• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
North could bowl quite well too. He got merciless stick before he was dropped but had done better than 3 of the guys picked since.

Ruckus

International Captain
North was actually awesome to watch when past 30. used to nail the most ridiculous drives through mid-on.

it was the getting past 30 bit that was a problem
yeah it's quite annoying in a way, because if he could have just ground out a few more runs on his 'bad days' his overall record would have been really excellent. It's pretty frustrating watching someone who has such a bipolar style of play though...it's like the ability is clearly there, it just doesn't show itself often enough.

Ruckus

International Captain
North could bowl quite well too. He got merciless stick before he was dropped but had done better than 3 of the guys picked since.
He was unlucky in a sense, in that the time when he was picked people had extremely high standards for the Australian team, and he was criticised relative to that perspective. I remember thinking back then, along the lines of 'this is ridiculous, this guy has to be averaging high 40's/50's to stay in the team!'...How times have changed. Give me a middle order batsman who can consistently average 40 and I'll take it without hesitation.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The most frustrating part of the Marcus North saga is his returns since being dropped have been mediocre. North gave the impression this season that he has given up on an international career.

Given the likes of Forrest, Cowan and Bailey have found themselves up for selection after one solid season, North could easily have found himself on the plane to West Indies if only he stood up this season.

Spark

Global Moderator
His 90-odd at Edgbaston and his last 100 at Bangalore were treats to watch in particular. The guy could drive when set.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was unlucky in a sense, in that the time when he was picked people had extremely high standards for the Australian team, and he was criticised relative to that perspective. I remember thinking back then, along the lines of 'this is ridiculous, this guy has to be averaging high 40's/50's to stay in the team!'...How times have changed. Give me a middle order batsman who can consistently average 40 and I'll take it without hesitation.
I think he was unlucky but he hasn't done much since to warrant a recall though.

It makes any England fans calling for Pietersen's head look a bit daft too as there is clearly no guarantee the person replacing him is going to do better. Sometimes it is better the devil you know.

The only winner from the Aussie batting frailty has been Ponting. Had players come in and done well he would have been long gone by now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The most frustrating part of the Marcus North saga is his returns since being dropped have been mediocre. North gave the impression this season that he has given up on an international career.

Given the likes of Forrest, Cowan and Bailey have found themselves up for selection after one solid season, North could easily have found himself on the plane to West Indies if only he stood up this season.
His season was disrupted quite a bit through injury.

I guess that it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world being axed from Test matches with so much scrutiny to playing Shield matches in front of 100 people. I really think that it messed up Khawaja this year too. North would have needed a Katichesque season to get back into the Australian team IMO.

uvelocity

International Coach
reckon if hodge wasn't such a **** he wouldn't have quit tests yet :ph34r:

forrest next in for sure. Is Cowan playing county after the tour ends? This will determine his future imo. Does well there, will hold his spot.

Ruckus

International Captain
Goddamn I yearn for the KATMAN. If only he wasn't dropped. Could have allowed some crucial time to pass for another young player to come through.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah or Katich, he wouldn't have quit yet. Nor Jaques. We are just in limbo, but it doesn't take long to turn it around, we have won 8 from 13 or something this season and been robbed by rain once and another good chance last test, though could have gone either way. Different opposition, but it wouldn't be super suprising if say a usman came back and fired, warner hit a few, Clarke. You can't write off either team's chances in a series 18 months away.

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah he'd love them. The Australian Chanderpaul.

As a silly hypothetical, which batting side do people actually think would do better out of the current one vs, a team I will dub, the Decrepits (ignoring recent retirement):

Rogers
Jaques
Katich
Dussey
Hodge
Burgey
Haddin

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
reckon katman would've gunned these decks tbh
Katich was so awesome in the West Indies in 2008. Game in the balance at Kensington Oval, Katich and Jaques proceed to dominate the match and put the game beyond West Indies. Classic Katich that series.

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah with all due respect having clarke/hussey at 5/6 unbalances things a bit if you're comparing batting orders