• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

ganeshran

International Debutant
That would be the logical move but (a) Clarke will probably push hard for Ponting, and (b) Mussey is cursed.
Ya that would most probably be the case since Clarke and Ponting enjoy a good rapport but I hope Mhussey is given a chance.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Mate.. Bailey has transformed an ordinary Tassie side into one of the top domestic sides in the country under his captaincy, he is a very good batsman and currently in pretty good form, in all of this we also shouldn't forget that Ponting too might not be too keen to captain the side anymore.
Is Bailey even in contention for selection to the ODI team as of now? Making him skipper is preposterous in a side which is already hurt by Clarke's absence. MHussey is best choice provided Ponting doesnt want to be a stand -in

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why.. what's the problem with that? He's hands down the best skipper in domestic cricket atm and he is in pretty good form atm as well, its all fine to keep saying that likes of Ponting and Hussey should make way for newer players but for that to happen you need to give the next gen of players chances to see where exactly they stand at this level.
But we aren't saying that ffs.

pup11

International Coach
I look forward to seeing the amazing transformative role he can have in his first match on the top-ranked ODI side in the world normally led by one of the most well-regarded captains in the world game.
Regardless of how good a side you have you need a good skipper otherwise the best of sides could look ordinary, for example a bloke like Hussey failed to win a single game with this same top-ranked ODI side.

Spark

Global Moderator
Regardless of how good a side you have you need a good skipper otherwise the best of sides could look ordinary, for example a bloke like Hussey failed to win a single game with this same top-ranked ODI side.
A fair point. After all teams led by Ricky Ponting have really struggled to win ODIs in the past.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any particular reason for the masses of anti-Bailey sentiment? Admittedly he shouldn't be anywhere near the ODI captaincy, as Pup11 suggests, but he's not exactly the worst option when it comes to a middle-order batsman. Plus, he's a decent enough T20 #5 and a good captain. For the life of me I can't understand why there's so much hate for him.

uvelocity

International Coach
hey **** i'm still waiting
what ****?

Clarke will miss a few imo

Will give selectors perfect opportunity to bring back Haddin, who will fail, seal his fate, and be dropped for finals. Will go to windies as backup only.

Bailey talk nonsense except perhaps just to set a stupid record he can be remembered by, the only player to debut as captain in two formats for Australia. Even inversely less chance of it happening than the amount of stupidity required for it to.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is there any particular reason for the masses of anti-Bailey sentiment? Admittedly he shouldn't be anywhere near the ODI captaincy, as Pup11 suggests, but he's not exactly the worst option when it comes to a middle-order batsman. Plus, he's a decent enough T20 #5 and a good captain. For the life of me I can't understand why there's so much hate for him.
I'm not hating on him, but saying he should captain Friday's ODI has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah it's a shame that, with Clarke injured, Australia don't have a proven international captain in the team. If only we hadn't bowed to public pressure and dropped Ponting, he could captain.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's a shame that, with Clarke injured, Australia don't have a proven international captain in the team. If only we hadn't bowed to public pressure and dropped Ponting, he could captain.
Already done the glib sarcastic reply, ****

pup11

International Coach
But we aren't saying that ffs.
The critics are certainly saying that and one has gotta be realisitic about the situation that he won't be around forever and we have to start looking for blokes who could replace him and other senior members of the squad and a such a long series is the perfect platform to do that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The critics are certainly saying that and one has gotta be realisitic about the situation that he won't be around forever and we have to start looking for blokes who could replace him and other senior members of the squad and a such a long series is the perfect platform to do that.
Well go tell them that they have to start picking mediocre batsmen from Shield cricket. It might make them STFU if they realise who the alternatives actually are at this point.

Spark

Global Moderator
And with our captain, second most experienced player and most in-form batsman out of the side and with the series still reasonably close, this is the perfect time to be ramping up the experimentation on unproven players in the international side despite the rest of the batting faltering slightly. Indeed.

pup11

International Coach
Seriously what even makes you think Ponting would even want to lead the side even if its on a short-term basis after being thrown out from the post against his will less than 12 months ago, Clarke has a hamstring problem which usually means a long lay-off period and last thing Ponting needs right now is to worry about captaincy all over again.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing I don't think pup11 has considered is that for Bailey to play, someone else has to be dropped - or tell someone else to have a rest. Now as above I have no problem dropping Warner because he scarcely deserves to be in the NSW OD team much less the Australian OD team. But pup11 recently said:

Also I'm pretty sure some Ponting critics might be sharpening their knives yet again but seriously what's up with constantly moving him around in the order, either you bat him at 3 or just open with him for remainder of his time, I would have thought he deserves that much if nothing else after all he has done for this team.
So presumably pup11 would not open with Ponting in this match if we were to drop Warner for Bailey. So who does he open with? Wade? Yes. Bailey? No. Forrest? No. Dussey? No. Mussey? No. Chrisitan? No. So he's missing an opener for his team. But we have a lot of people who can bat at 5.

And it's probably why it opens a door for Haddin to be the man captaining. Although I don't think they'll actually drop Warner. And so with that said, there's more chance of Warner captaining in Friday's match than Bailey