this time, with a bit of luck. In fact 90 of these runs could be seen as a bit soft.