• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Flem274*

123/5
Nice article from Richardson on Fulton.

Something dawned on me when I was busy picking apart Peter Fulton's technique midway through Friday's play. All of sudden I thought, "hang on, he's on 85."

It really is a case of how many, not how. That is a statement that runs true in so many sports.

For a golfer, it's about the score when the ball drops into the cup on hole 18. For a tennis player, it's about who wins set, and ultimately match, point. For a rugby team, it's about who has the most points at the end of 80 minutes.

For Peter Fulton, it has been all about the score to his name when he, under the rules of the game, must leave the playing field. Those numbers have been excellent.

There's no doubt Fulton looks a bit ungainly at test level. He is very much a grafter who grinds out his runs - but what's wrong with that? First of all, he's getting those runs and there are enough stroke players further down the order to accelerate the scoring.

Fulton gets his feet crossed up, plays around his front pad and defends a little wide for me to feel comfortable as I watch him play but I feel chuffed he's taken this final opportunity.

He's taken it because age and experience have surely given him mental strength.

Few players in any sport are technically perfect and many who are fail to make any real impact at the top level - because pressure not only erodes technique but great technique can be undone by poor decision-making under duress.

Cricket is not a style contest. There are no extra runs for the degree of difficulty of a shot or for artistic merit. It is a contest between bat and ball; the bowler is trying to get you out and you have to resist, stay in and score runs.

Steve Waugh understood that, so did Andrew Jones and, finally, after 10 years of under-performance at provincial level, it dawned on me too.

Sheer bloody determination is possibly the most underrated asset in sport. It is the skill that makes the gifted great and the less than gifted successful. I saw a ton of that determination in Fulton's 136 and if there is anything that is going to continue the improvement of this New Zealand cricket team, it will surely be more determination than they had shown at the national level before this summer.

No doubt Fulton has booked his seat on the plane to England and, accepting the fact he is no youngster, if he grinds out more runs with the consistency he's shown in this series for just a couple more seasons, he will have done a fine job for his country.

What would Billy Beane of the Oakland As in the movie Moneyball say of Peter Fulton? He'd say: "He gets on base."

Mike5181

International Captain
Anyone else impressed by Trent Boult's pace? He's consistently been in the 138-142 range in this test match.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyone else impressed by Trent Boult's pace? He's consistently been in the 138-142 range in this test match.
Was expected tbh. He was that pace in Sri Lanka and looking at Steyn and Morkel's top speeds in South Africa (especially in the Steyn Fast Second Spell) I think those radars were down 5kph so he may have been in that range there as well.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No complaints, been thoroughly outplayed in this match and if by some miracle we escape with a draw (only the weather can save us now) then it will be undeserved. Good to see NZ looking a team again, always worried their attack could do damage, wasn't expecting Fulton to become a good player at the age he is but boy did he play well in this match. Need to regroup quickly for the summer ahead but I think we can.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ooooh, four down. I might swap shift tomorrow so that I can watch the game tonight, even if the last time I did something on that line it wasn't a really nice night. (I remember looking at Vettori's average in the 4th innings before and thinking about it, but still went. He then duly proceeded to send down darts to Misbah and co. for the whole day. It was a nightmare)

You know what is really annnoying? That even if NZ wins, in a month time the trophy will be again up for grabs in England; and I don't need to remember all you of what happened to the Windies in 2009. Why the hell do they have to play home and away series to the same team on the trot? Most of kiwis won't have the time to brag about it with the poms (well, there's still rugby, but...) that most probably the trophy will be back in their hands for the next 4-5 years. What the????

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Well played NZ deserve to take the series they've bowled so much better than us.

Wonder if any England player/commentator will employ the N. Srivisnan defence.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
england are truly stuffed, outplayed in this test, some of fulton's and mccullum's batting was brutal, england had no answer, they look very mediocre, whereas new zealand look a strong team with depth backbone and fight, something sadly lacking from england. whats caused this change brendan mcCullum as captain he's a winner you can tell.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Imo without Swann the England attack has been left wanting here, time after time when the goings got tough he's been the one who has pulled them out of the mire, but he's not there and Cooke has had no answers,

Can they hang on? well of course it's very doubtful, but if Bell and Root make it to lunch then i think the Kiwis will get a tad nervous, it should be interesting but if/when NZ get the job done then you have to give them credit, amoungst the defeats against us, India and Sa they've stood up and shocked a few people, drawing in SL and Aus, and now on the verge of beating England is something i'd love my team to be able to do, so well done to them.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Гурин;3042210 said:
You know what is really annnoying? That even if NZ wins, in a month time the trophy will be again up for grabs in England; and I don't need to remember all you of what happened to the Windies in 2009. Why the hell do they have to play home and away series to the same team on the trot? Most of kiwis won't have the time to brag about it with the poms (well, there's still rugby, but...) that most probably the trophy will be back in their hands for the next 4-5 years. What the????
Yep, and we won 1-0 just like the Kiwis are set to do, it was a lovely moment and we all thought we'd turned the corner but boy was we brought back down to earth quickly!! :laugh: .

Tbh you never know with NZ, they won a test in Aus who says they can't nick one in England?