• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Flem274*

123/5
Disappointing that Latham couldn't get his 300, but still a magnificent season for him. To get so close to 1000 runs in just 13 innings is pretty incredible.
He didn't exactly start with a bang either. Was good but well behind other domestic openers to begin with runs wise.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly Otago don't enjoy niggly 4th innings chases in the last match of a PS season. Should've won it all last year but for a collapse against Wellington in a similar situation.
Had forgotten that. They do have a fairly combustible batting lineup at the moment - lots of attacking players who may also be prone to getting overenthusiastic and giving their wickets away.

Flem274*

123/5
I think it's time Ajaz took over as the number one spinner for us. Nethula just hasn't been the same since his test match. Has been a gun in the lower order though tbf.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Should recruit Johnston, seeing you're a dry and dusty east coast team most of the time.

Nethula just hasn't been the same since his test match.
Had a test tour rather than ever making a debut ftr. "Nethula, word from the camp is he was chronically making excuses" - Doull.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
When I first saw A Patel bowl I liked the very clean and fluent action, however there's really so little pivot in there I'd be surprised if he gets any turn even by NZ standards.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ok, let me make this in a "Captain State the Obvious Way"

Nathan McCullum is a terrible option for test cricket unless he became an option in the Top 6 as a batsman.... however, when compared to Sodhi, the option doesn't seem so terrible anymore.
No need to be a dick Blocky.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket: South Africa to tour in October - Cricket News - Radio Sport - New Zealand's Premier Sports Station

NZC head of operations Lindsay Crocker says they may have to play at non-World Cup stadiums in their short, three-match tour.

"They're in the latter stages of the ITM playoffs so again we're a little bit restricted for that...the announcement is a bit early for us really because we haven't tidied up some of those details."

Sri Lanka is already due to tour New Zealand over summer, while Pakistan's expressed an interest in playing some games.

While no venues or dates have been locked in, Crocker says it'll be around the holiday weekend.

"We'll be making sure we choose grounds that can accommodate what are probably some of our wettest times of the year, so we've got to choose our free draining grounds. Probably further north I would have thought."

jcas0167

International Debutant
Is Guptill injured? I wouldn't mind him being considered for the opening role given his previous success in the Windies (combination of county cricket form & John Wright helping him almost crack it at test level?) , and young openers from NZ haven't fared that well there historically :ph34r:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, not injured. Possibly taking a break now and off to county cricket in April maybe.

The way Edgar was prepared to lay it out for talkback callers exactly how bad Guptill's recent stats in Tests actually are, I got the feeling he's done for quite a while.

Flem274*

123/5
The kid is a run machine but something just looks off about Craig Cachopa's batting and I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's because he reminds me of a robot somehow.

Can't fault his effectiveness though.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Todd Astle appears to be the standout spinner in this years plunkett shield and should therefore be given a chance in the windies, pro's 5 years of learning his craft, done the groundwork, cons , high average but still better than any other by a margin.

Blocky

Banned
Sodhi will fly no matter what though, it's almost like an obsession now for the Black Caps management that they'll make this kid into a test cricketer some way, some how.

Personally I hope he proves me wrong and takes a bagful in the Windies, but in my view if we're relying on him versus Narine + Shillingford in the Windies, we'll be screwed.