• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2012

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nothing much to read from the match, just that the team which was less abysmal won. Still can't figure out how PAK managed a collapse like that.

salman85

International Debutant
It's only one match.And that too only a T20.But i expected Hafeez to be a much better captain.

I can understand Sami being given one more chance since he's been out of the side for a while and his domestic performances have been good.But Shoaib Malik has been atrocious since his 'comeback' in the international side and he keeps on getting chance after chance.Kick the bastard out permanently.Also,Sohail Tanvir is a joke of the bowler.He shouldn't be anywhere near our international side.I'd rather have someone like Iftikhar Anjum or Rana Naveed instead of him.

Last edited:

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Always rated Rana as a T20 bowler, would be a good inclusion for the T20 world cup but I can't see Pakistan picking him. Tbh I think Sohail Tanvir has been unlucky with injuries he was pretty gun in T20's when he burst on to the scene also can hold a bat.

salman85

International Debutant
Tanvir is rubbish.The only time he looked was during the 2007 T20 WC,and even then his success had more to do with the surprise element in his bowling action more than anything else.He has been fairly average since.He isn't express,doesn't move the ball around much,and has nothing in his armory to suggest that he will ever run circles around a batting line.He has the same problem that Wahab Riaz has - not being threatening enough.But atleast Wahab has managed to pull off the occasional great performance.Tanvir hasn't even managed to do that.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
With Sanga getting on and slightly struggling to force the pace at times you can sort of see the arguments to him missing out in limited overs cricket.

Personally I don't think he should play twenty twenty, simply because I couldnt care less about how SL do there, so I'd rather see him rested for tests and odis.

In terms of odis, he's still a class player, and in 50 overs there is still room for players to build an innings. Also he is the wicketkeeper so he is still a valuable member of the SL team. As long as there are enough power players to complement the guys like Sanga Sri Lanka should be fine. What they don't want to do is make Tharanga open again, because then Sri Lanka is left with Tharanga, Sanga and Mahela (when he bats in the middle order) all unable to force the pace. With Mahela opening he becomes a power player, and then the team has good balance. The power of Dilshan and Mahela, is complemented by the working around of Sangakkara, Chandimal and Thirimanne, and then backed up with more power from Mathews and Perera. I would never have Tharanga at number 6, but he proved me wrong to some extent in the CB series, where he adapted quite well to the position even if he didn't have enough big shots.

smash84

The Tiger King
as somebody mentioned earlier that this sort of display from Pakistan was not really expected after a somewhat consistent display from them in the past year......pathetic

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't have mind this had PEWS not be such a die hard Sami supporter.
I just like Sami, hope he does well and think there's perhaps some vague chance of it happening. I don't actually think selecting him is a particularly good idea though as, although I don't think his stats completely accurately paint the picture of how likely he is to perform now, he's had more than enough chances and been a failure of monumental proportions. If I was the selector of the side I wouldn't pick him, but I'm happy he's been picked because given I haven't been tasked with optimising the performance of the side, seeing random players I like get opportunities means a lot more to me than Pakistan selecting their best side. :p

On a less serious note, SAMI

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
In terms of odis, he's still a class player, and in 50 overs there is still room for players to build an innings. Also he is the wicketkeeper so he is still a valuable member of the SL team. As long as there are enough power players to complement the guys like Sanga Sri Lanka should be fine. What they don't want to do is make Tharanga open again, because then Sri Lanka is left with Tharanga, Sanga and Mahela (when he bats in the middle order) all unable to force the pace. With Mahela opening he becomes a power player, and then the team has good balance. The power of Dilshan and Mahela, is complemented by the working around of Sangakkara, Chandimal and Thirimanne, and then backed up with more power from Mathews and Perera. I would never have Tharanga at number 6, but he proved me wrong to some extent in the CB series, where he adapted quite well to the position even if he didn't have enough big shots.
Sanga is not the sole wicket keeper in ODI line up. Chandimal is a good keeper and Dilshan can keep too. And Kusal Janith Perera who's knocking on the doors is also a full time wicket keeper. Being a WK bat will not serve Sanga to be special. He has to find aout ways of rotating the strike. He does not use the bottom hand much and it has been his down fall in ODIs. Unless SL has a lot of power players around Sanga's style of play doesn't inspire much other than on pacy tracks which he enjoys.

smash84

The Tiger King
I just like Sami, hope he does well and think there's perhaps some vague chance of it happening. I don't actually think selecting him a particularly good idea as, although I don't think his stats completely accurately paint the picture of how likely he is to perform now, he's had more than enough chances and been a failure of monumental proportions. If I was the selector of the side I wouldn't pick him, but I'm happy he's been picked because given I haven't been tasked with optimising the performance of the side, seeing random players I like get opportunities means a lot more to me than Pakistan selecting their best side. :p

:laugh: WAC

Howe_zat

Audio File
I just like Sami, hope he does well and think there's perhaps some vague chance of it happening. I don't actually think selecting him is a particularly good idea though as, although I don't think his stats completely accurately paint the picture of how likely he is to perform now, he's had more than enough chances and been a failure of monumental proportions. If I was the selector of the side I wouldn't pick him, but I'm happy he's been picked because given I haven't been tasked with optimising the performance of the side, seeing random players I like get opportunities means a lot more to me than Pakistan selecting their best side. :p

^PEWS feels has to explain in detail what liking a player is, as he's new to the concept of emotion and isn't sure whether or not this is another of his theories.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
^PEWS feels has to explain in detail what liking a player is, as he's new to the concept of emotion and isn't sure whether or not this is another of his theories.
Nah; liking a player for no real apparent reason isn't new to me at all. Trevor Gripper, Shane Watson and most famously Mathew Sinclair are good examples. Smiley just seemed to be repeatedly having problems with the concept of me being happy that Sami was selected despite not actually thinking it was a great move from Pakistan's perspective, so I felt the need to explain.

Last edited: