• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
The link said we will be doing 3-4 over spells for the seamers this series. That does not stand us in good stead, despite it being sensible if the weather demands it.
I read it as being this match to get everyone use to the conditions assuming that it is 15 man game and everyone gets a bowl

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
WW and Beamer.

Can you please give us a review of each pitch for the three test matches. I have heard that St Lucia is pacey. Or was so in recent years.
1st Test, Jamaica: Has been getting gradually slower but still not as bad as most pitches in the Caribbean and occasionally the pacers get carry to work with. Fast bowlers get a bit of seam movement, particularly on days 1 and 2. The ball spins pretty big and fast from day 1 usually. Benn loves bowling there as he gets ludicrous bounce from his height. Harbhajan also got a shed load of wickets each time he played there.

2nd Test, T & T: Slow but with good each way movement for the seamers on day 1 and can sometimes swing a bit. Good turn for the spinners on most days and on day 4 and 5 the ball starts keeping low. Unless the weather is horrific it is usually a result wicket. f Southee and Boult are to run through West Indies on our own pitches, I reckon this is their best chance.

3rd Test, St Lucia?: Good pace and carry by modern Caribbean standards and a bit of swing in the morning, but lots of runs tend to be scored there at international level as it flattens out and batsman can hit through the line quite nicely. It will spin later in the test but not as much as Jamaica.

Sorry, had to edit this post, got my venues mixed up, I reckon T & T is New Zealand's best chance so they'll be well positioned if they come out of Jamaica having avoided defeat.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
If either Boult or Southee is injured, that means Wagner taking the new ball. That would be horrible.
We lose, as simple as that if either of those two are injured, or left out (if you would believe some reporters)

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I read it as being this match to get everyone use to the conditions assuming that it is 15 man game and everyone gets a bowl
Nah it said three to four spells for each bowler. So Hesson wants to get more overs into his true Test bowlers, if anything.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Guyana has been stripped of its hosting status for the third test, starting on June 27. A new venue will be confirmed tomorrow, with Barbados and Dominica likely candidates. In announcing the shift, the West Indies board said it disagreed with the Cricket Administration Bill that was passed by the government of Guyana.
Heavy hitters bolster Black Caps in West Indies | Stuff.co.nz

What's all this internal harji bharji with Guyana all about Beamer/WW?

91Jmay

International Coach
As long as the pitches aren't utter ****e this should be a stonking series. West Indies tests normally have solid time differences as well.

WindieWeathers

International Regular

WindieWeathers

International Regular
1st Test, Jamaica: Has been getting gradually slower but still not as bad as most pitches in the Caribbean and occasionally the pacers get carry to work with. Fast bowlers get a bit of seam movement, particularly on days 1 and 2. The ball spins pretty big and fast from day 1 usually. Benn loves bowling there as he gets ludicrous bounce from his height. Harbhajan also got a shed load of wickets each time he played there.

2nd Test, T & T: Slow but with good each way movement for the seamers on day 1 and can sometimes swing a bit. Good turn for the spinners on most days and on day 4 and 5 the ball starts keeping low. Unless the weather is horrific it is usually a result wicket. f Southee and Boult are to run through West Indies on our own pitches, I reckon this is their best chance.

3rd Test, St Lucia?: Good pace and carry by modern Caribbean standards and a bit of swing in the morning, but lots of runs tend to be scored there at international level as it flattens out and batsman can hit through the line quite nicely. It will spin later in the test but not as much as Jamaica.

Sorry, had to edit this post, got my venues mixed up, I reckon T & T is New Zealand's best chance so they'll be well positioned if they come out of Jamaica having avoided defeat.
Personally i think it's NZ are relying on Trinidad to save them then it's gonna be a hard tour because you only have to look HERE to see that though pace certainly played it's part where Winwards was concerned Trinidad still took 14 wickets via spin. And with us having Roach and Taylor in the mix we're gonna be dangerous is the track is quick anyway.

On another note there's whispers that the third venue might be Barbados!!..which is taking more and more spin these days..the last game on it was HERE where big Benn got himself 8fer and the Jamaica spinners (Jacobs and Miller) had some fun aswell.

BeeGee

International Captain
No Fulton? Interesting.

How did Williamson go out?

And now Taylor is out playing on.

104/4

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just found out the lad who got two of the wickets (Chris Powell) is only 18 YEARS OLD!!... and as you can tell from THIS picture he's got some height on him!!...fantastic to see so many talented prospects emerging for us now. Ramaal Lewis, the off-spinner who got two wickets in the last game is only 17 himself...another one to watch out for as his WI u19 record is actually a LOT better than Narine's was which is interesting.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
LOL yep Kippax is spot on :D ..Jacobs had a very good debut season for Jamaica in Odean Brown's absence so it's gonna be interesting to see how he goes from here...Kippax did you post the Powell wickets mate?