• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone know if there's Foxtel coverage of this series in Australia? Should be good to watch.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm kind of glad that the selectors are showing persistence with the openers and not just dumping them after 2 or 3 bad performances. Having said, Fulton was ghastly in all but one of last season's 5 home tests, and he's got - at most - only a couple of years left in the bank. Maybe Hesson rates him as a better player of spin (he certainly batted better in Bangladesh than Rutherford did). Still, I'm surprised to see he's favoured to hold onto his place.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm kind of glad that the selectors are showing persistence with the openers and not just dumping them after 2 or 3 bad performances. Having said, Fulton was ghastly in all but one of last season's 5 home tests, and he's got - at most - only a couple of years left in the bank. Maybe Hesson rates him as a better player of spin (he certainly batted better in Bangladesh than Rutherford did). Still, I'm surprised to see he's favoured to hold onto his place.
If we're talking flat tracks then Fulton's the pretty obvious choice as someone who is not going to throw a score away after an attractive 30.

Howsie

International Captain
I'm not. As much as I'd love to see Fulton gone do you honestly believe Rutherford will last five seconds once the spinners come on, especially if they're both off-spinners. Fulton might not score any runs but I'd back him to last a little longer than Rutherford. That and he's a decent slipper, Rutherford doesn't offer that.

Although if it's a Latham-Rutherford combo I'll be just as happy. At least Rutheford is good to watch, good or bad.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
A good way of rating one cricketer against another is who you'd want in your side. I'll take BJ's 8-run higher average and ultimate team man status to the bank over Mr 'Talk Nah'.
You can have Watling with his team man status and excellent keeping to pacers.

We'll have Ramdin for his leadership capabilities and flawless keeping to spin bowling.

As they both average exactly the same as each other over the last 2 years and the two teams have very different bowling attacks, that's what it comes down to. So we're all happy :)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Not sure that individual players matter that much here, NZ has clearly been bowling as a pack for the past two years and will likely keep doing it. Roach is probably the only guy who can do a Johnson and blast a side out but if he doesn't (and maybe even if he does) I'm picking 3-0 to the BCs here.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd vote Watling for Prime Minister if I could so I think that should tell everyone what I think.
but if he doesn't (and maybe even if he does) I'm picking 3-0 to the BCs here.
you're ****ing brave

I think the West Indies are more likely to sweep the series if anyone does. this is their turf and it's not very friendly to nz's strengths or weaknesses.

Flem274*

123/5
im still sad henry isn't on tour as well. back watling to survive the series, fly someone over if needed and let latham take the gloves in an emergency. you don't need two and a half wicketkeepers on tour in a world where planes exist. boom space for henry.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure that individual players matter that much here, NZ has clearly been bowling as a pack for the past two years and will likely keep doing it. Roach is probably the only guy who can do a Johnson and blast a side out but if he doesn't (and maybe even if he does) I'm picking 3-0 to the BCs here.
It's pretty easy to imagine Narine running through the black caps. Especially in a decent sized chase.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ has been bowling as a good fast-bowling pack for a while, but I can't remember the last time a NZ spinner put in a match-winning performance, given that it's the spinners who are really in the game in WI conditions I'd say that's way too much of a burden on the pacers if they're gonna win three-zip

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I get the feeling that Watling is on a pretty tight leash tbh.
Yeah true. Note Hesson's talk of how important Ronchi's presence is on this tour with a properly ripping and bouncing ball to contend with.

@westindies

#JAMvNZL: There are no 11s declared. . .Both sides pick from their full squad, but only 11 can bat or field

#JAMvNZL: NZL won the toss and chose to bat

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
NZ can't name an XI. Pretty sure they only have 10 guys over there...

Hesson to get a run?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
My Kiwi friends...the current score between the Jamaican select team and NZ is 33/2 Rutherford and Fulton gone early.. HERE is a link to watch it live.