• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah bloody Daniel Flynn, should've scored at least two 100's in the three innings he's had this season. Forget that he's coming back from a serious hip injury and hasn't scored any runs at any level this summer, the guy is totally blowing his chance here....
Bro i know that. I've been following Daniel Flynn for years. I said it was a shame he wasn't scoring runs because he did look likely for a spot in the test side not too long ago. I never said he was a chance of making the South African tests. I've already said in the past it was too late for him to make a run for the side even if he did score a couple of hundreds.

And leave your dots at home.

For me it should be out of:

Neil Broom- out of form but one of the best first class players not to play test cricket
Daniel Flynn- showed potential and still pretty young. He's been out for a long time and it might be a bit late for him to make a run for the spot.
James Franklin- averages 90+ in the season so far and has international experience. He's in the T20 squad so he's not entirely blacklisted.
Jesse Ryder- depends if he gets through the three PS games before the test match. If he does that might be enough.

Neil Broom was the biggest failure from memory selection-wise. We pick him in ODIs the format he's not overly great at and half of the games he played for us he was basically playing a finisher role so he was destined to fail. He's just out of form at the wrong times which is a shame. Daniel Flynn is much the same with his injury.

I don't think Nicol and Wells should be in the mix for a spot like this. The test match number 5 should be selected from our next best first class batsman.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brodie scoring runs, Wells scoring runs :thumbsup:

A few years ago it seemed that ND had all the promising bowlers. Then it was CD. Canterbury next? I like the look of some of their quicks, even if they're struggling today.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How great to be the next batsman in after a mammoth partnership. Brodie and Papps put on 250 and when Papps gets out, Boam goes first ball. Gutting.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Arnel is good though. I think he can crack it at Test level, and have an O'Brien-esque comeback and hopefully go onto do better. If you just look at his stats they're not flash, but if you remember some of the Tests he bowled in, he was not the worst in most of them.
That's not a good way to measure a bowler (it's mediocre tbh) but he outperformed Martin and Southee yet they didn't receive as much flack as he did.
Disagree. Although he has taken the odd good wicket in tests. I mainly just remember him being gun barrel straight. Bracewell is twice as dangerous as he is. As is Martin as is Southee.

I don't mind an argument being made that he is the 5th best bowler in the country after Boult. But I don't think any other country in the world would take him in the top 8 teams anyway.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, was a good accurate medium pacer, but without swing he simply didn't have anything that would consistently worry batsmen at the top level, especially given that New Zealand pitches tend to be a lot browner than they used to be.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Disagree. Although he has taken the odd good wicket in tests. I mainly just remember him being gun barrel straight. Bracewell is twice as dangerous as he is. As is Martin as is Southee.

I don't mind an argument being made that he is the 5th best bowler in the country after Boult. But I don't think any other country in the world would take him in the top 8 teams anyway.
Sri Lanka would take him IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
76/6, but Auckland's tail (C Martin excepted) is pretty strong, so I'm not counting on a win just yet. Gillespie has been on fire of late.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, Munro's in form and Bruce Martin's no slouch. Still, Auckland need to more than double their score with only 4 wickets remaining to make Wellington bat again.

Anyone know what the points table situation looks like atm for the Plunket Shield?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand Cricket - Plunket Shield Points Table
Reasonable weather forecast should see the good guys collect 2 batting pts, 4 bowling pts and 12 outright win pts, taking our total to 63.

Unfortunately ND also look set for an outright win, with an additional 4 one-hand-one-bounce-wait-till-it-rolls-off-the-roof pts. Will put them 17 ahead, Wgtn second.

Some dismissals from the current round (will maybe edit and add as more are available) -
Vettori http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/f92d1811-04dc-4231-a4a5-bad176816e06/1_041_03.mp4
Watling http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/f92d1811-04dc-4231-a4a5-bad176816e06/1_054_02.mp4
Flynn http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/f92d1811-04dc-4231-a4a5-bad176816e06/1_057_03.mp4
Latham 1st inns http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/f92d1811-04dc-4231-a4a5-bad176816e06/2_013_01.mp4, 2nd inns http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/f92d1811-04dc-4231-a4a5-bad176816e06/4_046_06.mp4

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Kitchen and Munro put on a decent partnership, but a 10 wicket match for Mark Gillespie sees Wellington only need 42 to win. Reckon they'll lose a few chasing that down in typical Wellington style.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Barely believable that Wellington will now be second in the Plunket Shield.

For Aucks, what a woeful season it has been for Tmac. What has happened to Andrew de Boorder?

Canterbury must be kicking themselves too - bottom of the table and iirc every match they've been in a good position at some point and then failed miserably. Need more Rob Nicol :cool:

Howsie

International Captain

For Aucks, what a woeful season it has been for Tmac. What has happened to Andrew de Boorder?

Canterbury must be kicking themselves too - bottom of the table and iirc every match they've been in a good position at some point and then failed miserably. Need more Rob Nicol :cool:
It's not surprising though considering how insanely young their squad is this season. This season will probably pay massive dividends for them in a year or two.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
True, and on the back of 16 wickets @ 11 for "the worst-performed player" in the worst side of the HRV Cup, the Dom Post firing Gillespie up about a month ago.

His only 5fer in tests included Kallis, ABdV and Boucher, so despite the way Vettori used him as a tool to prove a point re: Chris Martin he could be just one injury to the pace quartet away. :ph34r:

Last edited: