• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riggins

International Captain
Clarke officially retires from ODI's as of the final.

Great career. At his best in the 07 World Cup like a lot of blokes from that timeframe. What a ****ing guy.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have thought he would completely retire next summer, hopefully his back his stave off another disaster injury so that isn't the case.

cnerd123

likes this
No way are Ind or Aus favourites.

The aura around this NZ side and the performances they have put in are so much like India in 2011. Whoever comes up against them in the final is standing between them and destiny.

Even if India make the final, I'd be pretty happy in NZ won. They've had the best build up to the tournament, have picked the best balanced squad, have played the best cricket in all 3 disciplines, and the character of the side is just immense.

No bloody way are Ind or Aus favourites to anyone who has followed this whole WC and the build up to it.
In case this didn't make it clear, I am backing NZ for the final.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Apparently the Chappell Hadlee Series is back on the table and from later this year will be played on an annual basis.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Something I just thought of while I was eating my Burger King:

There are three sides in this tournament with the bowling to genuinely wreck a side: the SANZAR sides of SA, Aussie and NZ. Aussie has only played one of these teams in this CWC and lost. NZ has played two and beat them both.

Now I'm not saying we're favourites here. But there's every chance that the Aussie batting will disintegrate again.

TNT

Banned
Something I just thought of while I was eating my Burger King:

There are three sides in this tournament with the bowling to genuinely wreck a side: the SANZAR sides of SA, Aussie and NZ. Aussie has only played one of these teams in this CWC and lost. NZ has played two and beat them both.

Now I'm not saying we're favourites here. But there's every chance that the Aussie batting will disintegrate again.
NZ didn't fare to well against the aussies though did they.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Apparently the Chappell Hadlee Series is back on the table and from later this year will be played on an annual basis.
Lol.

Its either they play too often or never play. The oceania version of India vs. Pakistan.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
India v Pak has that extra charm when played in world events though. Not a big fan of India v Pak bilaterals in ODI's/T20's, could use a good test series though.

Anyways NZ's recent showing means they are becoming more profitable team to play against if Aussies want to play them more lol.

Flem274*

123/5
I seem to recall winning that game. Which means that even if Aussie gets up tomorrow it will be something of a hollow victory.
wat

if aus get up tomorrow they won't give a **** about the pool game.

the fans will remember it as an ATG ODI match in its own right but it won't be any consolation for the losers.

Redbacks

International Captain
I hope we can win. NZ have been playing consistently well so the game will be the flip of a coin, barring an individual having a career best game. Home ground advantage might just be the 5% edge we need to get over the line.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Cheering for the Black Caps tomorrow. Question to the Nz fans, how big this win will be for NZ cricket in terms of popularity among the common Newzealander if they actually do it? I understand cricket is the third most popular sport in the country?

Flem274*

123/5
Cheering for the Black Caps tomorrow. Question to the Nz fans, how big this win will be for NZ cricket in terms of popularity among the common Newzealander if they actually do it? I understand cricket is the third most popular sport in the country?
mate the hype here is insane.

speaking of which boys, this has been your one week window to get chix complimenting your black caps shirt.

so yeah, that's how big this is.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What team of commentators would you like Star sports to select for the final?

I suspect they'll go with the following 9; (3 at a time)

Nicholas
Warne
Taylor/Slater
Gavaskar
Bhogle
Smith (Ian)
Ganguly/Hussian
Doull
Botham/Bishop

Less likely; Wasim, Lara, G Smith, Lee, Gilchrist, Pietersen,

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Clarke is overrated as a test batsman, really. If a subcontinent player averaged 62 at home and 43 away from home, he would not be rated as highly. Case in point is Mahela Jayawardene. Now, obviously, Clarke is a very good test batsman. However, he isn't as good as he is made out to be. I wouldn't for instance, put him in the bracket of the greatest Australian bats like Greg Chappell, Border, Waugh, Ponting. He is just too good at home in tests, which gives a bit of a false impression about his over all career.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Who is putting him in the Border, Waugh, Chappell, Ponting category? I don't even think those 4 are necessarily in the same category to begin with.