• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
When does Nathan become an option? He's out bowling our "Test #1 spinner" and he's taken two top order NZ Players wickets in the second innings - meanwhile Sodhi has done 2/10ths of Sweet **** All.
As I think you said a few pages ago, when he's good enough to bat at 6 at test level i.e. never.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Actually seeing Todd Astle's wickets…they don't look all that impressive tbh. Some pretty rubbish players of spin bowling in that CD side. Also a couple of long hops that got wickets.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually seeing Todd Astle's wickets…they don't look all that impressive tbh. Some pretty rubbish players of spin bowling in that CD side. Also a couple of long hops that got wickets.
Generally disagree with this. Yeah the long hop to dismiss Young wasn't too flash, but otherwise most of the wickets look like pretty typical leg spin dismissals. And at least Astle can get batsmen out with his stock legspinner. Almost all of Sodhi's wickets that I've seen this season have come from his googly.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Generally disagree with this. Yeah the long hop to dismiss Young wasn't too flash, but otherwise most of the wickets look like pretty typical leg spin dismissals. And at least Astle can get batsmen out with his stock legspinner. Almost all of Sodhi's wickets that I've seen this season have come from his googly.
not really comparing him to Sodhi, but there were some damn awful shots amongst those wickets. Still, he kept a good economy rate I guess

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Two were pies, but as someone said before - dismissing guys with the stock leg-spinner, wrong-uns and what looks like toppies is fairly impressive, as is going at under 3s.

Timing-wise, this couldn't have come much better I wouldn't have thought. A real test of the Ish Project.

And Tom's double ton all but confirms him as the opener for the Windies, not that we all think taking on that attack at McLean is any gauge of how he'll go.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, flat tracks with a bit of turn is what the Windies are quite likely to prepare.

But yeah, easy runs here.
Good point, I'm not across whether their seam bowling 'attack' will be as pee weak as it was down here, but if it is it's a decent opportunity if we can find a way to negate Narine.

Blocky

Banned
As I think you said a few pages ago, when he's good enough to bat at 6 at test level i.e. never.
That's the sane approach, but in the "We must have a spin bowler at all costs" approach, I'd put money on Nathan being a better option internationally than Sodhi is.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That's the sane approach, but in the "We must have a spin bowler at all costs" approach, I'd put money on Nathan being a better option internationally than Sodhi is.
Nathan McCullum isn't an International option.

He isn't a containing bowler in Tests because he is very easy to work around for singles.

Blocky

Banned
Nathan McCullum isn't an International option.

He isn't a containing bowler in Tests because he is very easy to work around for singles.
Ok, let me make this in a "Captain State the Obvious Way"

Nathan McCullum is a terrible option for test cricket unless he became an option in the Top 6 as a batsman.... however, when compared to Sodhi, the option doesn't seem so terrible anymore.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Ok, let me make this in a "Captain State the Obvious Way"

Nathan McCullum is a terrible option for test cricket unless he became an option in the Top 6 as a batsman.... however, when compared to Sodhi, the option doesn't seem so terrible anymore.
Ish will average under 100 with the ball, wish i could say the same for Nate