• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Sydney City Council have just announced they will erect a statue of a fallen Ponting outside the Bourbon & Beefsteak bar in Kings Cross.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly have no idea where this idea came from that Ponting is an 'eye' player. His technique has always been fairly water-tight.

Not to mention, being a batting coach would be about more than just technique. In terms of tactics and mental approach, Ponting's as good as it gets.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly have no idea where this idea came from that Ponting is an 'eye' player. His technique has always been fairly water-tight.

Not to mention, being a batting coach would be about more than just technique. In terms of tactics and mental approach, Ponting's as good as it gets.
Pretty damn good on the technical stuff too if anecdotes are to be believed.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, just an overall age thing that caught up with him not his mince pies going. If it was his eyes he'd have become a noticeably worse fielder which didn't happen, just wasn't gun like he was in his youth.

say2chintu

Cricket Spectator
Punter the legend. Congratulations on a glorious career. Won more trophies than anybody else in history. That's just 1 stat. No need to bring other numbers.

What a champion. I hope while paying tribute people don't start abusing/comparing his peers. Leave this for another day. Today just stand up and clap !!

benchmark00

The thing about p00ntang which set him apart from his peers was his ability to rise to an occasion. He's the best big game player I've ever seen. He used to just enter god mode the higher the stakes.

He also had the ability to lead by example and set the tone for a series. I don't know his stats, but I reckon his first innings of a series record is one of the best around. Used to make big scores first up and put the opposition on the back foot.

Xuhaib

International Coach
The thing about p00ntang which set him apart from his peers was his ability to rise to an occasion. He's the best big game player I've ever seen. He used to just enter god mode the higher the stakes.

He also had the ability to lead by example and set the tone for a series. I don't know his stats, but I reckon his first innings of a series record is one of the best around. Used to make big scores first up and put the opposition on the back foot.
He did choke on last couple of Ashes maybe it was just bad form and but yeah generally he did rise to the occasion.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Have to agree on the first innings thing. Almost felt like you were punished for taking that first wicket of a series against Australia. Clapo used to have a quote from pasag in his signature about it, just pure mental strength to lead from the front like that at the beginning of a series.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Good news imo. I only regret I got to watch him by the end of his career.
Its going to be punterless Ashes :(

burr

State Vice-Captain
How sad. That is the last from my cricketing childhood gone. I believe with Ponting that, unlike many others, he wasn't so interested in his own personal records. For him it really was all about the team and the wins. My favourite Ponting memories were the runouts and the pull shots. I will sorely miss both.

Sad but sweet that Clarke broke down. Shows how much respect the man had amongst his own team.

kingkallis

International Coach
I just cant believe I'd ever get this emotional over the retirement of Punter. Jeez, I always hated him when he played his cricket like a champ but now I feel that actually I admired him more than I admired some of other our time legends.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I disliked Ponting but he was a great batsman that stood up when it really counted.

Personally do think that he's probably as big a loss as Mcgrath and Warne.
If you look at Australia's upcoming batsmen, they don't really have anyone truly oustanding coming up.

Australia have great depth of quicks but I reckon their may be somewhat flkay over the next few yaesr especially considering Hussey's reitrement can't be that far either.

On and also Ponting does look like Dubya.