• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Here's an all-time eleven consisting purely of players who played for New South Wales:

1. Bob Simpson
2. Victor Trumper
3. Don Bradman
4. Neil Harvey
5. Allan Border
6. Keith Miller
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Alan Davidson
9. Ray Lindwall
10. Bill O'Reilly
11. Glenn McGrath

Others: Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Arthur Morris, Michael Clarke, Doug Walters, Richie Benaud, Charlie Turner, Monty Noble, Fred Spofforth, Richard Quee Chee etc etc.

A lot of those guys played for other states as well, and some of them weren't even primarily New South Wales players so I'm basically just pulling my dick, but I thought I'd toss it out there so fellow Blues could do the same.
In the same vein...
Eligibility is based upon representing Australia in any form of International, and playing a significant chunk of a career at the state in question.

South Australian All Time XI
1. Greg Blewett
2. Matthew Elliott
3. Clem Hill
4. Greg Chappell
5. Ian Chappell *
6. Darren Lehmann
7. George Giffen
8. Barry Jarman +
9. Jason Gillespie
10. Neil Hawke
11. Clarrie Grimmett
(Shaun Tait)

Western Australian All Time XI
1. Bob Simpson *
2. Justin Langer
3. Simon Katich
4. Michael Hussey
5. Damien Martyn
6. Adam Gilchrist +
7. Tom Moody
8. Bruce Yardley
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Garth McKenzie
11. Bruce Reid
(Kim Hughes)

Victorian All Time XI
1. Bill Woodfull
2. Bill Ponsford
3. Dean Jones
4. Neil Harvey
5. Lindsay Hassett
6. Warwick Armstrong
7. Keith Miller *
8. Darren Berry +
9. Shane Warne
10. Merv Hughes
11. Bill Johnston
(Bill Lawry)

Tasmanian All Time XI
1. Michael di Venuto
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting *
4. David Boon
5. Jack Badcock
6. George Bailey
7. Tim Paine +
8. Jason Krejza
9. Colin Miller
10. Ben Hilfenhaus
11. Ted McDonald
(Luke Butterworth)

Queensland All Time XI
1. Bill Brown
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Martin Love
4. Peter Burge
5. Allan Border *
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Mitchell Johnson
8. Don Tallon +
9. Craig McDermott
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Bert Ironmonger
(Andy Bichel)

New South Wales All Time XI
1. Archie Jackson
2. Victor Trumper
3. Charlie Macartney
4. Stan McCabe
5. Steve Waugh
6. Monty Noble
7. Richie Benaud *
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Alan Davidson
10. Bert Oldfield +
11. Glenn McGrath
(Bill O'Reilly)

Overseas Players in Australia
1. Barry Richards
2. Murray Goodwin
3. Rohan Kanhai
4. Alvin Kallicharan
5. Garfield Sobers
6. Andy Flower +
7. Ian Botham
8. Imran Khan *
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Joel Garner
11. Michael Holding
(Shaun Ervine)

Best of the Rest
1. Arthur Morris
2. Richard Chee Quee
3. Brad Hodge
4. Mark Waugh
5. Michael Clarke *
6. Michael Bevan
7. Ian Healy +
8. CTB Turner
9. Fred Spofforth
10. Peter Siddle
11. Stuart MacGill

I'm doubtless missing plenty of players in a lot of the teams. Tasmania in particular is rather difficult.

EDIT:
I intentionally left out Bradman. CBF deciding whether to chuck him in the NSW or SA team, and when it came to decision time I liked their XIs too much to change.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

1. Archie Jackson
2. Victor Trumper
3. Charlie Macartney
4. Stan McCabe
5. Mark Waugh
6. Keith Miller/Monty Noble
7. Richie Benaud *
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Alan Davidson
10. Bert Oldfield +
11. Glenn McGrath
That's an ass kickin', great to watch combo. Replace S.Waugh with M.Waugh, and Noble with Miller (reluctantly) and I'd pay triple to watch these guys play.

Quite probably the strongest first class combo ever. Most of those players named are potential players in Australia's ATG 1st or 2nd XI.

Imagine Trumper and Jackson walking out to open on day 1 a clear Sydney morning, with the thought of Macartney, McCabe, M. Waugh and Miller to come in. Orgasmic for the romantic cricketing appreciator. Viewing could not possibly get better than that.

And the bowling attack has it all. McGrath. Left arm Davo. Right arm hostility from Lindwall, and wily leg spin from Richie. Plus Miller to get his mojo on and his hair flick happening with the ball, if he feels like it.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Did I seriously leave out Bill O'Reilly?

Glaring oversight, but the NSW team is still quality without him. Who could you leave out?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the same vein...
Eligibility is based upon representing Australia in any form of International, and playing a significant chunk of a career at the state in question.

South Australian All Time XI
1. Greg Blewett
2. Matthew Elliott
3. Clem Hill
4. Greg Chappell
5. Ian Chappell *
6. Darren Lehmann
7. George Giffen
8. Barry Jarman +
9. Jason Gillespie
10. Neil Hawke
11. Clarrie Grimmett

Western Australian All Time XI
1. Bob Simpson *
2. Justin Langer
3. Simon Katich
4. Michael Hussey
5. Damien Martyn
6. Adam Gilchrist +
7. Tom Moody
8. Brad Hogg
9. Dennis Lillee
10. Garth McKenzie
11. Bruce Reid

Victorian All Time XI
1. Bill Lawry
2. Bill Ponsford
3. Dean Jones
4. Neil Harvey
5. Lindsay Hassett
6. Warwick Armstrong
7. Keith Miller *
8. Darren Berry +
9. Shane Warne
10. Merv Hughes
11. Bill Johnston

Tasmanian All Time XI
1. Michael di Venuto
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting *
4. David Boon
5. Jack Badcock
6. ???
7. Tim Paine +
8. Jason Krejza
9. Colin Miller
10. Ben Hilfenhaus
11. Ted McDonald

Queensland All Time XI
1. Bill Brown
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Martin Love
4. Peter Burge
5. Allan Border *
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Mitchell Johnson
8. Don Tallon +
9. Craig McDermott
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Bert Ironmonger

1. Archie Jackson
2. Victor Trumper
3. Charlie Macartney
4. Stan McCabe
5. Steve Waugh
6. Monty Noble
7. Richie Benaud *
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Alan Davidson
10. Bert Oldfield +
11. Glenn McGrath

Overseas Players in Australia
1. Barry Richards
2. Murray Goodwin
3. Rohan Kanhai
4. Alvin Kallicharan
5. Garfield Sobers
6. Andy Flower +
7. Ian Botham
8. Imran Khan *
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Joel Garner
11. Michael Holding

Best of the Rest
1. Arthur Morris
2. Richard Chee Quee
3. Kim Hughes
4. Mark Waugh
5. Michael Clarke *
6. Michael Bevan
7. Ian Healy +
8. CTB Turner
9. Fred Spofforth
10. Peter Siddle
11. Stuart MacGill

I'm doubtless missing plenty of players in a lot of the teams. Tasmania in particular is rather difficult.

EDIT:
I intentionally left out Bradman. CBF deciding whether to chuck him in the NSW or SA team, and when it came to decision time I liked their XIs too much to change.
The first player who looks out of place for me is Brad Hogg. Bruce Yardley the better spinner in the longer format.

Michael Bevan, Shaun Young and George Bailey have all played for Australia and could fill that 6 spot for Tassie.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The first player who looks out of place for me is Brad Hogg. Bruce Yardley the better spinner in the longer format.

Michael Bevan, Shaun Young and George Bailey have all played for Australia and could fill that 6 spot for Tassie.
Yeah, originally I didn't have Moody in the XI and had Hogg at 7 for his batting. At 8 it would be nowhere near as important.

Probably Bailey over Bevan, just because most of Bevan's career was at NSW.

Jager

International Debutant
Woodfull over Lawry for me for the mighty Vics. O'Reilly's gotta jump into the NSW squad too!

watson

Banned
I'd hardly call dying of tuberculosis worthy of 'flash in the pan' status.
TB is the unfortunate reason that we will never know how good, or bad, Jackson really was despite the plaudits.

And sad as that is, it is no reason to select Jackson over another batsman who slogged their guts out over 10-20 years for their team, State, and Country, but didn't get TB.

smash84

The Tiger King
TB is the unfortunate reason that we will never know how good, or bad, Jackson really was despite the plaudits.

And sad as that is, it is no reason to select Jackson over another batsman who slogged their guts out over 10-20 years for their team, State, and Country, but didn't get TB.
awta

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Everything I've seen suggests he's right up there with the other dominant batsman of his era, one D.G. Bradman.

Anyway, the alternatives are one of: Arthur Morris, Michael Slater, Mark Taylor or Richard Chee Quee. I would take Jackson over Morris any day (no offense to Arthur). Slats and Taylor never quite hit the same heights as Jackson, IMO.

watson

Banned
Everything I've seen suggests he's right up there with the other dominant batsman of his era, one D.G. Bradman.

Anyway, the alternatives are one of: Arthur Morris, Michael Slater, Mark Taylor or Richard Chee Quee. I would take Jackson over Morris any day (no offense to Arthur). Slats and Taylor never quite hit the same heights as Jackson, IMO.
I don't understand :)

(There is also Warren Bardsley)

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand :)

(There is also Warren Bardsley)
The Archie Jackson story | Cricket Features | Wisden Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

There was just something about Jackson - sure, his death may have resulted in some hyperbole-driven writing, but he could clearly bat. To have done what he did by the age of 22 is incredible, and who knows what he could have achieved in a full career. Sure, it's the kind of 'what if' that seems to now be taboo on here, but in my mind there was no way that he would have failed.

Now I love Michael Slater; he's one of my favourite batsmen of the past 2 decades, but for all his aggression and success, he just doesn't compare with Jackson. Tubby, even with the 334* and as a fantastic captain, was nowhere near as impressive as Jackson was while he was alive.

In my mind, an all-time New South Wales XI would not be complete without Jackson. To me, he was just as good as anyone to have picked up a bat.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would be interested in seeing some state teams composed based on actual performances in state cricket.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If we're talking about all-time domestic sides we've got to have a look at Barbados:

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Conrad Hunte
Frank Worrell*
Everton Weekes
Garfield Sobers
Clyde Walcott
Malcolm Marshall
Wes Hall
Charlie Griffifth
Joel Garner

This coming from an island with roughly the population of Leicester. And I had to leave out Tino Best!