• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Right about now wishing for a McClenaghan/Bennett as the third seamer, and Astle as spinner. In this parellel universe where these players are good, fit, in form ....

Of course, may not have got into this situation in first place with different attack make up. Bring 'back' super-subs!

God, I have patience deficiency. Only been half an hour :)

ganeshran

International Debutant
McCullum has the advantage of England trying to save the match rather than win it. So he can afford to keep the close-in fielders

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure I agree with opening with the spinners from McCullum. Would've preferred a burst with Southee and Boult for at least the first half hour.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand why commentators always like the batsman to be aggressive in these situations. Runs are no longer part of the equation FFS. You can't reap the benefits of playing aggressively if the runs don't mean anything.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I don't understand why commentators always like the batsman to be aggressive in these situations. Runs are no longer part of the equation FFS. You can't reap the benefits of playing aggressively if the runs don't mean anything.
You can force the bowlers to try something different and not to settle down. If you keep defending against spinners with close-in catchers, sooner or later one good delivery will lead to the dismissal

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Because there's nothing better for a bowler and captain than bowling ball after ball at the same guy with absurdly attacking fields. Bowlers don't like being scored off so you can't go completely deadbeat.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
But there's no reason to remove catchers if the runs needed are pretty much impossible to get. If I was a fast bowler in such situations I certainly wouldn't mind batsman trying to hook bouncers instead of ducking and batsman trying to drive balls they could leave. It's all extra risk taking.

Flem274*

123/5
Depends how they're scoring. If they're trying to blast you then that's risky stroke play and you're in the game. Ones and twos punctuated by the odd boundary is depressing.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Depends how they're scoring. If they're trying to blast you then that's risky stroke play and you're in the game. Ones and twos punctuated by the odd boundary is depressing.
It shouldn't be though should it. England have to go at nearly five an over for 2 and a half sessions to win here, so if they simply meander along at 2 and a half an over, putting away the odd bad ball, it doesn't really get them anywhere and doesn't force a captain to remove attacking fielders.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thankfully for NZ Boult looks in good rhythm. Stating the obvious here, but crucial the second new-ball swings for NZ. It's only 25 overs away so should be available shortly after lunch.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Thankfully for NZ Boult looks in good rhythm. Stating the obvious here, but crucial the second new-ball swings for NZ. It's only 25 overs away so should be available shortly after lunch.
It is 13 overs away so should be available before lunch

Flem274*

123/5
It shouldn't be though should it. England have to go at nearly five an over for 2 and a half sessions to win here, so if they simply meander along at 2 and a half an over, putting away the odd bad ball, it doesn't really get them anywhere and doesn't force a captain to remove attacking fielders.
I was reffering to a run rate of about 3 with plenty of singles. It looks much more comfortable than blocking to the opposition and if a batsman makes conditions look easy the captain needs to have a long hard think about the field, whereas just blocking means the captain can pitch a tent on all out attack because he's being given nothing to think about.

A batsman having a real go is in some ways more prefferable because you can keep the field up and force him to go over the top continuously.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bruce "the revelation" Martin has been abysmal this morning. Would take him off and give Wagner a chance to pick up another jammy wicket before lunch.

Meridio

International Regular
Looking pretty flat out there. Going to be hard work. Martin just not quite accurate enough atm, hardly landing anything on a good length - either too short or too full.