• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Does anyone else think this Test was a perfect example of why averages can be a load of **** and why a positive mindset is looked upon more favourably when judging players?

How many other countries would have went for the win, not many at all.
+1, Hussey averages 50+ tho tbf, good example of why both need not necessarily be mutually exclusive.

Spark

Global Moderator
Does anyone else think this Test was a perfect example of why averages can be a load of **** and why a positive mindset is looked upon more favourably when judging players?

I just quoted Burgey as I'm pretty sure he'll agree. Smali, what would Misbah have done? I'm guessing if Hafeez got out for a similar score as Warner, draw would have been the teams goal.
Dhoni/Fletcher had a situation which wasn't that dissimilar to this last year and pulled the plug. I don't think it's quite in the same category, but Strauss pulled the plug early after having SL three or four down in the last innings at Lord's which surprised a lot of us (given what had happened in the previous Test). I think you're right, few captains would've gone for the win in the way Clarke had. The common philosophy nowadays is make sure you can't lose, then go for the win.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King

I just quoted Burgey as I'm pretty sure he'll agree. Smali, what would Misbah have done? I'm guessing if Hafeez got out for a similar score as Warner, draw would have been the teams goal.
haha.....dude Misbah is one of the most defensive captains going around as far as batting is concerned (his own or the team's). He isn't quite as defensive with the bowling though

TNT

Banned
That declaration had Ponting written all over it, I bet he influenced Pup.

Ponting was the most aggressive captian when it came to declaring.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard call but I'd rest Harris from the second test as he admitted that he was very sore before play yesterday and as the next test starts on Sunday, better to be safe than sorry especially with his record

Furthermore, we're not going to lose anything by playing Pattinson anyway

Spark

Global Moderator
Hard call but I'd rest Harris from the second test as he admitted that he was very sore before play yesterday and as the next test starts on Sunday, better to be safe than sorry especially with his record

Furthermore, we're not going to lose anything by playing Pattinson anyway
Bound to happen, tbh. OK with giving him a rest, he's done his bit.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
unless you're talking about the Great Crematorium Disaster, which has nothing to do with cricket

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he must. i mean, how could a batting line-up featuring watson, ponting,clarke and hussey and a bowling line-up featuring siddle and hilf feature in an "Ashes disaster"

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just gutted about the result, in reality we didn't deserve to lose this game but if we'd drawn it it would have just covered over the cracks anyway, so i'll gladly accept a defeat if it means certain issues will be sorted out, firstly i knew that Clark decision would haunt us in the end, and i was right, had we got the decision that changes the whole picture, we didn't help ourselves at all by allowing their tail to wag for so long though, it happend in the second test vs Pakistan last year where again we were all over them but just couldn't finish them off and in the end we lost,

Changes to the attack MUST be made imo, and word is that's gonna happen, Shillingford will replace Bishoo and Rampaul will probably step in for Edwards, both Bishoo and Edwards have been shambolic for the last four tests now and i'm delighted they are gonna be left out, Trinidad is a spinners pitch and i'm praying by some miracle that Sammy gets lefts out for another spinner, but that would obviously make too much sense for the selectors to think that way!! :@ ,

The batting is just strange, in our last three tests we've hit 461 , 590 and 449 but still we've lost two and could have easily lost the third!!..it's just madness how great and crap we can be in the same test, when we're defensive we build up big scores, but when we try to attack we end up falling short, and that's something that needs to be addressed asap,

The sad part is even with just 192 to defend yesterday i think if we had Narine on that track we would have won that game, Gayle at the top would have given us something too, the board really need to sit down and figure something out, because the players we are missing right now because of the bloody IPL would have really made a difference for us, if you can't have your best players on the park you're always likely to come up short in the end.

Andre

International Regular
Just gutted about the result, in reality we didn't deserve to lose this game but if we'd drawn it it would have just covered over the cracks anyway, so i'll gladly accept a defeat if it means certain issues will be sorted out, firstly i knew that Clark decision would haunt us in the end, and i was right, had we got the decision that changes the whole picture
Na mate, you did deserve to lose after your 2nd innings batting effort. That's where Test matches are won and lost - that 3rd innings - and the top/middle order can squarely be blamed for losing you that one.

As for the Clarke 'dismissal' being the difference... See above point.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Na mate, you did deserve to lose after your 2nd innings batting effort. That's where Test matches are won and lost - that 3rd innings - and the top/middle order can squarely be blamed for losing you that one.

As for the Clarke 'dismissal' being the difference... See above point.
Erm well Clark was on 21 when the decision was reversed, and Australia would have been 124/4, he went on to get 73 runs, you can't tell me that didn't make a difference in the game!! 8-) , at the time our tails were up and Australia were in huge trouble, the top order let us down in the second innings yes, but we probably would have had a much bigger lead if the Clark decision had been given out, and that changes everything.

uvelocity

International Coach
well for starters its Clarke

and secondly a lot of things could have happened differently, but guess what they didn't. No point crying over lost test.

Bit disappointed about hearing about some really delaying tactics too, watching highlights now

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's not "crying" actually it's called telling the TRUTH, if it was the other way around i'm sure there would have been a fire storm around here!! 8-) .

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah well carry on focussing on that one incident in a game that lasted 5 days. Your boys had every chance but couldn't take them in the end.