• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the comments about Martin. Bowled well when he wasn't expected to, and now they're looking to him on a 5th day pitch, he's got the jitters.

Uppercut

But there's no reason to remove catchers if the runs needed are pretty much impossible to get. If I was a fast bowler in such situations I certainly wouldn't mind batsman trying to hook bouncers instead of ducking and batsman trying to drive balls they could leave. It's all extra risk taking.
There's a bit of a safety issue with close-in fielders. But yeah, generally I agree. When you play normally and lose the tactics aren't normally mentioned, but when you try to block it out and lose it's always because you tried to block it out.

I think the real reason is that the commentators would get bored if no one played any shots. Same as with the whole "why not one more slip?" obsession.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think McCullum is saving his quicks for the new ball, and I think that is a mistake. England aren't Sri Lanka, and wickets aren't going to start falling like ninepins just because there's a bit of swing. The best bet would've been to look to knock them over with our best bowlers before they became established. Reckon the result is 50:50 now.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
There's a bit of a safety issue with close-in fielders. But yeah, generally I agree. When you play normally and lose the tactics aren't normally mentioned, but when you try to block it out and lose it's always because you tried to block it out.

I think the real reason is that the commentators would get bored if no one played any shots. Same as with the whole "why not one more slip?" obsession.
Yeah, I mean I can sort of see the opposing argument, but I think people are over estimating how much easier it is to just block the ball, especially on flat pitches. At least, I've found it that way. Until last year, the longest I'd ever batted in senior cricket was only about a 7th of my highest ever score.

BeeGee

International Captain
Bruce "the revelation" Martin has been abysmal this morning. Would take him off and give Wagner a chance to pick up another jammy wicket before lunch.
Yeah, Martin has been very disappointing. I thought he would be the key bowler today.

BeeGee

International Captain
I think McCullum is saving his quicks for the new ball, and I think that is a mistake. England aren't Sri Lanka, and wickets aren't going to start falling like ninepins just because there's a bit of swing. The best bet would've been to look to knock them over with our best bowlers before they became established. Reckon the result is 50:50 now.
That's exactly what happened to England in the first innings, the ball swung and the wickets fell like ninepins.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Quiet start but I'm not worried yet. I will be if we don't get a wicket within the first ten overs of the new ball though.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, you're going to struggle to rip through competent players on this pitch with a 60+ over old ball. New nut will be key.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
And here am I again, wasting another precious night of sleeptime to suffer through innocuous bowling by New Zealand in the 4th innings. It wasn't enough that time with Misbah, no, now there's Bell looking good for a 450 balls 30.

**** me dead.

On the other side, no team is quite as good to heroically salvage a draw on the last test of the series when they are already 1-0 down (vs india, sa). Strenghts and weaknesses.

:( :( :(

Neil Pickup

Have the feeling this might be a long night.

If we get to lunch unscathed, through the first few overs of the new ball, I'll dare to believe.

Uppercut

Just read this in the guardian review of yesterday's play. Loved it.

"Once again they were monstered by McCullum, who should become the threat of choice for errant children: "Be quiet or Brendon McCullum will come and belt your attempted yorker into the stands""