• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Lostman

State Captain
I reckon the top five should be locked in as:

1. Jayawardene
2. Dilshan
3. Sangakkara
4. Chandimal
5. Mathews
For the sake of balance alone, I would have Mathews at 6 with Thiramine at 5. Followed by Maharoof and Perera.
Maharoof deserves a run in the ODI side, can't believe they picked him for tests against England and then dropped him for the ODI's.

One point of concern is #1-3 would be 38+ by the time of the next WC, but at least some of the younger guys are given chances now.

Migara

International Coach
Good post. Bhanuka Rajapakse would be the ideal candidate to step into that slot I reckon, but the trouble is that he seems to drift in and out of form quite a bit. He's one of those guys who has done exceptionally well in school level cricket (which is taken more seriously here than even club cricket probably) and has the ability to dominate and take attacks apart. He probably isn't ready for the national side yet although he would probably feature fairly regularly in the A team at this point.

For the moment they probably have to settle for Thirimanne at 5 and Mathews at 6. Who knows, Thirimanne may prove to be useful in this format even if his role is just to turn strike over and score at a run-a-ball rate.

I'm certainly liking the look of the side with Mahela opening though. A few more little changes like that and our balance will be fabulous imo.
Top six of MJ, Dilshan, Sanga, Chandimal, Thiri and Mathews looks impressive. The age old problem has been selecting a #7, which SL never had. Even in their golden run of 96 - 98 they did not have a proper #7. Instead depended on an average #7 to follow with better than average #8/9 in Chandana, Dharmasena or Vaas. Some times Vaas batted at #10, and SL team had quite a batting depth.

The current problem is that none of the bowlers are as good as Chandana, Dharmasena or Vaas as ODI batsmen (tests for that matter), and a better #7 is needed. Maharoof should have been the candidate by grooming as a batsman, but selectors spilled the chance by grooming him as a bowler and an average one at that. Maharoof if full flow as a batsman is a daunting opposition, because of his ability to hit straight and big. Chinthaka Jayasinghe should have been tried 4 - 5 years ago, but now he's in his 30s. Once again he is a strong hitter and a useful fast medium bowler.

May be, Angeolo Perera would be the answer. He's young and hits the ball hard and bowls some useful left arm spin. Bhanuka Rajapakshe is not a finisher. He's best suited at top of the innings to go after bowling in power plays.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As per usual Ponting doesn't learn from his mistakes as captain - the fool won the toss again

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wtf, Channel 9 advertised this match in Sydney just then. **** myself and was about to go run to the SCG. But double checked it was a Brisbane game.

****ing C9.

ajdude

International Coach
how dare channel nine show the toss on delay, they should advertise from 1:30 to 2:00 as "Cricket: The Toss" or something, it deserves it's own show ffs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah would rather not have 30 minutes more of Nicholas thanks. Will watch Sally Pearson huffing and puffing over that ****.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wtf, Channel 9 advertised this match in Sydney just then. **** myself and was about to go run to the SCG. But double checked it was a Brisbane game.

****ing C9.
the next aus india game is in sydney. pretty much sold out iirc