• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having met him, I'm not sure whether to be incredibly thankful that I wasn't eaten, or deeply offended that I wasn't worth eating.
I bought you a beer and wedges, you're supposed to be on my side now :sadwalk:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry, the anti-Daemon lobby offered cookies. I couldn't turn that down.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Monty just got dropped from his domestic side.
LOL wat?? Welcome to 2014 mate.
After Swann, England doesn't have anyone else who can lead the spin attack. Monty might be going through a bad patch, but with the experience he has, it won't take long for him to turn it around. And I saw Kerrigan bowl, I can't judge him from one match, but I really doubt England have anyone better than Monty.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After Swann, England doesn't have anyone else who can lead the spin attack. Monty might be going through a bad patch, but with the experience he has, it won't take long for him to turn it around. And I saw Kerrigan bowl, I can't judge him from one match, but I really doubt England have anyone better than Monty.
I like Monty and if he gets his act together I definitely wouldn't mind him being the main spinner in the Winter. Yet bringing him in when he's not in form, and his mind can't be right against the best players of spin in the World is madness.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Monty has been dropped by a Division 2 side for poor form and that's without going into the whole host of off-field issues ongoing with him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Which Indian fan at the start of the match said they were looking forward to seeing how Bhuv Kumar bats and that they think he is very capable?

****ing genius call.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
It will be interesting to see India's combination in the next game. A lot of people think Ashwin should make the cut, but Ashwin's performances on pitches with lesser help for spinners has been horrible. If Ashwin doesn't do well, the other four bowlers are going to have a tough time. But the number of left handers in the English side creates a strong case for his inclusion.

On the other hand, with Binny, there's a bit of risk involved, Binny is not a bowler who'll keep the run rate down and bowl a few tidy overs like Jadeja, yes he can pick a couple of wickets but his economy rate might be a bit of an issue. And when it comes to batting, Binny is a free flowing batsmen who'll go for his shots and so is Ashwin, both are quite similar. It'll be really tough to decide the playing XI for the next game.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Which Indian fan at the start of the match said they were looking forward to seeing how Bhuv Kumar bats and that they think he is very capable?

****ing genius call.
That'd be me.

Shammi is slightly overrated among Indian fans it seems, people need to realize that the guy isn't much better than either Bhuvi or Umesh Yadav, gives waay too many freebie boundary balls to release whatever pressure might have been built up.

Daemon

****ing genius call.
I called it when he made his debut. :cool:

Calling an Ashwin and Bhuv 75 run partnership. Ashwin's due some runs and Bhuv can bat.
Mishra pretty handy with the bat as well tbf.

Dhoni Ashwin Mishra Bhuv Yadav is a really strong tail. Even replacing Mishra with Shami will mean it's one of the better tails going around.
Looking forward to Bhuv and Ashwin bringing us unscathed to 444.

harsh.ag

Jadeja | Ashwin | Bhuvi | Shami | Pankaj

Jadeja is an awful batsman. Binny is a better batting all rounder for sure. But can't see India dropping Jadeja. Dhoni's bro-mance etc.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be interesting to see India's combination in the next game. A lot of people think Ashwin should make the cut, but Ashwin's performances on pitches with lesser help for spinners has been horrible. If Ashwin doesn't do well, the other four bowlers are going to have a tough time. But the number of left handers in the English side creates a strong case for his inclusion.

On the other hand, with Binny, there's a bit of risk involved, Binny is not a bowler who'll keep the run rate down and bowl a few tidy overs like Jadeja, yes he can pick a couple of wickets but his economy rate might be a bit of an issue. And when it comes to batting, Binny is a free flowing batsmen who'll go for his shots and so is Ashwin, both are quite similar. It'll be really tough to decide the playing XI for the next game.
Jadeja's hardly been an upgrade over Ashwin. Rather, he's been a step down. Man for man, Ashwin is the better bowler, and if you're weakening your attack with four bowlers, he's the man to choose. He's played one game less abroad than Jadeja, who hasn't had a good record overseas, bar one innings in SA.

As for Binny, he's bowled 1/3rd the overs Bucky's bowled, and also scored fewer runs (as against two fifties). Renders him irrelevant in the XI. I'll still plump for Pankaj and Pandey in the XI, in place of Ishant and Binny.

Shammi is slightly overrated among Indian fans it seems, people need to realize that the guy isn't much better than either Bhuvi or Umesh Yadav, gives waay too many freebie boundary balls to release whatever pressure might have been built up.
Shami needs to get his **** together
Shami's been rushed in way too early. Look at how much (or little) FC cricket he played before his Test debut. He's worth a run because of his strike rate (vis-a-vis Ishant's 67 and Jadeja's 74) but Dhoni's tendency to make pace bowlers log more than 30 overs an innings can wear out any decent pacer. He shouldn't have bowled more than 20.

In other news, Umesh Yadav is trending in some cities.

Daemon

Shami's been rushed in way too early. Look at how much (or little) FC cricket he played before his Test debut. He's worth a run because of his strike rate (vis-a-vis Ishant's 67 and Jadeja's 74) but Dhoni's tendency to make pace bowlers log more than 30 overs an innings can wear out any decent pacer. He shouldn't have bowled more than 20.

In other news, Umesh Yadav is trending in some cities.
Can't really put that on Dhoni. When your bowling attack is ****, don't expect to be bowling 15 overs an innings.

harsh.ag

He could have bowled Binny more. I don't get the whole hullabaloo about it not being his kind of pitch. You selected him, now deal with it. Make him bowl more, or give the ball to Kohli for a bit. The reason he likes Ishant so much is just because Ishant can bowl so many overs of **** without breaking down. Horrible way of thinking about your bowling unit really. Using your best bowlers in a few short bursts, interspersed with ****ty part time bowling is much better for the team. And this was with Jadeja holding the fort at one end.

The only way I see things getting better for the pacers is both Jadeja and Ashwin playing. Otherwise, it looks like Dhoni brought so many extra pacers on the tour because he knew his style was going to lead to breakdowns sooner or later.