• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but the concentration of the English batsmen would have been really tested at the end there, and the bowlers could run in hard and let rip knowing they could put their feet up in under an hour. There is no way England will make 550 runs, no way, no risk involved even if England batted well at the end there

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was no point batting for 20-30 more overs. It would not increase the chance of winning.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Annoys me in these circumstances when the TV people start discussing whether England have a chance of a draw

Save weather, there is no chance of a draw, surely. If we batted those overs out we'd win.
SA failed to chase down 430 in 158* overs just last year (148 used, draw accepted).

Hardly out of the question.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean there are 2 days left. Why give the opposition even a whiff of victory? Obviously, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the Aussies winning, but say 2 wickets hadn't fallen, and Carberry was on song. That could have happened.

Johnson scored 64 and took 4 wickets in first innings, then scored 39 and has already taken a wicket. So pretty much a lock for the MoM. I am not saying England can win now. I am saying they could have had those 2 wickets not fallen. It was a risk. And Harris is not taking a 7-fer. Lyon taking at least 2 wickets now with the wicket keeping slightly low.
Even then, 560 in 190 overs is pretty impossible to chase down with guys like Cook batting ever so slowly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
KP seems to enjoy playing in Oz and definitely interacts more with the crowd and media here than in England

Makes you wonder why he didn't settle in Perth as it is infinitely better than the Midlands
With all due respect, that is the very definition of damning a place with faint praise

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I mean there are 2 days left. Why give the opposition even a whiff of victory? Obviously, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the Aussies winning, but say 2 wickets hadn't fallen, and Carberry was on song. That could have happened.

Johnson scored 64 and took 4 wickets in first innings, then scored 39 and has already taken a wicket. So pretty much a lock for the MoM. I am not saying England can win now. I am saying they could have had those 2 wickets not fallen. It was a risk. And Harris is not taking a 7-fer. Lyon taking at least 2 wickets now with the wicket keeping slightly low.
I'd usually agree 100% but it's gonna rain so it's a bit different.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

The reason why teams give a "whiff of victory" is because batsman play more attacking and get out. Seriously, this was a sensible declaration, never easy for an opening pair to see out 15 overs before stumps.

Also, you do realize that Harris can still end up with 7 if Lyon takes two don't you? I'm not saying he will, just it is a possibility. Yes, Mitch is currently in poll position for MoTM.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why didn't he declare when Haddin went out? Were those 6 extra runs that important?
Probably to give Haddin time to get ready before the 10 min change of innings period. Means he's ready to warm-up as soon as the declaration's called.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Newspaper headlines seem like he crossed the line, but when you read this:

"The way Trott got out today was pretty poor, pretty weak," Warner said in a seemingly pre-meditated attack.
"England's on the back-foot. It looks like they have scared eyes at the moment.
"There is obviously a weakness there (with Trott) at the moment and we are probably on top of it.
"We have seen him work hard in the nets on the short ball.
"Trying to face 150kmph short ball from Mitchell Johnson... the way to go is probably not backing away."
I don't think he has crossed the line at all. The one thing he has done though, is jumped the gun with the series only 3 days old so far.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do you think he's crossed a line, or fair enough to say these things?
Don't think he crossed any line. But its just ****ing dumb. Particularly considering Australia haven't accomplished **** yet.

He still is and forever will be a flog. Can bat every now and then though, that's for sure.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I have to say for a side whose record in the last 9 tests is 0-0-7, the Aussies have certainly have had a lot to say for themselves before and during this match. Given what happened in Auckland earlier this year and Adelaide last year (Faf + de Villiers, was Adelaide yes?) I think perhaps the correct thing to say to reporters is more like "we're in a great position but the match isn't won yet - we'll keep up the intensity and we believe we've got the players to get those last 8 wickets." Typical sportsperson's cliche I know, but better than "they're running scared"...

Wish the reporter had carried on to ask Warner what he thought of Watson's contribution to this match thus far.

91Jmay

International Coach
I think we will be 180 all out sometime after tea. Will be really negative and dour whilst losing wickets. Horror test match, just have to rebound for the 2nd. Tremlett has to go, guy is no threat. Rankin for me.