• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
One day in and suddenly everything WW has said is invalidated? At least wait till the end of the series

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
One day in and suddenly everything WW has said is invalidated? At least wait till the end of the series
TBH WW was just writing about how he thought Shillingford was 'done in a WI shirt', literally days after backing him to tear through NZ. He's invalidating himself after one day on that front.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
"Nationalism"? for telling people that it's only ONE DAYS PLAY and they shouldn't get too carried away? :blink: you've got people talking about "we are only one world class player away from this and that"...i know it's your team...so perhaps realism isn't what you want to hear but i'm entitled to my opinion like everyone else. All i've stated are the FACTS...and reminded people what happened the last time these two sides met in the caribbean. It's up to you and others if you want to take it on board or ignore it....but i won't be biting my tongue for anyone, sorry.

In closing i haven't "defended" my team..infact i've done nothing but slag off the attack and also the board for what they've done to Narine..while also saying how pathetic the team played collectively...so no "flag waving" here Flem...not in the slightest.
Think maybe you should take some of your own advise when posting.

Frankly you directing this sort of post at the NZ contingent is the most hypocritical post I've seen on here in a long time, if not ever.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The point is that everyone is jumping the gun
Except for those who aren't. Which is pretty much everybody.

- Nobody's championing that the West Indies are done for the match or the series, just that they had a bad day.
- Nobody is suggesting that Kemar Roach is completely useless and should go back to playing park cricket, just that he had a bad day.
(which may be attributable to a lack of preparation thanks to his injury)
- Nobody has argued that Tom Latham is the next coming of Jack Hobbs, just that he had a good day.
(and might not be Fulton/Rutherford levels of useless going forwards)
- Nobody believes that this is evidence that New Zealand will sweep the series, just that they had a good day.
- Nobody, other than WW, has written off the threat of Shane Shillingford .
(though the belief is he has to re-prove himself as a Test bowler without the benefit of a doosra)

The facts of Day 1 are this:
- New Zealand are in a good position at 2/240, on the back of good batting by Kane Williamson and Tom Latham
- The West Indies bowling attack was sub-par yesterday, after Taylor and Benn started well.
- The status quo of the above could literally change within 20 minutes of play resuming this morning.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waiting to see how days 2 and 3 unfold before saying anything much about this game as regards who has cooked their goose etc...

As it stands a cracking knock from Latham and a brilliant ton from Williamson has set it up perfectly for NZ and Taylor and McCullum to play their natural game and up the run rate as day 2 progresses. From here NZ will be hoping for 400+ and scoreboard pressure, WI just want a couple of early breakthroughs and who knows.

Was a great day to watch, proper cricket. Beats any hit and giggle hands down.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
WW may have taken exception to my post saying that it was good of the Windies to gradually ease our batsmen into form.
The point was not that this is a bad attack.
Far from it.

If NZ had faced this attack in NZ, we probably would have lost the Wellington test and perhaps Hamilton as well.

The point is that slowly building up to Windies' best attack (and with some help from India) has helped our batting order to develop and grow in confidence to the point where they're more capable of facing good attacks.
Roach at full fitness, with Taylor bowling well, may have blown us away here.
But he didn't. And that's given our batsmen confidence. So when they face him at full fitness, they may be more capable of dealing with him than they otherwise would be today.

It's like lifting weights. You're not going to be able to deadlift 300kg without training, and attempting that would screw you. But building up to that helps.

I think NZ have been lucky in that the quality of attacks they've faced over recent months have gradually improved, and that's worked in our favour.

Flem274*

123/5
it's imperative KW finally goes properly big tonight and that ross continues to glorify in his newfound ability to ski downhill rather than only score runs when we're in trouble. mccullum is great at putting the boot in so hopefully he plays a good hand too.

patience the key. if roach continues to melt down we're either going to get plenty of samuels or some very tired frontline bowlers later in the day. if roach pulls himself together then we have a big day ahead of us.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
They don't call him Big Daddy Kane for nothing. He's due a Big Daddy Hundred.

And a gold chain. Can't forget that.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Let him get to drinks, then hopefully lunch before the talk about double tons starts. In many ways it was good for us that the Windies remained positive. If the pacers and fielders had really slowed it down towards the end of play they might have only bowled 90 overs (as was required) and KW could still be in the nervous 90s.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Regarding your conspiracy theory. I agree with it. I think the Windies do get shafted on a regular basis based on games have seen. It is because you are lowly ranked at the moment and umpires seem to pick on such teams. However whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere and secondly it sounds ridiculous because apart from me everyone else is going to think you are smoking something for even suggesting it. I would keep that theory to being conversation piece amongst you and your friends (even though you have a case IMHO).
Nah, umpires are far too conscious of being made to look foolish by the DRS technology for any such shenanigans these days. Doubt there would even be any unintentional/subconscious bias happening, umpires would want every decision to be their best. Unless of course, you're suggesting something more sinister.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, umpires are far too conscious of being made to look foolish by the DRS technology for any such shenanigans these days. Doubt there would even be any unintentional/subconscious bias happening, umpires would want every decision to be their best. Unless of course, you're suggesting something more sinister.
Some truth to this - I have a firm example of the ball pitching 6 inches outside leg stump and being given against them but that was indeed before DRS. That particular decision ruined a gutsy come from behind partnership they were putting on as well and then they collapsed and lost the game. I have seen other strange decisions go against them more recently but none I can put my finger on right now.
I didn't even see the Latham no ball so I can't really weigh too far into this topic Zinzan :)

Last edited: