• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top Cat's life is in transition from **** to decent bloke. Taking a long time but we are getting there.
No transition taking place

It's just that he is surrounded by absolute ****s so looks like a decent bloke in comparison

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
OK, so assuming that there are no tour matches between now and the 3rd test, no injuries, Watto stays, and no replacements, my Oz team is;

1. Warner

2. Watson - love to drop him as his $1.5 mill CA contract is the equivalent of taking money under false pretenses but I would have to listen to his fanboys talk about his average as opener so here you go

3. Khawaja - if they are going to pick him at least do it in a position in which he is suited

4. Clarke

5. Hughes (wk) - sorely tempted to pick Smith but it's time to flog the Hughes horse till he drops or succeeds. Given his history, he'll ton up

6. Henriques - best technique in the team and breaks up the left handers

7. Maxwell - I've got nuthin'

8. Johnson - arguably our best bowler last summer and will run in all day. Only risk is that he will succeed and be picked for the Ashes

9. Starc - hugely talented and wont learn warming the bench

10. Pattinson

11. Lyon - best we've got and at least he will have the benefit of bowling into rough created by the left armers

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
3. Khawaja - if they are going to pick him at least do it in a position in which he is suited
The position Khawaja was selected for in the first two Tests is the position he's most ideally suited to filling at the moment, unfortunately.

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
OK, so assuming that there are no tour matches between now and the 3rd test, no injuries, Watto stays, and no replacements, my Oz team is;

1. Warner

2. Watson - love to drop him as his $1.5 mill CA contract is the equivalent of taking money under false pretenses but I would have to listen to his fanboys talk about his average as opener so here you go

4. Clarke

5. Hughes (wk) - sorely tempted to pick Smith but it's time to flog the Hughes horse till he drops or succeeds. Given his history, he'll ton up

6. Henriques - best technique in the team and breaks up the left handers

7. Maxwell - I've got nuthin'

8. Johnson - arguably our best bowler last summer and will run in all day. Only risk is that he will succeed and be picked for the Ashes

9. Starc - hugely talented and wont learn warming the bench

10. Pattinson

11. Lyon - best we've got and at least he will have the benefit of bowling into rough created by the left armers
I love the look of your top 5 although I"m not an advocate for Watson in the opening spot and I just wonder how Hughes will go at 5.But again that top 5 does comprise of the best 5 batsmen available for selection imo.I expect selectors to come to their senses and realise that soon enough.Obviously I believe Wade should keep and bat 7, the number 6 spot should be something Australian selectors should give a hard thought.In India might be worth picking Maxwell or Smith to provide the spin option but after that series it really should be between Bailey and Henriques.Your bowling attack looks good, so in all and all good team convering most bases.

the big bambino

International Captain
Hughes' Aust summer form was solid in the terms of runs scored but contained 2 cameo moments that had me concerned about his suitability for both India and England series. The 1st occasion was the last SL test when we were chasing a small total for victory. From memory he looked ok on a dusting pitch and seemed a good indicator for India. Then he got into awful trouble in the over Herath eventually dismissed him. You'd reason he'd get over after over of that in India and he couldn't even stick out one over when it really mattered against SL.

Something equally worrying was his dismissal against Kula when that man hooped them in the odi in Brisbane.Yes the rest of the side folded and it was white ball. But the rest of team doesn't have as much to prove against the new ball as Hughes and you know that Anderson will swing em hard at him in England. So despite his goodish comeback those were the 2 moments that were most important imo and he failed them both.

Even so I'd hate to drop him as he does look a little better in technique and as social said keep him going until he sinks or swims. However Henriques' form gives us a rare option and maybe he should go to 6. So my team is

Warner
Cowan
Watson
Usman
Clarke
Henriques
Wade
Starc
Johnson
Pattinson
Siddle

I'm so p'd off with the form of our batsmen that they've forced Clarke to consider 4 when he's so suited to 5. Screw em. Screw em hard. However I will beligerently retain him at 5 as that is a spot that is currently working for us.

Johnson comes in. Yes he's a pie thrower and a sook. But his form has been good as has his attitude. He does ok in India.

And yep, no spinner. Look if you're not going to pick Lyon then why bother? My word India must have chuckled so hard into the palms of their hands when we picked Doherty. And did you note how they conveniently threw their wickets away after they scored a mountain of runs? Almost like they were trying to play Maxwell and Doherty into the next test too. Funny that. Stuff the conditions. Our spinners can't exploit them anyway. Our best bowlers are pace. There's enough of them to spread the workload for their dainty bodies and Clarke and Warner can play comedy relief with their spinners.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think people might be slightly overreacting a bit. These are very Indian pitches and these are players who have experienced nothing like it before. It's not a bunch of experienced guys playing stupid shots. This Indian side is hardly a great side, but Australia has always had trouble winning in India (though not nearly as bad as the other way around). I mean, much better Australian sides have lost much worse than this. I remember in 1998 a side consisting of Waugh, Warne, Ponting, Taylor and Slater lost by an innings and 200+ (if I remember correctly) runs. I am not saying it's acceptable, and the Indian side back then was better too, but I think considering the fact that I bet these guys probably never faced conditions where spinners can regularly open and bowl 90%+ of overs, I don't think it's completely unreasonable for them to fail.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You know damn well you wouldn't be saying the same this if the situation was reversed, and a n00b Indian team was failing in Australia and England 4-0 (as opposed to the experienced teams that lost there in 2011/12).

I am not saying you are wrong. You are actually correct. But my point is you are able to be rational because you do not support Australia, so you have no emotional investment.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He said that after the England series.

He's wrong about it by the way. A pointless move. Just delaying the inevitable.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be fair, he is saying "its middle order or nothing". He is not saying he must move to the middle order and must stay in the team.

Anyway, he hinted at Viru moving to the middle order after the England series:

I think there's going to be a bit of pressure on both of them (Gambhir and Sehwag). They've been a fantastic pair for India and have done a really good job for India. They can still play, we saw glimpses of that in the series, a couple of forties, a hundred from Sehwag in the first game, some partnerships. But it's becoming more and more clear, obviously, like I said, with a slightly more long-term view in mind - I'm not worried about Australia, but more in terms of looking at South Africa, New Zealand and England to follow - that maybe there could be a case at some stage of looking to split the two and maybe moving one of them down to the middle order, keeping this long-term view in mind. So that could be a possibility.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/597550.html

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You know damn well you wouldn't be saying the same this if the situation was reversed, and a n00b Indian team was failing in Australia and England 4-0 (as opposed to the experienced teams that lost there in 2011/12).

I am not saying you are wrong. You are actually correct. But my point is you are able to be rational because you do not support Australia, so you have no emotional investment.
Maybe. But the only time I truly remember being mad about Indian overseas performance in the 90s was when they lost the Test match in Zimbabwe. The rest of the time, it was more a sad acceptance and hoping to see moments of brilliance (mainly from Sachin) rather than any hope of a win or calling for massive changes to the side.

I accept that expectations have changed, and I may be angrier now. And obviously given the history of Australia, their expectations would be much higher. It's understandable why people are reacting the way they are, but I think it's still an overreaction.