• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Warner needs to start converting these hundreds into big ones though. What separates good batsmen from world class ones.
Somewhat unrelated but he needs to make some first innings runs too. Think he could be seriously good but there's a bit too much downhill skiing and the sense he could throw it away any second early in the innings right now.

Been exactly what was needed today though so can't complain.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack Murray: "With that six from Doolan, Don Bradman slips to second place on the list of test match batting averages for Australia."

benchmark00

Dools really hitting at quite a pace now
He really is quite lovely to watch in full flow. That's why I'm so impressed with his work today. I wrote a blog post last year some time about how Ausalian batsmen have the talent, but need to learn to have more prudent shot selection, putting away the shots they know have high risk, even though they can play it, I.e. Steve Waugh and the hook/pull.

Dools has done exactly that this innings, absolutely pumped for him.

benchmark00

He really is quite lovely to watch in full flow. That's why I'm so impressed with his work today. I wrote a blog post last year some time about how Ausalian batsmen have the talent, but need to learn to have more prudent shot selection, putting away the shots they know have high risk, even though they can play it, I.e. Steve Waugh and the hook/pull.

Dools has done exactly that this innings, absolutely pumped for him.
Ftr:

You don’t need to have all the shots. If you do have all the shots, you shouldn’t play them all. Australia are breeding a culture of entertainment first, results second. It’s all well and good Darren Lehmann coming out and saying he wants his chargers to play their natural game and go out and take the game to the opposition, but he needs to look at what he’s working with. He doesn’t have a team with the ability he had. He doesn’t have a team that have made mountains of runs against all comers. He needs to start installing a culture of playing within yourself, and once you’ve established yourself, don’t let those standards slip.

Steve Waugh had a liking for the pull shot in early days. Played the shot pretty well too. But once he got out to the shot two times, and two times only, he put it in the rack, never to be seen again. That is the kind of mental toughness this line up can only dream of. Can you see Usman Khawaja putting away his full blooded cover drive away from the body until he’s got 30 runs on the board? It’s unlikely. It’s time the coach told Usman that he may have every shot in the book, but you succeed in this game by not now many shots you play, but often how many you don’t play.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Smith another good example of keeping things relatively simple. Has all the shots, but leaves the ball well, plays late etc in test cricket and applies himself and you can see the results. Hussey did that too, and he had every shot in the book as well as you can see in his ODI/T20 record.

Unless you have an absolutely ridiculous amount of natural talent like say Ponting, it's pretty necessary at test level vs good opposition.

benchmark00

Steve Smith another good example of keeping things relatively simple. Has all the shots, but leaves the ball well, plays late etc in test cricket and applies himself and you can see the results.
Yes, hence my constant comparisons between Smith and Steve Waugh. Top temperament, worked hard on his game. Clarke had to do the same.

Spark

Global Moderator
Odd that we might have four Australian hundreds in this match and Clarke has none of them. That can't have happened since... 2009?