• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

pup11

International Coach
The thing I don't think pup11 has considered is that for Bailey to play, someone else has to be dropped - or tell someone else to have a rest. Now as above I have no problem dropping Warner because he scarcely deserves to be in the NSW OD team much less the Australian OD team. But pup11 recently said:

So presumably pup11 would not open with Ponting in this match if we were to drop Warner for Bailey. So who does he open with? Wade? Yes. Bailey? No. Forrest? No. Dussey? No. Mussey? No. Chrisitan? No. So he's missing an opener for his team. But we have a lot of people who can bat at 5.

And it's probably why it opens a door for Haddin to be the man captaining. Although I don't think they'll actually drop Warner. And so with that said, there's more chance of Warner captaining in Friday's match than Bailey
#Warner
#Wade
#Ponting
#Bailey
#Mussey
#Dussey
#Christian
#Faulkner/Pattinson/Cutting
#McKay
#Starc
#XD

If Clarke isn't fit then this should be a pretty decent XI for the next block of ODI's that's of course unless people think Forrest is a better OD player than Bailey.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I just find it funny that Muss isn't considered an option because he's "cursed". I don't see anyone saying he's tactically inept just that the forces of evil have put a bane on the team causing it to lose when he has a bracketed C next to his name.

Spark

Global Moderator
I just find it funny that Muss isn't considered an option because he's "cursed". I don't see anyone saying he's tactically inept just that the forces of evil have put a bane on the team causing it to lose when he has a bracketed C next to his name.
Pretty much.

EDIT: Possibly the same forces of evil that are responsible for Clarke's Test record at #4.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Clarke isn't fit then this should be a pretty decent XI for the next block of ODI's that's of course unless people think Forrest is a better OD player than Bailey.

well for some reason i wouldn't drop the guy who just made 66 on debut for a guy with a hardly earth shattering OD record

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah in the last match. Can't remember anything else

Of course I have no problem getting Bailey in the team, for I would drop Warner, move Ponting to opener, and bat Bailey at 3/4, which I actually could see happening when the squad gets named tomorrow. (although I don't see it happening as much as I see Warner being made captain happening) But in pup11's little world he has a hellvua lot of trouble getting Bailey in the team.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Would grooming the next captain so early on during Clarke's reign undermine his (Clarke's) leadership?

[/thought]

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would grooming the next captain so early on during Clarke's reign undermine his (Clarke's) leadership?

[/thought]
Bailey wouldn't be the next captain even if he was actually a good batsman; he's only one year younger than Clarke.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes.

Once.
Aah true, made 70/80 odd last match right? Either way, immense limited overs form...

Must admit that although it's only a slim chance of happening (given Inverarity's comments on the matter), I'll be disappointed if Ferguson doesn't get a crack in this series. No doubt he's been in rubbish form in FC cricket, but the man is undoubtedly a very good OD batsmen (and has OD form to boot).

pup11

International Coach
Yeah in the last match. Can't remember anything else

Of course I have no problem getting Bailey in the team, for I would drop Warner, move Ponting to opener, and bat Bailey at 3/4, which I actually could see happening when the squad gets named tomorrow. (although I don't see it happening as much as I see Warner being made captain happening) But in pup11's little world he has a hellvua lot of trouble getting Bailey in the team.
How on earth are we gonna develop a decent side if we keep dropping guys without giving them a long rope, Warner's talent is for all to see and you gotta give him time to develop, good young players just don't pop from nowhere like wild mushrooms one has to be patient with them something we just haven't done. Also everyone questioing Bailey's credentials tend to be forgetting that Forrest has done absolutely little in his domestic career apart from scoring a few runs for the Bulls this season and that too in FC cricket, his OD average this season is 21.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I'd def stick with Warner. His record is pretty lousy as it stands, but there aren't any good reasons I can see as to why he wouldn't make an awesome OD batsman in the longer term. I really want Warner to succeed in the test arena as well...the team desperately needs a young batsman who can hold his own, and the more exposure on the big stage he gets the better imo.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's match and loved Dhoni's inning under the situations. He would've probably played slightly differently if there were more wickets at hand/required RR was a little lower.

When I saw 40 runs required off last 30 balls I knew Dhoni would leave the hitting for the last 1/2 overs...Our next two batsmen in line were Jadeja and Ashwin who are very useful ODI batsmen but aren't generally known for their big hitting. Had Dhoni been out at that time 9 out of 10 times I wouldn't expect Jadeja and Ashwin to score 40 in 29 deliveries TBH. They are reliable for 40 in 45 kind of chases, but not for 40 in 29, no. On the other hand, 13 off the last over with Dhoni in the crease would mean 50% chance for us. Had Rohit been playing at that time Dhoni would have gone for it, because he would have known that Raina is in next.

When he hit that six in the 4th last delivery, all I did was 'SCREAM'.

pup11

International Coach
Aah true, made 70/80 odd last match right? Either way, immense limited overs form...

Must admit that although it's only a slim chance of happening (given Inverarity's comments on the matter), I'll be disappointed if Ferguson doesn't get a crack in this series. No doubt he's been in rubbish form in FC cricket, but the man is undoubtedly a very good OD batsmen (and has OD form to boot).
Likes of Cooper, George and Ferguson play for South Australia so for the selectors they don't exist....

Ruckus

International Captain
Captaincy should def go to Ponting. Who gives a rats about whether it will make him lose focus on his own game, or if he feels past it etc. It's probably only going to be for one match anyway. I'm sure he can deal with that 'pressure'.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
What about M Hussey? Didn't he captain a game in recent years? Although if Ponting's in the side it makes sense to go with him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not hating on him, but saying he should captain Friday's ODI has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
I definitely agree with you there, however I don't see him as being the worst option for the T20 side. When he was selected for the T20Is, he was in decent enough form - batting 5 in T20 is pretty difficult to look impressive doing, 19 isn't a terrible average - and yet everybody panned the move. As far as middle order bats went in the BBL, nobody really demanded selection.

Obviously this Friday there are many, many better options to replace Clarke, but at least he's not Tom freaking Cooper.

Ponting should captain. Warner should never get that opportunity IMO. Not captaincy material at all.