• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

jcas0167

International Debutant
I still think the answer is obvious, Ryder should open our batting across all formats and seek to play a Matty Hayden role for the side. He has a solid technique when he's not opening his hip and looking to slap everything either over mid wicket or over point. He is possibly the best of our batsman at playing late which sets him up well against fast bowlers and the moving ball, he has shown he can bat time at test level and he'll smash the **** bowling when he sees it. It solves our issue on where to place him and gives us a chance at establishing a dominant opening partnership with either Rutherford or Latham.
I quite like this, although am mindful Ryder didn't exactly flourish when batting 3 in tests. Admittedly, that was when he was returning to the side after the hand injury and the sample size is pretty small.

btw. Pretty big call leaving out/resting Anderson and McCleneghan. It was suggested before the series Anderson may get a rest at some stage, but thought they might want him to get back on the horse after the disapointment of Eden Park.

I was also hoping Dhoni would put us into bat again.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't mind giving Anderson a rest. We need to see more of Neesham going into the world cup. We've seen plenty of McCleneghan and Anderson to know where they stand and what their roles will be.
Would be much more comfortable with it if we were 3-0 up though :ph34r:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would be much more comfortable with it if we were 3-0 up though :ph34r:
yeah that would be nice. At some point you have to play these guys in pressure situations to know how they'll stand up though.

I still think there's plenty of firepower in the batting. Especially if Ryder and Baz get going this time around.

Zinzan

Genuine chance of getting Kohli early with the new ball. I don't mind that decision at all.

Incidentally - McCullum better deliver with the bat today.

_Ed_

Oh, Kohli has opened before - six games, 159 runs @ 31.80. All against Sri Lanka.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind giving Anderson a rest. We need to see more of Neesham going into the world cup. We've seen plenty of McCleneghan and Anderson to know where they stand and what their roles will be.
Neesham probably needs to prove to himself more than anything that he can play at this level. Really hasn't done well with the bat for NZ to date (ave 13 after 9 matches).

Athlai

Not Terrible
After Guptills 100 he is now in the top 20 ODI batsman in the world according to the ICC rankings, behind Ross and Williamson for NZ. Williamsons form in this series has got him to his highest rating ever and only just a smidgen ahead of Guptill.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Neesham probably needs to prove to himself more than anything that he can play at this level. Really hasn't done well with the bat for NZ to date (ave 13 after 9 matches).
yeah. I rate his batting quite highly but he's not as good as Anderson. Probably a 7, pushed up to 6 when we're pressing an advantage, whereas Anderson is a 6 moving up to 5 in dominant positions.

Zinzan

yeah. I rate his batting quite highly but he's not as good as Anderson. Probably a 7, pushed up to 6 when we're pressing an advantage, whereas Anderson is a 6 moving up to 5 in dominant positions.
Agree, in spite of his natural talent with the bat, I wouldn't want to see Neesham batting any higher than 7 at this level. In a perfect world 8 or 9.