• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

TNT

Banned
It's not "crying" actually it's called telling the TRUTH, if it was the other way around i'm sure there would have been a fire storm around here!! 8-) .
If Australia had batted first then the game would have been over in 3.5 days, The umpires decision would have made no difference to this match as other players would have stepped up. The dropped catches from both sides had a much bigger impact on the outcome of this match than the umpiring. Along with that if the light didnt cause as much lost time as it did then Australia would have walked home in the last innings also.

Windies had everything going for them being a home match and batting first on a deteriorating pitch but what undone them was the ability to focus for five whole days.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If Australia had batted first then the game would have been over in 3.5 days, The umpires decision would have made no difference to this match as other players would have stepped up. The dropped catches from both sides had a much bigger impact on the outcome of this match than the umpiring. Along with that if the light didnt cause as much lost time as it did then Australia would have walked home in the last innings also.
The decision didn't go against Australia so it's easy to hold that view,

Windies had everything going for them being a home match and batting first on a deteriorating pitch but what undone them was the ability to focus for five whole days.
A 5th day track doesn't mean anything if your best pacer (Rampaul) and best spinner (Narine) aren't around to exploit it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bishoo really was disappointing, WI must bring in someone else. Roach and Sammy were both good, I'm happy for Edwards to be dropped with Rampaul coming in, he's going to be tough to face.

I was surprised to read above that the second test starts this Sunday, pretty awesome hopefully Harris is fit, at least with Watson in our XI its not as big a disaster if we had an injured quick although not ideal.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone else think this Test was a perfect example of why averages can be a load of **** and why a positive mindset is looked upon more favourably when judging players?

How many other countries would have went for the win, not many at all.

I just quoted Burgey as I'm pretty sure he'll agree. Smali, what would Misbah have done? I'm guessing if Hafeez got out for a similar score as Warner, draw would have been the teams goal.
I remember India pulled out of a similar chase last year. They were 7 down needing 4 an over IIRC, think they needed about 120 runs in 30 overs. Sammy was more than happy to except a draw.

Spark

Global Moderator
Harris was as shocked as small pocket of Australian fans in the crowd when he was promoted up to No.8 for the nerve-racking climax of the run chase.

"I was actually in the toilet and they came running into to get me, I had no idea," said Harris, who was named man of the match for his unbeaten 68 in the first innings and five wickets for the match.

Read more: Harris's dunny run caps off remarkable comeback victory
:laugh:

Didn't actually register that Harris/Hilf got promoted. Another Clarke slightly-crazy move to go with his already burgeoning list of surprising captaincy decisions.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Why doesnt Nikita Miller come into consideration for a spinner's spot?

The guy has an insanely good fc record Nikita Miller | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
He already played for the one day team and looked garbage, no tricks up his sleeve whatsoever and way too defensive, his last appearance for us was at the world cup, where he was eventually replaced by the then unknown Bishoo.

Spinners tend to dominate our four day competition so his record is not that special tbh, his teammate Odean Brown also has a good record but can't get anywhere near the team because he's just like Miller, no tricks at all, the left-arm spinners we're really hopeful about though is lads like Kavesh Kantasingh and Veerasammy Permaul who are both young and have bright futures,

So we do have good spin prospects, of course no-one more bigger than the lad Sunil Narine, who was a million miles ahead of everyone in the three four day games he played before the recent ODI series, he got 31 wickets in those three games at an average of 9!! :laugh: .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Would love to have seen Narine bowling at the Aussies on that final day. Would probably have backed WI.
I think the odds would have been in our favor without doubt, especially when you consider what Deonarine manage to do in the end, Trinidad is gonna be a spinners track, it's not that conducive for pacers so we're hopeful that this might be a test we can win, the question will be do we start with two spinners? here is the options..

1. Bishoo, Shilly, Sammy and Roach

2. Shilly, Sammy, Rampaul and Roach

Even though Rampaul is a pacer he knows the track really well which gives him an advantage, we'd also have Deonarine to partner Shilly, i don't know which option they'll go for, Bishoo has been terrible of late but can we drop him on a spinners pitch? that's gonna be a question the selectors will have to answer.

TNT

Banned
If Australia play Pattison he will clean up the Windies no doubt giving Australia a big victory in the second test.