• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Ishant bowling beautifully. I always knew he'd do well in NZ. He's a tall bowler who bowls good line and length. This is something that does not work well on Indian pitches but suits green top bowling to a tea.

Blocky

Banned
How many Tests does it take for a wicket-taking Sharma to turn from 'oh sh*t now he's locked in for another *X period of years*' to 'gee, maybe he's alright'? I mean he is nicking guys off, putting it in some fairly decent areas from a height and a reasonable clip, yes?

I'm not usually one for rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic but we need openers with the mindset of Test openers. Ruds' approach outside off stump is clearly not going to work for him at Test level, and Fulton's technique looks shot.
I'd be quite happy with a little crash and bash in the top order, especially on wickets like this. Quite simply, having only 26 on the board after 13 overs just increases the likelihood that we're going to be in a real bad spot if two wickets fall, I'd rather see them attempt to go out and take on the bowling and even if we're 60 for 3 after 15, at least we're not asking for such a rescue from McCullum and Williamson.

I also think a guy like Fulton probably has a better chance at runs if he does that.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'd be quite happy with a little crash and bash in the top order, especially on wickets like this. Quite simply, having only 26 on the board after 13 overs just increases the likelihood that we're going to be in a real bad spot if two wickets fall, I'd rather see them attempt to go out and take on the bowling and even if we're 60 for 3 after 15, at least we're not asking for such a rescue from McCullum and Williamson.

I also think a guy like Fulton probably has a better chance at runs if he does that.
They were playing positive shots until the first wicket fell.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

I'd prefer to see a guy who leaves well. I've never been a subscriber to this theory that any ball on a green top can have your name on it, so you might as well score off the ones in between. The best knocks I've seen on such pitches are when guys leave impeccably outside off stump, even on length (a general rule on green tops might be that a length ball will pass over) and do all their scoring once a side goes searching, given they know they're a failure if they only produce 1-for at lunch. Wearing down a bowling side by leaving well on a green top can be as effective mentally as bludgeoning them on a flat one, if not more so.

I don't think against this Indian side that 50-1 at lunch is unachievable if we give them the first session. Unfortunately with our top 4 in this Test, it is.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
ffs. Had been so good up until then in difficult conditions and that is reaaaaaaaaaaaally not what was needed. Now Anderson exposed in seaming conditions.

Desperately need runs from Watling - didn't look in great form in Auckland though.