• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Gambhir seems to be acting like Sehwag's surrogate mouthpiece. Definitely seems to be a divide between the boys from up North, and Dhoni.

Dhoni might be **** at Test match batting, seem listless captaining the team, but goddamn if he isn't the coolest, most self-assured ODI batsman since Michael Bevan. Unreal nerves.

pup11

International Coach
you have got to be ****ting me
Why.. what's the problem with that? He's hands down the best skipper in domestic cricket atm and he is in pretty good form atm as well, its all fine to keep saying that likes of Ponting and Hussey should make way for newer players but for that to happen you need to give the next gen of players chances to see where exactly they stand at this level.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Ponting is playing and Clarke isn't then Ponting should captain. By faaaaaaaar the best option, especially since he's been de facto VC for a year.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He should have opened instead of Wasim ****ing Jaffer back when India toured Australia in 2007/08 (I know Jaffer was getting runs in India heading into the Australia tour, which made him undroppable) maybe he would have had those 4 years to improve, adjust and get better.

He still has time, but less time than he should have. Instead now, in the prime of his batting years, he still is absolutely woeful against the short ball.

Whilst its partly his fault, it also is a sign of BCCI not handling a potential asset properly.
It may be the case in hindsight but IIRC Jaffer just had a pretty good tour of England before the last Australia series and was scoring crucial runs in home series.

And at that time Gambhir wasn't that good either tbh, and still had big doubts over his technique. Not to forget he wasn't getting real big runs and didn't look convincing in whatever oppurtunities that were given to him.

He finall arrived in the last CB series and that is where his upward trajectory started, but before that there were certainly doubts about him stepping up and justifiably so. His progression may have been late but more than his talent, it's his top fighting attitude that has played a part in that.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh without a doubt I am playing 100% hindsight king in that post.

Jaffer was undroppable heading into Australia. But after he faced 3 balls it became obviously he was going to struggle hard.

pup11

International Coach
If Ponting is playing and Clarke isn't then Ponting should captain. By faaaaaaaar the best option, especially since he's been de facto VC for a year.
Ponting isn't scoring any runs atm so he should be allowed to concentarte on his game rather than worry about the burdens of captaincy even if its only for a few games, in fact there should be case for resting him before the final leg of the series.

Spark

Global Moderator
As opposed to a debutant having to worry about the burdens of captaincy, especially when the team is firmly established under an existing captain...?

pup11

International Coach
As opposed to a debutant having to worry about the burdens of captaincy, especially when the team is firmly established under an existing captain...?
He is already the T20 captain and by all accounts he is a very good player and should be playing ahead of guys like Forrest regardless of his innings last night, Bailey is just a natural leader and captaining the side is something that he is clearly comfortable with so I don't see why it should be a problem.

Spark

Global Moderator
He is already the T20 captain and by all accounts he is a very good player and should be playing ahead of guys like Forrest regardless of his innings last night, Bailey is just a natural leader and captaining the side is something that he is clearly comfortable with so I don't see why it should be a problem.
That's illuminating.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
anyway i'd just drop warner, bring haddin back, open with him and wade, make haddin captain and then stand back and read everything written with a **** eating grin on my face

ganeshran

International Debutant
Bailey for ODI captaincy? :wacko:

If Clarke isnt captain and selectors dont want to go back to Ponting, the side should be led by Mike Hussey.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bailey for ODI captaincy? :wacko:

If Clarke isnt captain and selectors dont want to go back to Ponting, the side should be led by Mike Hussey.
That would be the logical move but (a) Clarke will probably push hard for Ponting, and (b) Mussey is cursed.

pup11

International Coach
That's illuminating.
Mate.. Bailey has transformed an ordinary Tassie side into one of the top domestic sides in the country under his captaincy, he is a very good batsman and currently in pretty good form, in all of this we also shouldn't forget that Ponting too might not be too keen to captain the side anymore.

Spark

Global Moderator
I look forward to seeing the amazing transformative role he can have in his first match on the top-ranked ODI side in the world normally led by one of the most well-regarded captains in the world game.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the hobart groundsman and shrewd squad selections have transformed tassie into one of the top domestic squads in the country. i mean i don't think bailey had too much to do with picking up cowan, cosgrove, bird, maher etc