• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hope Ambati Rayudu does well because of his kickass name, but the chances of a bloke with only one hundred ever in list A cricket scoring his second in an ODI has to be extremely slim.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Speaking of which, are there any other Indian cricketers with a western first-names aside from Stuart Binny and his father Roger?

_Ed_

9.4 Bennett to Rayudu, no run, 139 kph, terrific! thuds into the pitch and it jags off the seam a log way. Rayudu has to suck in his gut as he trusts the bounce and lets it through
Ooh, sounds good. Nice reply after the four ball just before it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Speaking of which, are there any other Indian cricketers with a western first-names aside from Stuart Binny and his father Roger?
Robin Singh and Noel David the only that come to mind.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Just catching up on the game, had a few too many client meetings.

Initial thoughts - ballsy from India putting Kohli up to open but that has now been wasted due to Sharma doing a Guptill - either going for the boundary or not being able to rotate strike. Short ball in the opening stages, more than makes sense, batsman aren't really trying to score boundaries on every ball, so far so good.

Taylor however... time to demote him from the cordon? He takes some really really good catches at times, but in the last few seasons there have been so many of these types of drops that he should really swallow.

_Ed_

"he has slammed that!" Cricinfo commentator even going for italics there for added emphasis. Sounds like a big hit.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
David Johnson? Fast bowler who got Michael Slater out in 1996 with some wide filth, never did anything else of note.

Daemon

This isn't a dead ****ing rubber. Why the hell is Binny playing? Had a bit of a rant at him before in the thread, cbf now, his performance will be more than enough.

Blocky

Banned
I was interested in your take on Brendon - you're not the hard taskmaster you are with our other friend, are you? I like the 'hasn't been our worst player' in particular.

I don't imagine Brendon's back is at a point where a 3-6 month break will restore it to its former glories. He's 32, a back injury allowing more freedom of movement (without surgery) at that age would be fairly unprecedented. Now's not the time to do that pre World Cup anyway, I shouldn't imagine.

I'm interested as to why you think there's more chance of him being dropped from ODIs, not Tests.
Guptill has major major flaws in his technique and ability to build an innings - McCullum has major flaws in giving away starts, but has shown his ability to rotate strike or hit boundaries. For a lot of the time in question he was also working on a "test" gameplan where he wasn't taking on the bowlers as much as he used to and I think that caused a mess. Hard to be hard on McCullum when he's not been our worst player in that time period and has captained the side pretty damn well in my view for the last year or so.

As for more chance of him being dropped from ODIs - we have more potential talent in the ODI format who can perform his job with the bat and offer something with the ball. We don't have as many players who can average a near on consistent 35-40 series through series as McCullum has for most of his career in the test format.

Blocky

Banned
Sharma definitely doing a Guptill here, no idea how to exploit gaps or find easy singles - just slams every fifth or tenth ball for a boundary and hopes that he'll stop having to wait so long in between runs as he moves on.

Blocky

Banned
Sharma isn't the worst player to drop to be honest... as long as McCullum remembers what sort of player he is, keeps the field up to ensure he doesn't squirt the ball into holes for singles, he can pretty reliably bowl to him knowing he won't find gaps and will hit the occasional boundary while gifting chances through and through.

The mistake captains make with block or bash players is that they start protecting the boundary too early and giving easy singles. Guys like Sharma live for that, because suddenly they have other scoring options outside of smashing a boundary off loose deliveries.