• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brian Lara, a better player of spin than Dravid, said Murali would be all over you initially but then lose confidence and be far less dangerous after the first 20 minutes whereas Warne, no matter the conditions or who you were, would not back off even slightly. Needless to say, this one anecdote is conclusive proof that Warne > Murali.
That's another example of the mental side of things. Warne was unparalleled as a sportsman in this regard. It wasn't just the way he spun and drifted the ball, it was the way he would walk all over batsmen mentally and they would be left quivering lumps of meat, pads and a piece of willow just waiting for the end which was always soon to come.

smash84

The Tiger King
Warne was psychologically scarred by the best players of spin of that era himself so he doesn't get too many marks for that :p

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brian Lara, a better player of spin than Dravid, said Murali would be all over you initially but then lose confidence and be far less dangerous after the first 20 minutes whereas Warne, no matter the conditions or who you were, would not back off even slightly, always believing he was one ball away from nabbing you. Needless to say, this one anecdote is conclusive proof that Warne > Murali.
Why can't we all leave this at Murali was better against Tendulkar, and Warne was better against Lara? It's an infinite loop otherwise "Lara was a great player of spin and said Warne was better, but Warne said Tendulkar was better, so technically Tendulkar is a better player of spin, who said Murali was better, who said Lara was better and so on...."

harsh.ag

I would like to say something to the "elders" of CW. Granted you have seen it all and done it all here on the forum, but if you could be just a tad bit less condescending to the newer brigade, it would be a big help. Completely mindful of the fact that you helped build this place from the ground up, saying things like, "I should know better by now than to venture into these threads", and not replying when a reasonable comment is made on your most recent misadventure in said thread is, perhaps, not the best way to display your wisdom and pomposity. I am sure you could do better, maybe cultivate a harem, and a cabinet of followers to do your bidding. Sends a much more powerful message. Warm regards.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would like to say something to the "elders" of CW. Granted you have seen it all and done it all here on the forum, but if you could be just a tad bit less condescending to the newer brigade, it would be a big help. Completely mindful of the fact that you helped build this place from the ground up, saying things like, "I should know better by now than to venture into these threads", and not replying when a reasonable comment is made on your most recent misadventure in said thread is, perhaps, not the best way to display your wisdom and pomposity. I am sure you could do better, maybe cultivate a harem, and a cabinet of followers to do your bidding. Sends a much more powerful message. Warm regards.
Nah you completely misinterpreted his original post.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

This is a moot point now anyway. In 10 years these two will be battling for 3rd and 4th best spinner behind Swann and Lyon.

harsh.ag

If he was being sarcastic (which I now think he was). then he did a pretty bang-up job of the same, because a lot of people hold that view non-sarcastically.

harsh.ag

haha the phrasing of the above post just sums up how different the ATG thread brigade are from the rest of CW.

edit: or pews with his grammerz demonstrates how different he is
Again, the condescension. I am not a part of any ATG brigade. I write on all matters I find interesting.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
harsh.skm has a good point IMO, even sarcastically, it still means something when you make a comment about not "venturing into threads" or when Benchy and his brigade come in and say "oh this will be interesting - haven't seen this debate before". The noobs have every right to debate seriously on matters the old ****s have moved on from, and we can do it without them turning their nose up at it and placing themselves above it all.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My post had absolutely nothing to do with whether it's been done to death, debate about whatever the **** you like (I've always been meh about the Player A vs Player B threads anyway). My original post was a joke.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
tbh I was more talking about other people who do it seriously or make rather nasty sarcastic comments that are simply unnecessary, I was aware you were kidding :D