• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting though that Muralis figures in England are actually better than Warnes.
England have always produced pitches that turned, at least occasionally. I wouldn't say that really proves Murali was better than Warne in conditions that didn't suit (not claiming you argued that FTR) more that England play mystery spin atrociously and their curators don't always help them out (despite what some Queensland curator says) :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but, as usual, he had to plough through a lot of overs for those wickets, though. And, well, when you're the side's only real weapon, you can wheel away all day and you really should at least jag a couple.

The pattern of bowling I saw with him against England was very similar to that against Australia; he'd go hard early but once the batsmen got comfortable, would sit in a groove at 2 rpo for over after over. Not that I'm suggesting it makes him a lesser bowler; considering his support, it would be irresponsible as a team man to go for the knockout ball regularly. I guess my point is that Warne's and Murali's records in England are more a reflection of their style of bowling than ability.

akilana

International 12th Man
England have always produced pitches that turned, at least occasionally. I wouldn't say that really proves Murali was better than Warne in conditions that didn't suit (not claiming you argued that FTR) more that England play mystery spin atrociously and their curators don't always help them out (despite what some Queensland curator says) :p
Their records in WI, SA, NZ, and India are very identical.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
I would any day pick Murali over Warnie.

Warne is more prone to controversies.
He also had disciplinary issues.

Burgey

Quite right. There were never any controversies surrounding Murali's place in the game....

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I would any day pick Murali over Warnie.

Warne is more prone to controversies.
He also had disciplinary issues.
I like it how Warne had a legal action. Makes it easy to decide who's the greatest spinner ever.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given that I have an opinion on this I'm amazed to note that I have never made a post in this thread, so I thought I'd join the rest of the great and the good from CW's history and become the 200th member to post here

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warne anyday of the week as Murali's statistics and his 25 Test matches against Bagladesh and Zimbabwe compared to Warnes 3 is a joke.

Plus the fact he played Zimbabwe more times than Australia as he refused to play us on home soil. Against the best batting side of his Era.

For those in the know go to cricinfo and check it out and then think about how many times Warne bowled on Batting friendly pitches or seaming wickets and its not even close who the better spinner is.

benchmark00

What if I was to tell you that Murali's record is still better than Warne's if you exclude the matches against Zimbabwe & Bangladesh? :-O

Riggins

International Captain
You must have forgotten to exclude the matches where murali was dominant or when warne was injured or tired or bored.