• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Honestly have no idea where this idea came from that Ponting is an 'eye' player. His technique has always been fairly water-tight.

Not to mention, being a batting coach would be about more than just technique. In terms of tactics and mental approach, Ponting's as good as it gets.
Not really the thread for it, but he obviously had the problem with his head falling away to off early doors in his innings. Obviously once he was in and any bowler was daft enough to bowl at the stumps they were just feeding a strength, but his wasn't a textbook technique.

No Graeme Smith but no Michael Clark either.

Rather watch Punter than either tho, ftr.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really feel that Punter's career was a career of two halves.

There was superhuman:
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

And then there was very good but not great:

And I think the difference was partly mental and partly his footwork. To me it just seemed that he was a fraction slower to be in position for his pull shot and that fraction ended up effecting his whole game. The pull shot was his signature shot and post '07 I never really remember seeing him execute it effectively.

Still one of the best batsmen we're likely to see for the next few decades. I only wish he could have gone out on a high reminiscent of his superhuman days.

WC final innings will always be a favourite memory.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really the thread for it, but he obviously had the problem with his head falling away to off early doors in his innings. Obviously once he was in and any bowler was daft enough to bowl at the stumps they were just feeding a strength, but his wasn't a textbook technique.

No Graeme Smith but no Michael Clark either.

Rather watch Punter than either tho, ftr.
Gideon Haigh summed him up in the 06-07 Ashes when he said once he got to 20 he set like a giant, immovable chunk of concrete. I think once he started to get out in the 30s and 40s a few years ago it was the first sign he was on the wane.

I'm really glad now I took Burgeinho to that Sydney test last summer when he made that ton. I think the young bloke learned more watching Ponting practice in the lead up to that game than any other single thing he's watched. The focus and the way the worked on his foot movement in the lead up to that game was incredible to watch. Just relentless focus.

And God-given gifts too.

We owe him more than many appreciate in this country, I think. When the great side he led became no more, still he soldiered on manfully. Setting high standards that some of his recent team mates simply couldn't emulate. I suspect that contributed to much of his sometimes all-too demonstrative frustration as captain in later years.

For mine, his match saving 150 in the third test of the 05 Ashes was his greatest innings. Here was a bloke, the most fluent if stroke players, grinding out a day five hundred against a rampant attack with his team on the ropes. To my mind he went from a very, very good player to a great in one day.

And that's without his fielding, of course. So many blinders, so many run outs. I recall his catch at silly point on the last day of the final test in India in 04. I think it's maybe the best close in catch I've seen. Anticipation, reflexes, technique all in one. And as he rose to celebrate, he did the Cantona-like pose: arms out stretched in a moment of the greatest understatement; as though a more demonstrative celebration would have detracted from the feat which proceeded it.

He could bludgeon, he could beguile, and he could just make your jaw drop with those crazy highs he had as a batsman; perhaps second only to Lara in terms of scaling batting heights on his day. The bowling just seemed all the same to him.

What a cricketer he has been.

Last edited:

unam

U19 12th Man

There was superhuman:

And I think the difference was partly mental and partly his footwork. To me it just seemed that he was a fraction slower to be in position for his pull shot and that fraction ended up effecting his whole game. The pull shot was his signature shot and post '07 I never really remember seeing him execute it effectively.

Still one of the best batsmen we're likely to see for the next few decades. I only wish he could have gone out on a high reminiscent of his superhuman days.

even during his poor form, he managed to have a better record then most of the other batsmen.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A truly phenomenal player when he was at his peak - he could utterly demoralise an attack and take charge of a match like few players in history. As Burgey said, he's the best Aussie bat since Greg Chappell, maybe the second greatest batsman ever to come from Australia.

Indeed, for those four or five years in the early-mid 2000s, he was maybe the second greatest batsman ever to come from anywhere.

Thanks for everything Punter. Ton the **** up in Perth.

benchmark00

Gideon Haigh summed him up in the 06-07 Ashes when he said once he got to 20 he set like a giant, immovable chunk of concrete. I think once he started to get out in the 30s and 40s a few years ago it was the first sign he was on the wane.

I'm really glad now I took Burgeinho to that Sydney test last summer when he made that ton. I think the young bloke learned more watching Pomting practice in the lead up to that game than any other single thing he's watched. The focus and the way the worked on his foot movement I the lead up to that game was incredible to watch. Just relentless focus.

And God-given gifts too.

We owe him more than many appreciate in this country, I think. When the great side he led became no more, still he soldiered on manfully. Setting high standards that some of his recent tema mates
Simply couldn't emulate.

For mine, his match saving 150 in the third test of the 05 Ashes was his greatest innings. Here was a bloke, the most fluent if stroke players, grinding out a day five hundred against a rampant attack with his team on the ropes. To my mind he went from a very, very good player to a great in one day.

And that's without his fielding, of course. So many blinders, so many run outs. I recall his catch at silly point on the last day of the final test in India in 04. I think it's maybe the best close in catch I've seen. Anticipation, reflexes, technique all in one. And as he rose to celebrate, he did the Cantona-like pose: arms out stretched in a moment of the greatest understatement; as though a more demonstrative celebration would have detracted from the feat which proceeded it.

He could bludgeon, he could beguile, and he could just make your jaw drop with those crazy highs he had as a batsman; perhaps second only to Lara in terms of scaling batting heights on his day. The bowling just seemed all the same to him.

No one is going to bother to read that. Pipe down melon head.

Spikey

I think I said it somewhere, but I really had more faith in Ponting hitting back from this current forum slump than the form slump last year. I feel ripped off.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

I'm really glad now I took Burgeinho to that Sydney test last summer when he made that ton. I think the young bloke learned more watching Ponting practice in the lead up to that game than any other single thing he's watched. The focus and the way the worked on his foot movement in the lead up to that game was incredible to watch. Just relentless focus.

And God-given gifts too.

We owe him more than many appreciate in this country, I think. When the great side he led became no more, still he soldiered on manfully. Setting high standards that some of his recent team mates simply couldn't emulate. I suspect that contributed to much of his sometimes all-too demonstrative frustration as captain in later years.

Can pretty much close the thread here I reckon - there won't be a finer tribute to Punter than this.

All that's left to do now is read the virtual word-for-word copy that will appear on Cricinfo in about an hour and a half.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

And God-given gifts too.

What a post. Fantastic.

Stapel

International Regular
All good things .......

There was superhuman:

I'm a bit shocked to see these facts. From start to 2001 he averages 60. From 2007 till now he averages 40. Any idiot could see he was not the batsman he was before, over the last two years, but this is a bigger difference than I would have guessed.

Anyway, 40 justifies a place in Aus top six these days.

Flem274*

123/5

And God-given gifts too.

best post

uvelocity

International Coach
melon head :laugh:

I don't think you can overestimate the character of the bloke. From pulling his head in early after some knocks and scrapes he's become the model of hard work and dedication. Loves to talk about cricket, speak to fans and help his club out in his own time. Recognised his captaincy had staled but selflessly batted on, mentored the younger guys and set a great example on and off the field.

And now one test away from a farewell in his home ground of Hobart, against a weaker bowling attack the following test (something others have whinged at being denied,) he again puts the team first, deciding not to take it.

Really hope he has a couple of years playing some silly t20 cricket around the place and earns some easy cash. Nobody deserves it more.