• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Days of Grace

International Captain
Jarvis doing well for CD. Good on him.

**** me, don't know what to think about Jesse. Was he just playing the ball on its merits, or is he just so much more talented than the others, or was he just having a ****ing laugh?

Woodster

International Captain
Not sure it's a great move for Jarvis though. Blokes of his pace can certainly do well in NZ cricket - see Aldridge, McSkimming, Arnel, Mason etc. But it doesn't necessarily set them up for international stuff. Maybe he should go play grade cricket in Australia on flat decks.
I would agree that he does need to experience cricket on those sort of decks but I don't personally think it's vital he does it at this stage of his development. He has only played 14 first-class games so far and while vary talented, is some way from the finished article. I don't think a spell in a pretty decent first-class competition will do his progress any harm at all. Steve Finn did not experience a particularly successful spell for Otago in terms of wicket-taking, but he will have gained the knowledge of how to bowl in slightly different conditions than he's used to and I'd suggest he's at a far more advanced stage in his career than Jarvis.

Hopefully Jarvis will build on his confidence in this period and have more trust in his own action and belief in his game in order to move on to the more demanding pitches such as the flat decks of Australia, and even the less appealing tracks of the sub-continent. They don't, imo, need to rush with Jarvis and can just allow him to bowl in all kinds of conditions. There will be stiffer tests for him ahead than this current stint, but his game will hopefully be more prepared for those challenges.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure it's a great move for Jarvis though. Blokes of his pace can certainly do well in NZ cricket - see Aldridge, McSkimming, Arnel, Mason etc. But it doesn't necessarily set them up for international stuff. Maybe he should go play grade cricket in Australia on flat decks.
The pitches in New Zealand domestic cricket have been a fair bit flatter the last few seasons though (certainly far flatter than you'd find in Australian grade cricket!), and bowlers of even more meagre pace than those you listed do exceptionally well in Australian grade cricket competitions. I'm a big rap on Sydney grade cricket but there's no doubt that the Plunket Shield was a better option for him.

Incidentally he was a tearaway quick (bowled regularly over 140) until 18 months or so ago when he had a bad injury, but he was absolutely rubbish then. Give me the Jarvis who bowls medium pace but bowls well and takes wickets any day of the week.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The key is to sign in and start watching some highlights in your normal way, then copy & paste this link into the tab and hit enter -
highlights.blackcaps.co.nz/matches.aspx

There's actually not only highlights in there, click on any match you want, then click on the batsman's figure in the balls column to watch their whole innings, the runs column to watch their run-scoring, etc.
You, sir, are my favourite person.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Good to see Jesse showing the grit and determination needed to return to test cricket.
It's not really grit and determination that is needed. It's not even form. Everybody knows he is talented.

It's his fitness.
Apparently he is on a fitness program, so only time will tell. Seeing a lean and mean Jesse Ryder by the end of the year would be ****ing awesome. I hope he does it.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's not really grit and determination that is needed. It's not even form. Everybody knows he is talented.

It's his fitness.
Apparently he is on a fitness program, so only time will tell. Seeing a lean and mean Jesse Ryder by the end of the year would be ****ing awesome. I hope he does it.

No, but he does need to show that he's not batting like a headless chicken as he was in Aus, and this kind of innings doesn't really show he's worked on that at all.

BeeGee

International Captain
**** me, don't know what to think about Jesse. Was he just playing the ball on its merits, or is he just so much more talented than the others, or was he just having a ****ing laugh?
That's just the way he plays, gets drunk, eats, throws up, gets hungover, doesn't show up for practice, etc.

He is "so much more talented than the others", and that is both the good and the bad of Jesse Ryder. He possibly has the most raw talent of any batsman NZ has produced since MD Crowe, but that talent is why he doesn't think he needs to improve his game or his fitness, he can just cruise along on talent alone and not have to put in any kind of real effort. :dry:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
He played the pacemen with occasional respect, looked largely like a "I'm not in your ODI plans why?" type innings though. Hit 3 consecutive sixes within the first four balls he'd faced of Astle. Dismissal was soft, holing out to long on with Wgtn still nowhere near a lead.

I've thought of a small (still all above board) way around the video links problem. Here's Jesse running a 3 off his first ball -
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/a66e2fdf-2bc7-4802-b995-e55f42491d33/2_019_05.mp4

Guptill's roof shot, if anyone wants -
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/0b965777-c017-499a-977b-3117b66a0a23/2_006_05.mp4

BeeGee

International Captain
He played the pacemen with occasional respect, looked largely like a "I'm not in your ODI plans why?" type innings though. Hit 3 consecutive sixes within the first four balls he'd faced of Astle. Dismissal was soft, holing out to long on with Wgtn still nowhere near a lead.

I've thought of a small (still all above board) way around the video links problem. Here's Jesse running a 3 off his first ball -
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/a66e2fdf-2bc7-4802-b995-e55f42491d33/2_019_05.mp4

Guptill's roof shot, if anyone wants -
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/0b965777-c017-499a-977b-3117b66a0a23/2_006_05.mp4
Excellent work, mate. :thumbsup:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Although it's difficult to say for sure from a 15 second clip, Jesse's looking a but slimmer there.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Sorry to hear of the death of Peter Sharp. For foreign folk he was a regular on radio commentary here, based out of Christchurch. He was easily my favourite local commentator with a good voice for radio. Importantly, he had a cricket background and you felt he actually did some research on players he might not know too well so he could actually inform the listeners.