• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest six

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just wondering what the biggest six is that everyone's seen since they started showing measurements in the TV coverage of games.

Martin Guptill's 127m shot tonight against South Africa must be up there.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well I really have no idea how big 127m is but I'm pretty confident they didn't get much more than 100-110 when they were keeping track at the World Cup. It must be up there.

A few candidates I can think of:

Albert Trott hitting it over the pavilon Lord's

Chris Gayle hitting Brett Lee onto the street at the Oval

Afridi hitting one into the third tier at the MCG

I think there's a story about a South African during the isolation years hitting a ball in Cape Town that ended up in Johannesburg thanks to a passing truck, but i don't think that's actually true.

Burgey

I knocked one onto the footy field at McCredie Park at Guildford a couple of years ago. Fair hit. Would be at least 128m

Burgey

Of those I've seen, Mark Waugh's onto the roof of the Lillee-Marsh Stand in Perth is the biggest, but it wasn't measured.

Even if they did measure where it landed, it was about 60 metres up on the roof. It may still be going hadthe roof not got in the way.

ajdude

International Coach
Of those I've seen, Mark Waugh's onto the roof of the Lillee-Marsh Stand in Perth is the biggest, but it wasn't measured.

Even if they did measure where it landed, it was about 60 metres up on the roof. It may still be going hadthe roof not got in the way.
they measured it during the perth test this year, it went roughly 104m from memory

iirc gayle hit a 122m six off brett lee in 2009 at the oval

Burgey

they measured it during the perth test this year, it went roughly 104m from memory

iirc gayle hit a 122m six off brett lee in 2009 at the oval
Yeah but if it goes 104 to the roof which is 60 odd metres in the air, how far would it have gone?

Some stats nerd on here will have the prevailing breeze that day written down and can work it out with a protractor and a bloody abacus, surely? It'd be a hundred times more useful than a lot of the **** they come up with.

They know who they are. Get onto it ffs.

Last edited:

Satguru

Banned
How big was the one Ponting hit off Sidebottom a few years ago?
Dont know if it was the biggest, but its probably the most amazing six ive ever seen

ajdude

International Coach
Yeah but if it goes 104 to the roof which is 60 off metres in the air, how far would it have gone?

Some stats nerd on here will have the prevailing breeze that day written down and can work it out with a protractor and bloody abacus, surely? It'd be a hundred times more useful than a lot of the **** they come up with.

They know who they are. Get onto it ffs.
yeah exactly you're right, it's the same with any of them, like they land in the stands yet they still have some distance to travel

ajdude

International Coach
How big was the one Ponting hit off Sidebottom a few years ago?
Dont know if it was the biggest, but its probably the most amazing six ive ever seen
ohh that straight six, jesus christ that was good...i seem to remember hussey hitting an amazing straight six v india in the 09 odis as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNPRA7RTRPs there's the ponting one

also brett lee's six that went out of the gabba v WI was massive

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there's a story about a South African during the isolation years hitting a ball in Cape Town that ended up in Johannesburg thanks to a passing truck, but i don't think that's actually true.
This actually came up in this year's Cricketer Christmas quiz:

"Jimmy Sinclair played 25 Tests for South Africa while also managing to play rugby for both England & South Africa. A ball which he had hit for a six at the old Wanderers' Ground in Johannesburg landed on a train bound for Port Elizabeth and was only recovered at that destination 556 miles away - surely the furthest that any ball has ever been hit."
Love actualities? | Sky Sports | Cricket | Columnists | Benedict Bermange

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well I really have no idea how big 127m is but I'm pretty confident they didn't get much more than 100-110 when they were keeping track at the World Cup. It must be up there.

A few candidates I can think of:

Albert Trott hitting it over the pavilon Lord's

Chris Gayle hitting Brett Lee onto the street at the Oval

Afridi hitting one into the third tier at the MCG

Wasn't at the 'G was it?

EDIT: esp. not if it's the one that was linked in the thread.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Building on what Howe_zat posted regarding Albert Trott, and adding to the Pollard clip above, Pollard apparently hit a massive six at Lords in 2010 which nearly replicated Trott's hit over 100 years earlier. You get a vague idea of the hit from 3:50 in the video below but the camera's only positioned on the pitch so obviously you can't track the trajectory of the ball:
Middlesex Panthers v Somerset FP t20 highlights.flv - YouTube