• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that England have put in a counter claim means this next test is going to be played in such a great spirit.

If there was an incident on day 2 surely it would have leaked out during the test the way everything does these days. Expect there to be an investigation in which no evidence is given and both teams are told to grow up.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
The fact that England have put in a counter claim means this next test is going to be played in such a great spirit.

If there was an incident on day 2 surely it would have leaked out during the test the way everything does these days. Expect there to be an investigation in which no evidence is given and both teams are told to grow up.
The reason it didn't leak is apparently the ICC lawyer told the two teams to bang their heads together and sort it out between them. It appears Dhoni (or maybe Fletch) decided they still wanted to press ahead with a charge which is why it's been delayed.

It does seem utterly ridiculous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fletcher is a petty, ungrateful, self-absorbed, Freddie-hating ****

Granted everything between petty and **** is irrelevant to this discussion but yeah he seems a good shout

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry but England launching a counter claim straight away does make me think this is six of one half a dozen of the other

If there's evidence to the contrary I'll happily criticise Jimmy

I don't see the relevance of something Dhoni did three years ago. Might as well bring up the time he claimed KP on the bounce to the contrary as a counter if we want to look at whether he would do something unsporting?

Meh, wait and see I guess
There is no history of Dhoni making up charges to get a player banned.

There is history of him being very sporting to the English cricket team.

Considering there is little detail, jumping to the first conclusion is far more ridiculous than relying on the fact that Dhoni previously played the game in good spirit and is unlikely to be doing something seriously seriously unethical.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If Anderson does end up missing matches because of this, I have no idea who should replace him. Usually Onions would be the obvious call, but he hasn't struck me as being fit and in form this year. Finn's recovery is still a WIP. Jordan is very much a 3rd or 4th seamer. Sidebottom's about 40. Who else is there?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There is no history of Dhoni making up charges to get a player banned.

There is history of him being very sporting to the English cricket team.

Considering there is little detail, jumping to the first conclusion is far more ridiculous than relying on the fact that Dhoni previously played the game in good spirit and is unlikely to be doing something seriously seriously unethical.
Like I say, that history includes claiming a bounce catch

Tbf I think it's probably Fletcher pushing it. Regardless of sportsmanship, Dhoni would probably rather beat the strongest side possible

But honestly the whole thing seems ridiculous

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even if you include claiming the bounce catch, I can name other captains to have done it. Michael Clarke. Mahela Jayawardene. Sourav Ganguly.

None of them to my knowledge have made up that a player has done something they didn't to have them banned and not be able to play.

Its a serious allegation, and Cook is going to have to look Dhoni in the eye and shake his hand at Lord's whilst having basically said publicly in the media that Dhoni is a cheat.

If you say Dhoni is overreacting and having a wahhh I can cop that. Could be true. To say he's making this up or exaggerating it to get Anderson banned without any evidence is extremely bold.

Last edited:

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but in 2011 wasn't Bell recalled by Dhoni at the behest of Tendulkar? Was reported at the time, at least.

Even so this is such a non-issue, and I think you have to question the attitude of any side that sees a minor altercation and goes 'that's a level 3 offence, we're going to have you banned' rather than just trying to have the two make peace.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain

Burgey

The same captain who called Bell back at Trent Bridge when he was run out in 2011 is now making up the seriousness of the incident to have Anderson banned in like 3 tests time.
Give over mate. He's also the bloke who claimed a catch off Pietersen the tour before that which bounced about a foot and a half in front of him*. What he did three years ago is about as relevant as that.

In other news, getting a few nibbles here, which is promising. Salamuddin popping in with his special brand of humourlessness is always a treat.

*We won't mention St Rahul and St Sachin would have seen the ball bounce from where they were but said nothing either.

Last edited:

Burgey

Even if you include claiming the bounce catch, I can name other captains to have done it. Michael Clarke. Mahela Jayawardene. Sourav Ganguly.

None of them to my knowledge have made up that a player has done something they didn't to have them banned and not be able to play.

Its a serious allegation, and Cook is going to have to look Dhoni in the eye and shake his hand at Lord's whilst having basically said publicly in the media that Dhoni is a cheat.

If you say Dhoni is overreacting and having a wahhh I can cop that. Could be true. To say he's making this up or exaggerating it to get Anderson banned without any evidence is extremely bold.
But all this post does is illustrate the point you can't hand pick what a bloke has done in the past to determine what they're doing now, in the absence of some other evidence. Yesterday I went and saw a young bloke in Silverwater. The cops would draw attention to his juvenile conviction for a serious assault, I would draw attention to his acquittal for something similar as an adult. Neither is relevant to whether he committed the murder he's charged with.

Anyway, none of this detracts from the sensible cricketing default position that if it's Whingedia they probably made it up. The complicating factor here is Anderson really has carried on like a **** for a while now, so The counteracting default position is he's done it.

It's a tough one.

Burgey

Know it was only one match and not typical swinging conditions but Broad was an absolute country mile better than any other bowler on either side in Trent Bridge and I find it hard to believe that Anderson can suddenly become the best English bowler by far if conditions are more favourable to the James Anderson style of bowling.

tl;dr - Stuart Broad is a ****ing gun. :
Yeah but Broad is as likely to go missing for three tests now. That's his way, he drifts in and out if series a bit.

If it's hooping, Anderson is more consistently dangerous, especially off the field whilst wielding his handbag.

Burgey

If Anderson does end up missing matches because of this, I have no idea who should replace him. Usually Onions would be the obvious call, but he hasn't struck me as being fit and in form this year. Finn's recovery is still a WIP. Jordan is very much a 3rd or 4th seamer. Sidebottom's about 40. Who else is there?
Mark Ilott or Mark Ealham spring to mind. Back to 93 we go

Burgey

Why don't they just sort it our round the back of the pavilion after the ............
Heh.

If Anderson has done what's alleged he should get some kind of ban IMO. In fact, if he's done it I'd be surprised if England don't self impose one and refuse to pick him for a test or so. You can't have blokes having physical confrontations with opponents in the sheds or anywhere off field. That's for team mates to do to each other.

The Warner-Root incident springs to mind as one dealt with quickly. Of course, in that case Warner hit him and there wasn't really much argument over what went on. Nevertheless, no damage was done to Root. I don't think you can say "it's only a push". It has to be acted on or else it will escalate for sure.

Imagine a cricket match like an AFL bounce where there's lots of pushing and shoving because it's only pushing and shoving. It looks awful. Terrible look for a sport.

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
countries like england and australia are never going to challenge india. they might put up a bit of a fight just for show but at the end of the day they know who their boss is. i wonder if india will take some pity and make sure the ban in less than the full 4 tests though