• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And, you can open the batting with him and hence not drop Neesham :ph34r:
that would be ***c.

Latham (mvp)
Tastle (6)
Williamson (7)
Taylor (2IC)
McCullum *
Anderson (5)
Watling (w)
Neesham (4)
Southee (1)
Wagner (3)
Boult (2)

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It's a very brown wicket block at Napier for this match. And Astle has cashed in to an extent, while Nethula has been out-bowled.

Anecdotally - without doing a stats search. These last 2 seasons, with the Ford Trophy moved to the tail end of the season has seen a corresponding drop in the number of wickets for spinners in the Plunket Shield. No March/April FC cricket.

A few years ago Martin, Astle, Nethula, Patel often finished near top of season wicket takers (but not near top averages)

I'm very much in favour of David Whites re-jigged season. FTR.

But maybe it could be tweaked a little bit more. 4 rounds pre-Xmas, then 3 rounds in Jan/Feb, then Ford Trophy, then 3 rounds in Match/April.

Give the spinners a late season carrot. Give all players a balance of playing in variety of conditions.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
But maybe it could be tweaked a little bit more. 4 rounds pre-Xmas, then 3 rounds in Jan/Feb, then Ford Trophy, then 3 rounds in Match/April.

Give the spinners a late season carrot. Give all players a balance of playing in variety of conditions.
Yeah I'd raise the salary package of groundsmen too, possibly attract some more versatile people who don't scoff at the narrative of an ideal red ball match.

New Zealand's supposed to be lauded for innovative agriscience, yet no kid from Massey has been able to nail down the qualities of English clays that work so much better for Jeets, and what New Zealand could do to mimmick that.

Cricket seems to be getting the duds, the 'let Bart read the sports news' graduates, who are so intransigent they've learnt a total of three recipes for a cricket match. 'Grassy then road', 'slow and true road that never deteriorates', 'accidentally dry Narine-friendly road'.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket seems to be getting the duds, the 'let Bart read the sports news' graduates, who are so intransigent they've learnt a total of three recipes for a cricket match. 'Grassy then road', 'slow and true road that never deteriorates', 'accidentally dry Narine-friendly road'.
:rofl:

Immenso

Lol. That's super Kippax

Even if I don't entirely agree. In general I like the 'improvement' in pitches last 10 years. The WOF system. Removed the lottery element. Teams should now know what sort of lineup is needed (or more realistically desired) to take 20 wickets (in a non-declaration match)

Immenso

So, on the only dry looking block I have seen this year. Astle has 12 wickets and counting with a session to go, chance of a win.

BTW. Re: Reservations about Latams double expressed to due to nature of CD attack. V Patel and Nethula bowling about 100 overs on a dry block (on paper) is a credible performance IMO.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
BTW. Re: Reservations about Latams double expressed to due to nature if CD attack. Patel and Nethula bowling about 100 overs on a dry block is a credible performance IMO.
Yeah but a lefty (and a very good player of spin bowling anyway) shouldn't have too much trouble against a leg spinner and a left arm orthodox.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
If you're getting bounced by James Franklin then Tino Best could make you his bitch and Johnson, Morkel, or Broad might kill you.

A weakness is a weakness. Kill it with fire now so when he steps up to test level he can deal with it.
Didn't kane get sconed in Bangladesh?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, great post, though surprisingly the latest Roadiversity Oval pitch looked to be pretty much perfect. Bounce and movement on day 1, flattening out on day 2 and then starting to take some turn on day 3. McLean Park also seems to have done a bit of good work, and gotten away from its "Impossible Road" ways to some extent.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
KVW must be really sick of CD collapsing around him this season. Looks like an exciting final session and I hope to see Canterbury wrap it up - looks like they deserve the win.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't kane get sconed in Bangladesh?
Yeah, fair point. Anyone can get roughed up by even a medium pace bouncer if they don't pick it up out of the hand. Will need to have a closer look at Crachopa's batting this season to see if weakness against the short stuff runs in the family, or whether the Franklin incident was a one-off.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah could easily just have been surprised, what business does Franklin have bouncing anybody?

Franklin WAG

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty hilarious that in this one match Tastle has picked up as many wickets as Sodhi has in his entire PS campaign. Regardless of whether or not he's a serious candidate for New Zealand, it's great to see a spinner win a match for his side.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Tastle with a nice 14fer.

I love Tastle for opener and keeping Neesham. But I still think they need at least one more keeper in the XI.