• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Meridio

International Regular
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy wafg.

Thoughts on a declaration? Normally I'd say give us half an hour before stumps, but unless we go ballistic we'll only be on 500ish by then.

stumpski

International Captain
Same here. Always good to get them in for a nasty half hour if you can.

How many teams have lost after making 500? It's happened three or four times in something like 2,500 Tests. Got to back your bowlers I reckon.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they will with Watling close to a tonne and the fact that the best batting conditions are right now. Maybe even bat into half the session tomorrow.
Yeah but if we do bowl them out cheaply (not counting chickens yet), I don't think we'll want to enforce the follow on anyway.

Blocky

Banned
I disagree. I think the idea that you set a total of 500 and declare in the sixth session no matter the condition is a bit brainless.

Keep grinding the Windies down, make it so you can put fielders all around the bat as the wicket starts to crumble without worrying about the runs you're giving away and wait until the pitch starts to deteriorate before you give it to the likes of Gayle in his 100th test.

Yeah but if we do bowl them out cheaply (not counting chickens yet), I don't think we'll want to enforce the follow on anyway.
Actually don't see why they wouldn't - considering it'll be Craig, Williamson and Sodhi doing the bulk of the bowling.

stumpski

International Captain
Do we know NZ's highest 6th wicket partnership against West Indies? This one is currently standing at 188.

Blocky

Banned
Who said Watling can't hit sixes....

Funnily enough, that's only his second instance of scoring runs in the V.

viriya

International Captain
If McCullum had hung around 500 with 10 overs to go would've been possible.. As it is they made it to 480.. not far off.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff from Neesham. It must have been the insight he gained whilst reading CricketWeb which has stood him in such good stead at international level.

Clearly it should be part of the education process for all young cricketers to read the contradictory and contrarian rants which we serve up on CricketWeb.

And in my view, NZ should keep batting. McCullum likely to be more aggressive than that, perhaps?

Blocky

Banned
And in my view, NZ should keep batting. McCullum likely to be more aggressive than that, perhaps?
That's my concern, McCullum will want to push the game rather than let it happen naturally. I think the natural flow of this game doesn't require a declaration in the first two days. I think even if you batted three days you've got enough time on this wicket to make something happen.

stumpski

International Captain
200 partnership up. Record: 220 by Turner and Wadsworth, Kingston, 1972.

Ah, saw that, thanks. And is this the first review?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Even gets out before hitting 114, not wrecking Cribbage/Kippax bets. Thanks JimmyGS.

Last edited: